Carvin DCM series

Is this amp OK?
Meddle771

Carvin DCM series

#1 Post by Meddle771 »

Anyone have any experience with these? The 1500 looks like a perfect match for me, and the THD and signal to noise ratings look pretty good.

Mikey

Re: Carvin DCM series

#2 Post by Mikey »

For your 2 T39s and 2 OT12s, a Crown XTi 1000 would be an excellent choice, since it has the active crossover, etc, built-in.

The DCM1500 appears to be out of stock, and has no expected due date on it. They don't even have it on their amp page, so there's a good chance it's been discontinued. Besides ... it's a Carvin.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

Meddle771 wrote:Anyone have any experience with these? The 1500 looks like a perfect match for me, and the THD and signal to noise ratings look pretty good.
Carvin's quality has been taking a major nose-dive over the last few years. If you are only running 2 subs and 2 mid-high tops per side, then the Crown XTi1000 is perfect for you. You can run it with just a mixer and the amp, as Mikey stated it has everything else you need. Set it up once with a computer, or take a laptop with you for easy on-the-spot control.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

bgavin

#4 Post by bgavin »

THD is meaningless with all but the cheapest of amps.
The HiFi guys have much tighter needs than does Pro Sound.

I can't understand buying anything different than main stream pro gear.
QSC, Crown, Crest.. probably some others.
The few dollars saved buying amateur gear like Carvin is completely forgotten when the thing dies in the middle of a show.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

Ron K

#5 Post by Ron K »

Now now guys! :bash: :bash:

While I agree that's it probably a better move to buy something a tad more mainstream lots of guys use Carvin gear and it isn't all bad.`

Bruce is correct about THD. Dont mean much unless its off the charts bad in Pro sound.While signal to noise ratio is also important I would wager mucho dinero that most people aren't very skilled in proper gain matching between components rendering a great signal to noise ratio completely useless as well.

I think what they are trying to say in a not so nice way is you might be taking some unnecessary risks with your investment.

FWIW I installed some TCS subs in a Church (4 of them to be exact) double 12 loaded and they freekin crank! TCS is made by Carvin! Loaded with all B & C components!

"TCS Audio's parent company, Carvin Corporation, began in 1946 and has nearly 60 years of success in producing professional sound reinforcement equipment. Carvin is one of the oldest manufacturing companies of its kind in existence today and is laying the solid foundation for TCS Audio to stand apart from the competition. "

However I would tend to think that particular piece isn't a very good choice given the other alternatives that are cruising about in the marketplace!
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

Meddle771

#6 Post by Meddle771 »

Excuse the error, I meant the DCML series that just came out not too long ago.