Low cost Class D pro plate amps.

Is this amp OK?
djamps

Re: Low cost Class D pro plate amps.

#61 Post by djamps »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
David Raehn wrote:They say it's rated for AES/EBU, DMX and balanced audio....
Yeah, but do you really want a power cable running right up next to your signal cable? One of the first things I remember learning in audio was to try and cross power and signal at right angles when possible and try to stay away from then running alongside. May be an old wive's tale.....but, it would make sense that there could be some issues with hum interference running analog audio.
Generally you will not have those issues with balanced (XLR) assuming the cables and gear are in good order. Last weekend I had over 150ft of extension cord physically touching the XLR entire way to some remote tops and there was no noticable noise or hum. I would never do that on a permanent install though.

Bruce Weldy

#62 Post by Bruce Weldy »

djamps wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
David Raehn wrote:They say it's rated for AES/EBU, DMX and balanced audio....
Yeah, but do you really want a power cable running right up next to your signal cable? One of the first things I remember learning in audio was to try and cross power and signal at right angles when possible and try to stay away from then running alongside. May be an old wive's tale.....but, it would make sense that there could be some issues with hum interference running analog audio.
Generally you will not have those issues with balanced (XLR) assuming the cables and gear are in good order. Last weekend I had over 150ft of extension cord physically touching the XLR entire way to some remote tops and there was no noticable noise or hum. I would never do that on a permanent install though.
I do the same thing with my snake and power out front.....but having them in the same jacket? hmmmm....just don't know about that.

Anyway, when do you ever have the power and the xlr end up at the same place? I see that working if daisy-chaining a bunch of lights, but doesn't really make sense for audio to have those two in one cable.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

David Raehn

#63 Post by David Raehn »

This was just my tongue-in-cheek answer for powered mains or subs....
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bruce Weldy

#64 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:This was just my tongue-in-cheek answer for powered mains or subs....
I get it... :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

David Raehn

#65 Post by David Raehn »

BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bruce Weldy

#66 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:It gets better:

http://www.procosound.com/proco-power/siamese-twins
The powercon/xlr combo at least makes sense for line arrays where you jumper from one cab to the next.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

JakeGrover

#67 Post by JakeGrover »

There are some active systems that are faster to set up than passive ones. K-Arrays for instance. They are not cheap.

I really like active speakers for small venue speech lift. 1 K8, a microphone, stand and cables make for a quick strike, and can do a decent sized room.

I made a bunch of 25' power + XLR looms for the monitors that our school uses for Spring fling. Last show, I ran out two quad boxes and "reserved" them for monitors... That did not stop a DJ from plugging in their computer and creating a nasty ground loop that took a while to sort out. That's one issue that would have been solved by passives.

EDIT:
I have some of those ProCo Siamese Twins. They are actually supposed to be used with digital signals that use XLR (AES/EBU), but I've never had an issue using short ones with line level audio. 10' ones make dressing a sub+top very easy.
Signature