Thread locking of DIY horn / compression driver discussion

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Thread locking of DIY horn / compression driver discussi

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jeffbabcock wrote:la malta,
Sorry for slow reply,
I would not say the Eminence CD's are "unlistenable"... that's going way too far. Having heard most of the models (PSD's & NSD's but not ASD's) on a variety of projects and horns, I think they are OK, just not quite in the same league as some other higher quality products.
By the same token saying a Toyota isn't in the same class as a Mercedes isn't knocking Toyota. Though maybe Toyota isn't the best example. :roll:

jeffbabcock

#17 Post by jeffbabcock »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
jeffbabcock wrote:la malta,
Sorry for slow reply,
I would not say the Eminence CD's are "unlistenable"... that's going way too far. Having heard most of the models (PSD's & NSD's but not ASD's) on a variety of projects and horns, I think they are OK, just not quite in the same league as some other higher quality products.
By the same token saying a Toyota isn't in the same class as a Mercedes isn't knocking Toyota. Though maybe Toyota isn't the best example. :roll:
:lol: Sure, agreed Bill. But the difference in cost is almost insignificant to move up to a better driver. For someone looking at an NSD2005 for example... you're going to spend close to $100 on this driver. For another 50 bucks you can find drivers that simply blow it away in performance.

Things add up and some people can't justify the added expense, or some people just don't care, but at the same time I see people spending cash on lots of other new stuff fresh from the marketing department that will have less beneficial results. People in general would have better sounding rigs if they were less concerned about the preamps in their mixers and more concerned about the speakers themselves.

Dave Non-Zero

#18 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

people in general would have better sounding rigs if they were less concerned about the preamps in their mixers and more concerned about the speakers themselves.
bingo. Hear hear!!!
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

DJPhatman

#19 Post by DJPhatman »

Although jeffbabcock's argument of sound quality over cost is valid, the entire crux of Bill's designs, and this forum, is high quality sound without the high-end equipment price, a/k/a week-end warrior sound. This site, and it's designs, were never intended for "pro" use. But for the quality of sound, they must be compared to "pro" sound. What I know is, I will always recommend to forum users/new builders to use the melded array. In the USA & Canada, this is a very inexpensive solution that provides great quality sound. If someone wants/must have a CD then that is included in the plans. Going outside the plans is at your own risk, as far as I'm concerned.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice