QSC GXD series limiters

Is this amp OK?
tvent

QSC GXD series limiters

#1 Post by tvent »

Does anyone know with certainty that the limiters in the DSP section of the QSC GXD amplifiers are suitable for use with Titan subs?
The settings seem a little too user friendly (Mild, Medium, Aggressive) and make me worry.

I currently use a driverack PA2 with some GX7's and am really happy with it's weight to performance ratio, but rack space and pack space are always at a premium and if I could ditch the driverack in favor of amps with DSP on them I could save a couple of spaces. Not to mention, on paper anyway, the GXD8 is a little more powerful than the GX7 and slightly lighter.

Any other experience with the GXD's DSP vs. the DriveRack and one's advantage over the other - please feel free to chime in.

I'm also thinking of buying the smallest PLD (4.2) to run monitors. 4 channels with DSP, routable inputs, bridgable outputs in 2 rack spaces seems ideal. It seems very flexible and could pull dual duty for smaller gigs with only 2 rack spaces running a couple of monitor feeds, and mains.

Please chime in.

Thanks,
Tim
Built:
4 x WH10 melded
4 x WH8 melded
2 x Jack15 melded
2 x Simplex 12 w/BGH-25 for Bass
1 x Simplex Tiltback (powered PPA800DSP) for Keys
2 x SLA Pro
Bought:
6 x T39 20" 3012LF loaded

Bruce Weldy

Re: QSC GXD series limiters

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Looking at the manual doesn't really answer you question on the limiters......it is not clear, just lists the options, but they are generic terms.

From the examples though, it looks like you can dial in a wattage rating at different impedance ratings. The only way to be sure would be to find better documentation or get ahold of one and test it with a volt meter.

Personally, if you already have a driverack - it's only one rack space and does everything plus some over the DSP in the amp - I'd just keep using it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."