what is a good amp that wont break the bank

Is this amp OK?
Radian

Re: what is a good amp that wont break the bank

#16 Post by Radian »

bossman wrote:I find that US made products exhibit a greater level of QC than Chinese made equivalents.
Six Sigma business models have rapidly reduced the margin of quality between internationally traded products and continue to do so every year at a geometric rate. Given the same materials, tolerances and manufacturing processes, a widget hewn by a machine in China, Mexico, or the USA is going to turn out the same. The only difference is the cost to produce. This, of cousre, is not necessarily to the benefit of the individual economies involved in the trade.
bossman wrote:The Chinese made products are 'disposable', whereas the US made ones were often repaired instead of tossed in the trash and replaced with new
Knowledge is money. That's why we're all in this forum. Learning about basic electronics can net you substantial savings. Of course we have to know what products we're talking about specifically, but almost anything can be fixed if you know how it works and was initially put together (industrial / process engineering). I've saved enough over the last few years in electrical and other rework to have easily paid for a digital soldering and rework station. The money saved adds up faster than you might think:
- Tune up for the GF's car +$200
- Repairing a blown head gasket on the BMW +$2000
- Restoring the the battery for the nephew's "power-wheels" +$75
- Soldering a frayed wire in the GF's electric razor +$25
- Trouble shooting a faulty LED transmitter in the remote control +$20
- Trouble shooting and replacing the key pad flex cable for the cell-phone +$125
- Replacing a crapped-out hard drive in the GF's computer +$100
- Not buying a JBL SRX system because I can build something my self better for 1/3 of the price +$2000
- Re-capping a blown out Behringer DEQ power supply +$150
- Knowing that the DEQ cheap power supply caps eventually dry out over time +$300
The list goes on..Everything's repairable (cheap china toy to the family automobile) , it just depends how valuable it is too you. I think Bill has referred to this as "Sweat Equity"
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

bossman

#17 Post by bossman »

Radian wrote: Knowledge is money. That's why we're all in this forum. Learning about basic electronics can net you substantial savings. Of course we have to know what products we're talking about specifically, but almost anything can be fixed if you know how it works and was initially put together (industrial / process engineering). I've saved enough over the last few years in electrical and other rework to have easily paid for a digital soldering and rework station. The money saved adds up faster than you might think:
- Tune up for the GF's car +$200
- Repairing a blown head gasket on the BMW +$2000
- Restoring the the battery for the nephew's "power-wheels" +$75
- Soldering a frayed wire in the GF's electric razor +$25
- Trouble shooting a faulty LED transmitter in the remote control +$20
- Trouble shooting and replacing the key pad flex cable for the cell-phone +$125
- Replacing a crapped-out hard drive in the GF's computer +$100
- Not buying a JBL SRX system because I can build something my self better for 1/3 of the price +$2000
- Re-capping a blown out Behringer DEQ power supply +$150
- Knowing that the DEQ cheap power supply caps eventually dry out over time +$300
The list goes on..Everything's repairable (cheap china toy to the family automobile) , it just depends how valuable it is too you. I think Bill has referred to this as "Sweat Equity"
I'm with you on the DIY repairs. I have saved thousands as well by fixing things that others may have thrown out. The thing I would be concerned about is obtaining replacement parts. Can the parts be sourced easily, etc. Sometimes that is the determining factor to whether or not something can or can not be repaired. Thanks for comments! Interesting topic.
2x HL10c Table Tubas
9/12 TLAHs

bzb

#18 Post by bzb »

Back in the 80's, "Made in Taiwan" was a terrible label. They put in labor laws and organized unions, and started making some of the best computer/memory chips. Now it's expensive to manufacture in Taiwan.

So companies moved to cheaper pastures - China, India, Vietnam, Mexico, etc. Places where labor is cheap and plentiful and labor laws shoddy or non-existent.

Like Radian said, these companies aren't moving their production to China in order to create a sub-standard product. Their brands and reputations are valuable, almost irreplaceable assets. Think about Bose and Sony - they're not top-of-the-line products, but the general public perceives them as such and they add a premium to their products. If they start turning out a bunch of products that blow up, they're not going to be able to market themselves and lower their profit margin.

Would you be happy if your amp says "Made in Japan" or South Korea? They have a pretty good service record on cars and motorcycles ;)
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10