In the market for new Amps preferrably Crown.

Is this amp OK?
djhornloaded

In the market for new Amps preferrably Crown.

#1 Post by djhornloaded »

Hi, I am planning on getting some new amps preferrably Crown Macrotech 2402 and 3600VZ and also considering the cheaper XLS series (product rebate). I have used the Macro as well as the Micro that is why I am leaning towards Crown products for their sound quality and toughness (nice resale $$$). Not interested in XTi's because I want to use the new Ashley Protea 4in 8out processor. I was thinking of using XLS802's and 5000's also for pricepoint but have not gotten any comments about this XLS series. I also have an average of 3-4 times a month of usage on my new rig I am building. Isn't Crown discontinuing this Macro series and also any input on the HD series more expensive though. I just need an overall feel for anyones input thanks. :fingers: Not interested in QSC either.
"Bass how low can you GO!"

bzb

Re: In the market for new Amps preferrably Crown.

#2 Post by bzb »

Although the Macrotechs are still going strong in resale, the Microtechs haven't. I've been trying to get rid of mine for a good 6 months. Ebay is a last resort just because I don't want to ship this monster.

If you're completely disinterested in weight reduction, then check out the XLS. Some of the guys here are sold on the new XTis, just because of their price/performance - not only the onboard DSP, but you get a lot of watts for the bucks.

If price is no factor, Face Audio is getting rave reviews with the large system guys who do concert halls, theatres, etc. Specifically, the Titanium Xtra series.

http://www.faceaudio.com/product_list_2.html
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

WiSounds

#3 Post by WiSounds »

djhornloaded wrote:Not interested in XTi's because I want to use the new Ashley Protea 4in 8out processor.
Which processor? The NE4800, 4.8SP, or the 4.24c?

Don't count out Ashly's amps...

The new PE series, and NE 2 channel amps are very very nice.

The FTX-2001s I use are solid too they just weigh more, but at 200-300 a pop used, its alot of amp for the money. Also I kind of prefer the analog sound of the bass these old school class a/b amps provide.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

SeisTres

#4 Post by SeisTres »

I have the xls 802d and 402d. After the rebates they came out to like 225 and 360. They seem to be fine, but that is since I still havent pushed them to their limits with my six t39's. And yes they are heavy but they do what they're supposed to do. Also, no bells and whistles here, just one xlr input for each channel and a "brige" switch, you can't even "mono" it. But like I said, they've been working just fine.

On another note, I started out with a Behringer ep2500. now THAT amp we(the band) pushed. And it wanst even in a rack, we would carry it with all the cables in a big rolling cloth bag. For almost a year and a half of abuse(I learned what NOT to do using this amp), it's still going and it never hiccuped once. I also did A/B testing with the QSC(the one they copied) and could not tell the difference on either tops or subs.

PS. I almost forgot, they day it arrived, there was a screw that kind of loose and would make a noise when the amp shaken, but apparently it was not crucial for its performance.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

djhornloaded

#5 Post by djhornloaded »

I am contemplating on the Ashley Protea 4.8SP but could also get a nice used XTA I am dreaming, but Ashly for sure! :noob:
"Bass how low can you GO!"