Thomann 4 channel t.amp TSA 4-700

Is this amp OK?
Charles Jenkinson

Thomann 4 channel t.amp TSA 4-700

#1 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I think it may be new amp time. I bought a second hand matrix uk power 1300 a few years back and it needed fixing with capacitors. Then on my annual outside gig last year I only measured about 28volts and it was 'clipping' - it was on tops duty so it was just about coping - that amp should be good for over 50v with an 8 ohm load! Should I look into getting it fixed? What is the likely problem and cost of parts? Or is it just new amp time and use it for monitors? ...I've been looking at this: https://m.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_47 ... 1495989804

and wonder if it's the right sort of spec for expandability. The one thing I do like is that if I doubled up subs on one channel and got a 4 ohm load, there's still enough power for a notional 50volts and it's not running at the max. The other side of the issue is too much power - on FOH at least it goes through the PA+ but on monitors...?
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Charles Jenkinson

Re: Thomann 4 channel t.amp TSA 4-700

#2 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I've had a check in my mind about the TSA 4-700 after reading reviews. They say it can be noisy if the inputs are set wide open. I know there's different schools of thought on that - settings the amp inputs to the max - but I don't want to be overly compromising by taking an easy catch-all solution, so I've thought maybe about a different amp - the QSC GX5 - as maybe a 'reference' amp for me, but one that will handle a pair of 300w subs on one channel - it's more of a standard topology than a switch mode job. There's still plenty of other 4 channel amps that would do for monitoring in future that don't need to be as high power per channel (or as 'clean') as FOH requires.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this before I spend new amp money. ...I don't think I've enjoyed having my ass bitten with second hand amps.
2xT30

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

Charles, very few of us can truthfully comment on Thomann offerings, as we don't live in the EU. However, Thomann has a pretty good reputation for standing by what they sell. As for using all 4 channels, I would think 1 for mono tops, 1 for subs and 2 for monitors would be perfect.

As far as noise is concerned, just remember one thing: this is NOT Hi-Fi! It's simply a matter of what you will tolerate. TBH, once the music is running, nobody will give a shit....
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Charles Jenkinson

#4 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Thanks DJ.

I was talking to a friend last night and he said that subs and tops are best not run on the same amp due to crosstalk, mainly from sub signal harmonics interfering with tops signal in the amp. Is this specific subs to tops crosstalk audible?
2xT30

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:I was talking to a friend last night and he said that subs and tops are best not run on the same amp due to crosstalk, mainly from sub signal harmonics interfering with tops signal in the amp. Is this specific subs to tops crosstalk audible?
I'm going to let someone more educated and experienced than me, answer this one. As I understand it, amplifier "cross-talk" has not been an issue for quite some time.

If you download the manual .PDF from Thomann, the specs list cross-talk @ 1 KHz, 10% power to be <-80dB. IOW, your friend is about 30 or so years behind the times. You should not have any problems running the amp as I stated in my previous post.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

BrentEvans

#6 Post by BrentEvans »

Regarding running subs and tops on the same amp, it depends on the amp. Most modern amps can handle it with no problems, especially in low to moderate volume settings. If you're really pushing things to the limit, like running both sides of the amp at 4 ohms (or, <gasp> 2 ohms) and running full out volume, you may begin to notice that the power supply sags a bit. A big hit in the subs can cause a small distortion in the tops. This is not crosstalk, just the amp running out of current capacity (Watts DO matter, contrary to mantra around here).

Add to that that most of the time you need more power for subs than tops, and that there are many benefits to running in stereo, it's usually a good idea to keep tops and subs on a seperate amp.

That said, I've sometimes used just one amp, or one four channel amp, and had no problems... but only because it was within the capabilities of the amp. Newer lightweight Class D amps are more susceptible to running out of current capacity in my experience, but it theoretically can affect old iron too.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Charles Jenkinson

#7 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I bought the Thomann amp, and used it on Saturday to run two subs on channels A & B, and two tops in stereo on channels C & D. There wasn't any noticeable degradation of sound as per the discussions on crosstalk.

It was useful to have to reset the limiter on the PA+ for the new amp, because I inadvertently deleted the existing user setup I've been using for subs and tops - it was wrong anyway - none of the factory presets in the PA+ have a mono low (ML) out, they're always left and right, so I had to figure out how to do that. The limiter needed a good 20dB of reduction dialling in to bring 70 odd volts down to just under 50v at full signal. I probably set the crossover a bit low at 90Hz, considering I was using a W8 for a bit of booth infill, so I would change that next time.

Very pleased with it so far, and quite a chunk of amplifier for the money, and with the 3 yr.warranty to boot, it seems a no brainer. What was far more obvious variability with respect to the overall sound reproduced (eq wise) was the use of different sources for playing tracks. One of the sources - a Samsung phone was quite poor with its DAC's interpretation of a high quality spotify file. We will watch out for that another time.
2xT30

David Raehn

#8 Post by David Raehn »

If running different pass bands from the same amp were a real-world problem, Crown wouldn't have made the Macrotech 36x12.
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:If running different pass bands from the same amp were a real-world problem, Crown wouldn't have made the Macrotech 36x12.
Gotta admit....I'd never seen that one!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

David Raehn

#10 Post by David Raehn »

BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
Way too many cables

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:I guess it's a northeast thing.....

https://clairusedgear.com/collections/a ... -amplifier

Works well with these....

https://clairusedgear.com/collections/s ... roducts/s4

Gotta love those old cabs.....and only 425 pounds!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

David Raehn

#12 Post by David Raehn »

I was at a show with their slightly smaller cousins on 1 July. These boxes had dual 15, dual 10s and dual 2" comps per box. 8 tops and 8 dual 18 subs.

Old school horsepower........
Attachments
20170701_181318b.jpg
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
Way too many cables

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:I was at a show with their slightly smaller cousins on 1 July. These boxes had dual 15, dual 10s and dual 2" comps per box. 8 tops and 8 dual 18 subs.

Old school horsepower........
:shock: :shock:

Man, I bet that was smokin'!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

David Raehn

#14 Post by David Raehn »

The same crew will be with me and my T48 / OT12 (4 each) rig in September. Same band, same engineer and techs. I hope they will be impressed.
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
Way too many cables

chris_c_

#15 Post by chris_c_ »

Here's a sound check of the Thomann TSA 4-700.

Interesting, the Thomann is Class H, 12.5 kg weight. Double the weight of the the Class D inuke NU4-6000.
Newest mix 8) https://facebook.com/BEATJACKERmusic "Like" appreciated :D