eq break down

Anything not covered elsewhere.
David Carter

Re: eq break down

#16 Post by David Carter »

I posted a link to some images of the innards of my DCX over in my "DCX Woes" thread.
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Scott Brochu

#17 Post by Scott Brochu »

I see that David, thank you. I got them right here infront of me and thinking I might take them apart to see if it might be an easy fix.
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

bgavin

#18 Post by bgavin »

After reading your post, I see there is a very active after-marketing for hotrodding the DCX machine.
Why somebody is willing to spend up to $1400 modding this box escapes me, but it appears to have a very loyal following.

Evidently all the analog circuity in the DCX is marginal.
The power supply gets replaced, along with the clock. Evidently the new clock is a real jitter cure.

The output stages are gutted entirely and all the glue between the digital converters and output jack are replaced with a high quality (read: expensive) transformer. All this modding turns the DCX into a jitter free, and hiss free box.

Evidently they user a bunch of el-cheapo OpAmps in the output circuitry. These all get replaced.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

AntonZ

#19 Post by AntonZ »

I've seen that too. I think it's a bit beyond what David is trying to achieve, which is running the box reliably with default properties. There is a replacement power supply board and tranny available online, though it still is quite some soldering, and we're not sure if the problem actually stems from the power supply.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#20 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

bgavin wrote:After reading your post, I see there is a very active after-marketing for hotrodding the DCX machine.
Why somebody is willing to spend up to $1400 modding this box escapes me, but it appears to have a very loyal following.

Evidently all the analog circuity in the DCX is marginal.
The power supply gets replaced, along with the clock. Evidently the new clock is a real jitter cure.

The output stages are gutted entirely and all the glue between the digital converters and output jack are replaced with a high quality (read: expensive) transformer. All this modding turns the DCX into a jitter free, and hiss free box.

Evidently they user a bunch of el-cheapo OpAmps in the output circuitry. These all get replaced.
That's the Behringer way, the circuit design is fine but they cull their parts from the bottom of the barrel. The DSP chips are fine because there is no bottom of the barrel source for those, but I'm sure they use 4551 op-amps or the equivalent throughout because they get them for a dime, instead of paying a buck for a decent chip.