MACKIE FRS AMP?

Is this amp OK?
DanielNY

MACKIE FRS AMP?

#1 Post by DanielNY »

Anyone have any experience with the new Mackie FRS series amps? In comparison to Crown XTI's? I know the XTI's have a lot of extra features but I put raw performance before bells and whistles anyway.

I am thinking of demoing a pair of Titan 48's 20" with an FRS 2800. 500@ 8ohm and 850@ 4ohm stereo. Is this enough to also run 2 Titan 48's per channel efficiently? I've never used the Crowns either but I see a lot of rave about them.
Built: T-60's, T48's, T-39's, DR250's, DR200's, Pro SLA's

djhornloaded

Re: MACKIE FRS AMP?

#2 Post by djhornloaded »

Spend the extra cash for the Crowns believe me I used the Micro/Macro for 8 years I did mobile in NYC it's the best in my book when it comes to after sales service or warranty issues and dont get me wrong if you know what you are doing they can last a lifetime. I've never had any problems, period.
just my $.02! :clap:
"Bass how low can you GO!"

DanielNY

#3 Post by DanielNY »

I know exactly what you mean. I personally have a few Crown Micro-tech amps and your right, they are the best. However, the weight of these things is getting to me. The XTI's and Mackies are about 20-25 lbs each, a sacrafice I dont feel too guilty about. lol
Built: T-60's, T48's, T-39's, DR250's, DR200's, Pro SLA's

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

DanielNY wrote:The XTI's and Mackies are about 20-25 lbs each, a sacrafice I dont feel too guilty about. lol
The XTi's weigh 17.5 pounds each. I own 2 and they are awesome!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

gdougherty

#5 Post by gdougherty »

I'd go Crown or QSC long before I'd pickup a Mackie amp. I've seen a few 1400i's die over the years, and not running 2ohm loads or high volumes.