A formula for speaker placement

Anything not covered elsewhere.
WiSounds

Re: A formula for speaker placement

#46 Post by WiSounds »

We would all have to chip in and rent an AC generator for the day, but imagine just for shits stacking all of our rigs together and making one of those ghetto ass videos of the piles of speakers from the European outdoor raves.

I volunteer to dance in front of the stack as long as I can pick the tune!
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

jcmbowman

#47 Post by jcmbowman »

WiSounds wrote:We would all have to chip in and rent an AC generator for the day, but imagine just for shits stacking all of our rigs together and making one of those ghetto ass videos of the piles of speakers from the European outdoor raves.

I was imagining a 6- or 7-way system. Screw phase coherency - we'd run the THTs from 2-45, the T36s from 45-85, the DRWiKs from 85-200, etc, etc.... Imagine the noise we could make. :twisted:
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

WiSounds

#48 Post by WiSounds »

jcmbowman wrote:
WiSounds wrote:We would all have to chip in and rent an AC generator for the day, but imagine just for shits stacking all of our rigs together and making one of those ghetto ass videos of the piles of speakers from the European outdoor raves.

I was imagining a 6- or 7-way system. Screw phase coherency - we'd run the THTs from 2-45, the T36s from 45-85, the DRWiKs from 85-200, etc, etc.... Imagine the noise we could make. :twisted:

This officially has to happen
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

SeisTres

#49 Post by SeisTres »

I just might have to visit my cousin up in Michigan :hyper:

This would be pretty cool. I could even ask the band to let me borrow the the pair of Peavy PV118's so we can have something to compare everything to... :)

:slap:
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

James R

#50 Post by James R »

I want video of you dancing :fruit:
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

Landl.livesound

#51 Post by Landl.livesound »

SeisTres wrote:I just might have to visit my cousin up in Michigan :hyper:

This would be pretty cool. I could even ask the band to let me borrow the the pair of Peavy PV118's so we can have something to compare everything to... :)
Ya, that would be fun. And we could decide how serious we would want to get with organization of measurements and such. I could bring at least Growlers, SRX718's, and U15's if it was wanted, again for comparison sake. I could bring a basic Smaart rig, I would like another measurement mic besides my beat up Behringer one. I have had very good luck measuring subs on ground plane.

It could be really cool to like measure someone's subs that has a "V-plate" as a single, as a pair, as a pair V'ed, and as a pair V'ed with the plate. To get some more real world data on what exaclty changes, and how much changes.

If we just have an open field or open lot we could get some pretty accurate sub measurements all things considered.

Take Care!

WiSounds

#52 Post by WiSounds »

If we could find a field big enough and split a generator we'd win.
facebook.com/wisounds

Landl.livesound

#53 Post by Landl.livesound »

WiSounds wrote:If we could find a field big enough and split a generator we'd win.
Ya for taking measurements and basic mid level listening (Under 100dBA) we wouldn't need a crazy amount of power, but would obviously we wouldn't want to generator to have any effect on the measurements.

In a decent field where I live, when I usually take measurements I just run a thick AC run for mains power. If we can even get stiff AC source and use a 100ft 8/3 or so for power, we should be good enough to not get much voltage sag even if I bring a PL380 that we could use for high power since it is very efficient. (Obviously for the BFM cabs, they don't need gobs of power, but it could be educational to see how what they do with a good amount of power. Though I'm not proposing we try and see where the limits of some people subs are, I wouldn't say no if someone said to turn it up!)

When we get 100ft away from major boundaries and if we are measuring subs at 10ft or less away we shouldn't see any kind of major difference if the building 100ft away wasn't there.

Take Care!

DJPhatman

#54 Post by DJPhatman »

I have a 50', 10 gauge 110 power cord. I may have access to a 10K genny. Anyone near-by know how to wire 10/3 for 220????? :twisted:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jcmbowman

#55 Post by jcmbowman »

DJPhatman wrote:I have a 50', 10 gauge 110 power cord. I may have access to a 10K genny. Anyone near-by know how to wire 10/3 for 220????? :twisted:
What amp do you have that requires 220?

Or should I bring the Distro and tie that into a genny? Or just tie it into whatever building we have nearby and skip the noisy gennies entirely?
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

Landl.livesound

#56 Post by Landl.livesound »

jcmbowman wrote:
DJPhatman wrote:I have a 50', 10 gauge 110 power cord. I may have access to a 10K genny. Anyone near-by know how to wire 10/3 for 220????? :twisted:
What amp do you have that requires 220?

Or should I bring the Distro and tie that into a genny? Or just tie it into whatever building we have nearby and skip the noisy gennies entirely?
There we go, I was gonna ask if anyone up there has a distro. Cause we just make sure we have a heavy duty mains feeder for it. And 100ft away should be enough. Especially only measuring at lower levels.

That's were my vote goes, skip the genny and use a heavy duty feeder for someone's distro. Just gotta find a nearby tie-in for it where ever we ouwld choose.

Take Care!