Behringer NX4-6000 channel failure

Is this amp OK?
monekh

Behringer NX4-6000 channel failure

#1 Post by monekh »

Was running 2 OT12s off an NX4-6000 last weekend, with no time to set the limiters properly, so did not have the amp channels wide open. The channels were all set to less than 25%, which was plenty of volume for the space.

Towards the end of the event one of the channels (handling a mid driver) went into 'protect mode', and some people reported seeing and smelling smoke coming from the amp. The amps were still stone cold to the touch. All 3 other channels were fine, all drivers in both boxes still fine too. The DJ at the time may have been redlining the mixer (I couldn't see at the moment it happened), so my question is this - could a clipped signal going into the DSP (a DCX2496) put this kind of strain on an amp channel coming out of that DSP even when the amp is nowhere near clipping itself? Or is it more likely that the amp is faulty in some way?

Maybe a stupid question, but I've never run anything without limiters set and channels wide open before, and never used Behringer before, so wondering exactly what the issue was...

Bruce Weldy

Re: Behringer NX4-6000 channel failure

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

monekh wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:02 am Was running 2 OT12s off an NX4-6000 last weekend, with no time to set the limiters properly, so did not have the amp channels wide open. The channels were all set to less than 25%, which was plenty of volume for the space.

Towards the end of the event one of the channels (handling a mid driver) went into 'protect mode', and some people reported seeing and smelling smoke coming from the amp. The amps were still stone cold to the touch. All 3 other channels were fine, all drivers in both boxes still fine too. The DJ at the time may have been redlining the mixer (I couldn't see at the moment it happened), so my question is this - could a clipped signal going into the DSP (a DCX2496) put this kind of strain on an amp channel coming out of that DSP even when the amp is nowhere near clipping itself? Or is it more likely that the amp is faulty in some way?

Maybe a stupid question, but I've never run anything without limiters set and channels wide open before, and never used Behringer before, so wondering exactly what the issue was...
I've only had one amp ever go thermal on me, and that was because I had a bad cap in one of my crossovers - It had blown up. So, I'd pop 'em open and check the crossovers for any damage.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."