Any Tips on Long-Distance Craigslist Buying (Albany, OR)?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
kdchandler

Re: Any Tips on Long-Distance Craigslist Buying (Albany, OR)

#16 Post by kdchandler »

I live 20 min from Albany and would have helped you out. Unfortunately, I was out of town until tonight. You're better off, though. I play French Horn and know little about Bass. I would have asked for a better deal because of the sloppy workmanship on the fretboard. :oops: Hope your other opportunity works out.
4 DR200, 6 TLAH (semi-pro)
4 T39 (20" BP102), 2 TT ( 1 ea W8-740C, HL10A)
2 Wedgehorn 6, 1 Wedgehorn 10

David Carter

#17 Post by David Carter »

kdchandler wrote:I live 20 min from Albany and would have helped you out. Unfortunately, I was out of town until tonight.

Thanks for the offer. From what I gather from other posts on the Dingwall forum, there were at least two other people who contacted the seller before me, and they are presently having difficulty communicating with him, so it was probably for the best. On the other hand, I paid $100 less for the bass pictured in my previous post, and my dad has already met the seller and "taken custody" and will be shipping it to me today. So I'm very happy with the result.
kdchandler wrote:I would have asked for a better deal because of the sloppy workmanship on the fretboard. :oops:
:lol:

Thanks again!
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#18 Post by Harley »

David Carter wrote:
mpm32 wrote:Fanned frets huh. Been reading about those. Let us know how you like it when you get it.
I will. I've never played one before, but I've been wanting one for a couple of years now. The 37" scale B-string is said to be awesome. Can't wait to find out!
You'll be impressed with the tone and playability. These are awesome basses.

In the 1/2 hr I had to noodle around with one at Bass NorthWest, I was feeling very at home with it. :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Rick Lee

#19 Post by Rick Lee »

So what's with a fanned fretboard? Does it put your hand in a more comfortable playing position or make the string length a little closer match to the wavelength or?

Zack Brock

#20 Post by Zack Brock »

I too have had great success buying stuff long distance on craigslist, all of it bass and PA related. About five different things now. The sellers I contacted weren't at all concerned with dealing beyond locally. I even got a guy to ship me an Acme Low B-4 4x10 all the way from San Franscisco to Florida, and he billed it directly to my FedEx corprate account number. Came out to about $40. Of course, this was before I found out about Bill's speakers... back when I thought Acme's were good cabs :lol:

I think Craigslists deal is that they want the long distance shipped stuff to go on eBay and the local stuff to go on Craigslist. My theory anyway. Although Craigslist operated this way long before being bought by eBay or even expanding to more cities.
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

Gregory East

#21 Post by Gregory East »

Rick Lee wrote:So what's with a fanned fretboard? Does it put your hand in a more comfortable playing position or make the string length a little closer match to the wavelength or?
It gives the fatter strings more tension so your B snaps out a bottom B more like your G string snaps out G. Not that I've played one, but that's the theory.

David Carter

#22 Post by David Carter »

Gregory East wrote:
Rick Lee wrote:So what's with a fanned fretboard? Does it put your hand in a more comfortable playing position or make the string length a little closer match to the wavelength or?
It gives the fatter strings more tension so your B snaps out a bottom B more like your G string snaps out G. Not that I've played one, but that's the theory.
The fanned fret system used on Dingwall basses is licensed from Novax Guitars. Here is a page on the Novax site about the whole concept.
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Rick Lee

#23 Post by Rick Lee »

Very nice info! Now if a guitarist is bugging me I can complain about his "clang tone"!