Ebay Crown XTi 1000 B Stock

Is this amp OK?
jakejoseph

Ebay Crown XTi 1000 B Stock

#1 Post by jakejoseph »

Has anyone purchased any of the B-Stock XTi's on ebay? I can buy them all day long for $350 on ebay. The sellers claim full 3 year warranty. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Mikey

Re: Ebay Crown XTi 1000 B Stock

#2 Post by Mikey »

That's REAL cheap. I'd be inclined to check directly with Crown regarding the validity of the seller's statement about the warranty. Also, "B stock" can mean almost anything, including used, returns, rentals, dropped off of a truck, etc, so Caveat Emptor. Ebay is crawling with dishonest sellers, so it's always best to do your homework before jumping on a "deal". Bear in mind that a seller's feedback rating is based on their customers' satisfaction upon receipt, but doesn't reflect problems they may have had a few months down the road.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

jakejoseph

#3 Post by jakejoseph »

That's what I thought. However, I have a bunch of B-Stock stuff that I bought over the years (open box, etc.) that has served me well.

Do these amps have a high failure rate? Are B stocks sometimes Refurbs? The only way to get that many refurbs is to have a metric crapload of failures. (Ask microsoft about the X-box)

The crown website is down, I wanted to check there first. There's way more than one seller on these though....It seems to be the going price.

Ron K

#4 Post by Ron K »

There were a bunch of XTIs in the early production runs that had problems with the ribbon cables attached to the DSP LCD Readout. They retrofitted those units through warranty and "B" stock for some dealers that I am aware of."B" Stock can mean a lot of things however so the best solution is to run the serial number.

Obtain the Serial number and call Crown and see if the warranty is still active.If the seller refuses to give you the serial of the unit for sale I would assume something is up.Crowns warranty service is top notch so I wouldn't anticipate any problems on that side of things in the event of a failure.
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

Gauss

#5 Post by Gauss »

I checked Northernsound.net today and was quoted a similar price for a new product, not b-stock.
8)
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39

RayAbbitt

#6 Post by RayAbbitt »

If it is from an actual Crown dealer quoting as B stock or opened box is one of the ways of getting around MAP. As somebody else said, they were quoted a price by a dealer, but that dealer can't actually advertise that price for a new unit.

djohnson573

#7 Post by djohnson573 »

I have bought many items from one of the sellers (Unique Squared Inc.) and have alway had a positive experience. They currently have an open box Xti2000 for $479 with free shipping. They are in Atlanta and I can typically buy an item in the morning and receive it the next day.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 4 x Titan 39 (14"W) BP102 loaded
- 2 x TLAH
- 4 x OT12 Deltalite 2512 loaded
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

Tom

#8 Post by Tom »

A considerable fraction of the B-stock XTis were from these two sources:

1) Persons who were unable to execute simple instructions to upgrade firmware in this highly computerized piece of modern electronics. Dealer returns under warranty and so forth.
2) Internal modifications to prevent the ribbon cable from vibrating loose over time.

XTis have worked well for me - even the early ones that have been updated per 1) and 2).
Build Log

-- Done, in use --
4 - Dr250/2510/Piezo
2 - OmniTop 12
2 - T48/3015LF (22 inches wide)
2 - T48/3015LF (25 inches wide)
4 - Melded array w8
? - Omni 10

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

If you don't want to take the risk of an ebay seller you are not familiar with, these amps also regularly pop up on smaller dedicated forums. I recently bought an XTi 1000 through a small brittish bass forum. Excellent price, almost as new amp, from a seller that I do not know personally but I find in the small world of a dedicated forum the regulars can be trusted (as opposed to e.g. members with a single digit post history).

+1 for what Ron said on issues with the early runs, shouldn't be a problem for newer models.

mattaudio

#10 Post by mattaudio »

I'm thinking about picking up two Crown XTi 1000s...

What would it be like running one tuba 24 on each channel? Two?
What about running two DR200s on each channel?

I'm thinking my eventual setup will be (2) Crown Xti 1000s, (4) Tuba 24s, and (4) DR200s.

mattaudio

#11 Post by mattaudio »

So has anyone purchased an XTi off eBay? $299 / free shipping seems too good to be true, even for B-stock, but the seller rating is quite high. I should check to see that the warranty is still good.

crockettnj

#12 Post by crockettnj »

There is an xti1000 in my local craigslist for 250, and we are in "early negotiations" to get it down to 200.

This seems like a great price, but if there were issues with the early ones, perhaps not so great afterall. I am going to check on the serial number and call crown.

Bigger issue, is this enough amp to run a 1x12 top cab on each side and a couple of t39 subs, should I be looking to run 2 separate amps for this, would I be much better off coughing up my dwindling cash supply on a larger amp?

DJPhatman

#13 Post by DJPhatman »

crockettnj wrote:There is an xti1000 in my local craigslist for 250, and we are in "early negotiations" to get it down to 200.

This seems like a great price, but if there were issues with the early ones, perhaps not so great afterall. I am going to check on the serial number and call crown.

Bigger issue, is this enough amp to run a 1x12 top cab on each side and a couple of t39 subs, should I be looking to run 2 separate amps for this, would I be much better off coughing up my dwindling cash supply on a larger amp?
An XTi1000 is perfect for a pair of OT12s on one side and a pair of T39s on the other.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

crockettnj

#14 Post by crockettnj »

thank you.

The xti I saw on CL sold for $250. There are other fish in the sea.

mattaudio

#15 Post by mattaudio »

I've purchased 2 XTi 1000's on EBAY for $309/free ship

from seller 'proaudiostar'

They work great!