Driverack PX Limiter

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Landl.livesound

Re: Driverack PX Limiter

#16 Post by Landl.livesound »

jcmbowman wrote:
And Phil - while it's nice in a philosophical debate to agree to disagree, the primary purpose of this forum is not for philosophical debates. It's a product support forum for Bill's speaker designs. When Bill himself has repeatedly suggested that best practices with his speaker designs involve measuring the voltage to set a limiter properly, and basing the voltage calculation on a value well below the stated RMS rating of the drivers, it smacks of disrespect to continue to argue the counterpoint to that. Just sayin'

:D
No need to get philosophical!

Don't worry, there is a pretty good reason why Bill does recommend brick-wall limiters much below the continuous rating of the drivers. ;-)

Take Care!
Phil

shawnondrums

#17 Post by shawnondrums »

Hey guys didn't mean to get you going. This is my first time running Horn subs. I never run my rig to that extreme, I alway bring more then I need so my gear runs cooler and safer. if I ever need the headroom I have plenty to spare. I just want some protection if something bad ever happens and it tries to go beyond its limits. Keep in mind I don't have a sound man either. I set it and run it. I don't have a lot of money to be replacing drivers or keeping spares on hand. I work hard for what I have and treat my gear with total respect so it will always take care of me. I have been running PA's for about 9 years now for my band. and never blown a speaker yet :fingers: had some problems with amps though. I trigger my kick drum so the signal is pretty steady. this morning I hooked up my system in the basement with the MDX2600 Behringer as a brick wall limiter after the sub out on the Driverack PX. I turned off the limiter for the subs in the Driverack and turned on the MDX2600 Behringer limiter and peak limiter. plugged in my fluke meter to the amp outs and ran a 60 hz sine. then set the limiter to stop at 60 v. it will not go past 60 v now. not even for a second. Believe me I checked. I then plugged in the subs and ran my electronic kick drum that I trigger and it sounds great. no loss of sound quality. It does't loose any punch at all. I kicked it up to about 50 v. extremely loud. I will never run it that loud and if I need more I will build 2 more T48. I plan to anyways for some of the bigger places we play. I don't plan on ever hitting the peak on the limiter not even bumping it. it's just there for protection. I have 2 PLX 3602 and plan on running 2 per channel so I have another amp just sitting there so I can always build more cabs. now that my nieghbor is done bitching at me, I'm gonna have breakfast. it's the most important meal of the day you know. Thank all of you for your help and great advice. I hope no one is mad at anyone over this. We are all friends here.

Landl.livesound

#18 Post by Landl.livesound »

shawnondrums wrote:Hey guys didn't mean to get you going. This is my first time running Horn subs. I never run my rig to that extreme, I alway bring more then I need so my gear runs cooler and safer. if I ever need the headroom I have plenty to spare. I just want some protection if something bad ever happens and it tries to go beyond its limits. Keep in mind I don't have a sound man either. I set it and run it. I don't have a lot of money to be replacing drivers or keeping spares on hand. I work hard for what I have and treat my gear with total respect so it will always take care of me. I have been running PA's for about 9 years now for my band. and never blown a speaker yet :fingers: had some problems with amps though. I trigger my kick drum so the signal is pretty steady. this morning I hooked up my system in the basement with the MDX2600 Behringer as a brick wall limiter after the sub out on the Driverack PX. I turned off the limiter for the subs in the Driverack and turned on the MDX2600 Behringer limiter and peak limiter. plugged in my fluke meter to the amp outs and ran a 60 hz sine. then set the limiter to stop at 60 v. it will not go past 60 v now. not even for a second. Believe me I checked. I then plugged in the subs and ran my electronic kick drum that I trigger and it sounds great. no loss of sound quality. It does't loose any punch at all. I kicked it up to about 50 v. extremely loud. I will never run it that loud and if I need more I will build 2 more T48. I plan to anyways for some of the bigger places we play. I don't plan on ever hitting the peak on the limiter not even bumping it. it's just there for protection. I have 2 PLX 3602 and plan on running 2 per channel so I have another amp just sitting there so I can always build more cabs. now that my nieghbor is done bitching at me, I'm gonna have breakfast. it's the most important meal of the day you know. Thank all of you for your help and great advice. I hope no one is mad at anyone over this. We are all friends here.
No worries Shawn, just good healthy discussion here and why I don't like cheaper peak limiters in DSP's and would rather they add another PEQ filter instead! (Unless they start putting a limiter that is actually able to be tuned to protect drivers from the average power that damages the VC and not the peak power that doesn't.)

Take Care!
Phil