Any options for my Klipsch sub 12

Anything not covered elsewhere.
jason str

Any options for my Klipsch sub 12

#1 Post by jason str »

I have a perfectly good Klipsch sub 12 subwoofer i would like to experiment with and thought something horn loaded may work well with the rest of my system.

The subwoofer works well but it does not play nice where i need it, My Klipsch Chorus 2's play nice with the sub 12 because the fifteens dig pretty deep but when mated with my LaScala's it turns to mud and leaves me to look for options.

I see you need some specs for the woofer, i will work on this and return. :fingers:

jason str

Re: Any options for my Klipsch sub 12

#2 Post by jason str »

Looks like Klipsch will not release any information about this product at least as long as it is in production.

So maybe i will sell this subwoofer and use the cash to build something more suitable for my needs.

Any recommendations that will not break the bank that will incorporate well in my system ? Is there any guesstimate price list information of different models ?

bossman

#3 Post by bossman »

If you could describe the room you are planning on using them in and also what type of program material it will be used for, it would help out a great deal with recommendations. For home use most people here use Tuba 18 (T18), Auto Tuba (AT), Table Tuba (TT) or Tuba Home Theater (THT). You can check the main page for descriptions of all of these. Cost to build is not too expensive. The recommended plywood used is about $25 a sheet, and the PL glue is about $5 a tube. And then the speaker of course. Different models use different speakers; you can check the price of them at parts express.
2x HL10c Table Tubas
9/12 TLAHs

jason str

#4 Post by jason str »

My corner space availability is 36"x36" so i will have no room for two, here is a picture of current space, the current sub is to the left of the speakers under the fan.

If i can keep the cost under $250 - 300 bucks it will insure the sub 12 will pay for the build.

SeisTres

#5 Post by SeisTres »

jason str wrote:My corner space availability is 36"x36" so i will have no room for two, here is a picture of current space, the current sub is to the left of the speakers under the fan.

If i can keep the cost under $250 - 300 bucks it will insure the sub 12 will pay for the build.

sell the sub, build a table tuba (tht if you're really into movies), build some SLA and you'll probably still have enough to buy the 2.1 amp from parts express.

part number 300-772

PS, i used the 3x5 woofers from them and the onkyo tweeters.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

jason str

#6 Post by jason str »

No movies just music on this system.

The Tuba 24 or the Auto Tuba could fit in the corner with some room for adjustment.

The table tuba would just fit but looks too big for the 11 x 16 room.

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

Table Tuba for sure. 30"X30"X18-24" wide

See this post for other driver options.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

SeisTres

#8 Post by SeisTres »

jason str wrote:No movies just music on this system.

The Tuba 24 or the Auto Tuba could fit in the corner with some room for adjustment.

In that case do table tuba if you happen to listen with low exntesion (rap, dub, and sometimes some dnb), if not, the t18 works nicely. It does start to drop around 45hz, though, but just for music, I actually preferred it over my t39 with a clean signal. After EQ, it was pretty much a draw. HOWEVER, I'm going to start my table tuba since sometimes I do listen to some music where I need extension to 30hz and movies would benefit, as well. And I haven't finished my autotuba, but some people have succesfully used at home; it does rise pretty sharply at 100hz so I don't know if that will have to be EQ'ed out.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jason str wrote:No movies just music on this system.

-1. Power requirements, and therefore speaker size requirements, roughly double for each additional octave of bass extension. So if you want a sub to keep up with a LaScala it will have to be at least twice as large as a LaScala. Frankly in a room of that size I can't see LaScalas to begin with, but in any event the smallest sub to mate with them is a doublewide Table Tuba.

Radian

#10 Post by Radian »

Here's the 1/2 space response graph for a La Scala. The cab is rated at 100 rms/ 400 max. K33E woofer, K77M Tweeter, K55M / K401 horns.

In-room response below 90 Hz is, of course, highly dependent upon placement and amplification / EQ technique.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

jason str

#11 Post by jason str »

Would the HT Tuba work along the wall facing up ? If so what speaker and amp combo would be a good start.

Audio is banned from the living room but the den and bedroom are packed, they still sound great in the smaller rooms.

The corner is my only choice to place a sub, no way could i fit two of anything but if the HT Tuba has enough output and wont mud up on me it would work.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

jason str wrote:Would the HT Tuba work along the wall facing up ? If so what speaker and amp combo would be a good start.

Audio is banned from the living room but the den and bedroom are packed, they still sound great in the smaller rooms.

The corner is my only choice to place a sub, no way could i fit two of anything but if the HT Tuba has enough output and wont mud up on me it would work.
THT will work. If you have one the notion that audio is banned from the living room is moot, it will be heard and felt there as much as in your room. Well designed and implemented subs don't muddy anything. Poorly designed and/or implemented subs do.

Radian

#13 Post by Radian »

This will be a really easy decision to make if you have a multimeter. Do you have one? If so, switch it to measure AC voltage, and place the leads across the terminals of one of the speakers. Crank them up to the loudest that you know you will ever listen to them at playing your one of your favorite, gnarliest songs. Then, take note of of what voltage the meter is reporting.

What I'm getting at is that with those two pieces of data, (the song, and the peak voltage going into your speakers), we can develop a fairly close approximation of your maximum listening level and bass requirements. From there, you can make the appropriate cab choice for your maximum needs.

Bill hit it right on the nail head. At war volume, these speakers can really dish-it-out (pro sound and cinema for example) and require plenty of sub to keep up (especially when you relieve the bottom end by crossing over). I believe however, that even at "spirited" domestic listening levels, a smaller cab may suit your needs just fine.

With the cab stuffed in a corner, facing the mouth of the horn up is acoustically no different than facing it forward. Just remember, ideally it should be firing "into" the corner where you wouldn't see the mouth of the horn at all.
8)
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

jason str

#14 Post by jason str »

No mud = sale :hyper:

Since i don't have MS word is pdf form is a good option for me, a check will be mailed for my order by weeks end. What do the jigs consist of ?

I do have my trusty snap-on multimeter buried somewhere in the garage, i will look around.

Normally no more than 5 or 10 watts is applied for normal listening but sometimes i get the urge to crank the knob and it can get very loud, more so than any bar, theater, club or concert that i have ever attended and the volume knob has never seen past 10:00 on these honkers (i don't want to go deaf either).

Like i said though this Klipsch sub hits hard and low 25-50 hz but muds up after 60hz or so right about where the lows really drop off on the LaScalas is where i need the match.

Thanks everyone for the answers, my sub will sell quick and hopefully be in musical nirvana soon.

jason str

#15 Post by jason str »

Sold my Sub 12 this morning and waiting for my Tuba HT plans to show up.

I will start a new thread when my build is started.