Amp for TLAH Pros and SLA Pros

Is this amp OK?
climbikejk

Amp for TLAH Pros and SLA Pros

#1 Post by climbikejk »

Wants:
- 5.1 amp (if the answer to the other wants is met by a 7.1, 9.1, etc, that's ok)
- optical (for movies) and RCA inputs. Other inputs are not as important.
- very flexible EQ options (meaning I want to be able to EQ a lot of frequencies and I want to choose which frequencies to EQ)
- more than enough power. I know this is a given for everyone, but I'm a little confused by what I've read/seen. I've seen videos of TLAH Pros being driven by 300-400Wrms, and yet I've read that ~150Wrms is more than sufficient. Maybe there's only a 3dB difference, but I can find good home theater receivers that claim they can put out 150Wrms...I can't say the same for +300Wrms. I'd like to have an "all in one" receiver (power for each speaker, eq for each speaker) instead of having to rack mount 4 amps and 1 EQ. Perhaps what I'm looking for doesn't exist? Ninety-percent of the time these speakers will be inside, but I do plan to use them for movies outside, hence the desire to ensure there's enough power for outside events.

What I've been looking at:
- Sony STR-DN1070
- Sony STR-DN1080 (both claim 165Wrms)
- Pioneer SCLX801
- Pioneer SCLX901 (both claim 140Wrms...but cost a heck of a lot more)

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you

Tom Smit

Re: Amp for TLAH Pros and SLA Pros

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

I'm confused. Why are you inquiring about inquiring about HT amps when you are using the Pro cabs? The HT versions would have been ample for a room in the house. Are you using these in a large venue?

I searched your posts and found this...
Drey Chennells wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 am
Tom Smit wrote:
climbikejk wrote:
My plan is to build 2 TLAH Pros as my front L/R channels, likely 1 SLAH Pro as my center, and I'm not sure about my rears...was thinking TLAH Pro's as well. Subs would be THTs, but I have all the info I need for the THTs.
Woah! How big is the room!?! Regular TLAH and SLA cabs will be plenty for most homes.
Definitely. From experience, unless you're in a 2x height and sized commercial space TLAH and SLA will normally be overkill with tons of headroom. Input voltage is not as relevant as with pro cabs because the application will not normally require more than the usual 50-100 watt receiver power.
TomS

climbikejk

#3 Post by climbikejk »

Hi Tom. Yes, that was an old post of mine. Let me try to clear up any confusion. I'm using Pro cabs because the TLAH Pro and SLA Pro (which I'm about to build) still fall under the HT section for BFM builds. I'm building my dream HT; therefore, some parts might come before others. In this case, the speakers are easier to build than a monster room...but if I don't start somewhere, I'll never get anywhere.

The TLAH & SLA Pros might be overkill for a small room, but for now, my HT room is probably a little bigger than the average room because it's my entire finished basement (some day I plan on having an even larger HT room) and I do plan to use these speakers for outside "movie nights" in the neighborhood. I figured if I built the Pro versions, I would have more flexibility for any environment, from the smallest to unlimited. The same desire holds for amps - I want something that will have enough power to play inside as well as outside. I'm not married to HT amps, I just thought they would be a good place to start, or a good "all in one", since I've heard the Pro cabs don't need more than ~100Wrms.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Okay, I see. It certainly will be capable for what your intents are.
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I see no need for more than the STR-DN1070 plus appropriate amps for the subs. IMO Atmos is Dolby jumping the shark.

climbikejk

#6 Post by climbikejk »

Hm...I thought I wrote a thank you response, but I guess it didn't go through.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. (Bill, I still have notes from years ago where you/someone else made good recommendations for the amps for THTs. Someday....someday....)