Plate amp for portable PA

Is this amp OK?
y2kindyz

Plate amp for portable PA

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok I built a small amp rack for my wife's Zumba sound system. I made it out of 1/2" ply and loaded it with an iNuke 3000 dbx PA2 & behringer mixer. Probably overkill on the mixer, but in the future i plan to use it as a full PA.

Now my dilemma - it is too big & heavy for my wife to pick up and put out in the pool area. She puts it on top the J15 and uses a dolly to haul it in and out of the house for Zumba. She has requested something smaller and portable.

In Zumba I have found the SQ is not top on the priority list. So I am thinking of making a small box to house one of these. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--300-797

Music is usually played via phone, iPad, or computer.

Can this work ? I know there is only tone controls and no EQ

Is this worth trying?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Plate amp for portable PA

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

For what you're doing I'd say it's adequate, but you'll have to be sure that it can input the sources you want to use. Something like this would be better, and it has EQ:
https://www.parts-express.com/behringer ... --248-6824

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:For what you're doing I'd say it's adequate, but you'll have to be sure that it can input the sources you want to use. Something like this would be better, and it has EQ:
https://www.parts-express.com/behringer ... --248-6824

Thanks Bill,

That's a better more powerful option. Just put it in a small box with 2 speak-on connectors and send her on her way. Should be able to make under 15-20 pounds. Now I may have to build a J15 or J12 Lite then she would really be happy.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote: Just put it in a small box with 2 speak-on connectors and send her on her way. .
Doesn't look like you'd even have to put it in a box. Hard to tell, but it looks like the ears on the sides might be handles. Just build an extra set of cables with 1/4" on end and speakon on the other.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

y2kindyz

#5 Post by y2kindyz »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
y2kindyz wrote: Just put it in a small box with 2 speak-on connectors and send her on her way. .
Doesn't look like you'd even have to put it in a box. Hard to tell, but it looks like the ears on the sides might be handles. Just build an extra set of cables with 1/4" on end and speakon on the other.
That is true Bruce. But I would still like to protect it a bit. I am actually looking at an rack bag that can make it easier to shoulder or carry by hand. It will cost a bit more than building a box with a shoulder strap and handle, it will be a quicker fix. Plus bag can hold cable and stuff.

y2kindyz

#6 Post by y2kindyz »

So I am assuming that with the power in this powered mixer there is no need to limit for the J15's loaded with the 3015 and CD's. Correct?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's no need to limit for any top, as you'll hear major distortion well below where damage could occur. This assumes, of course, that no one has access to the gear who shouldn't.
I wouldn't necessarily go with that Behringer, I don't care for the 1/4" output jacks. I just mentioned it as an example of what's out there.

y2kindyz

#8 Post by y2kindyz »

Cool. I will look into it. Maybe I can install some speak-on connectors where the 1/4" plugs are. If there is enough room

ncgrove

#9 Post by ncgrove »

Velcro tape a 12V Lepai amp to the cab. No weight and no complexity. The iPhone will plug right into it and it will be plenty loud.