Crown XLS Series

Is this amp OK?
DJPhatman

Re: Crown XLS Series

#31 Post by DJPhatman »

Specsto wrote:Thx Bruce and DjPhatman,

I think I'll go with it and limit at 50v. However I do want to high pass at 40hz (the only reason I'm building 4). I want the drum and bass to rumble/beat people's chests. It sounds like I won't need to get near 50v anyway.
No, you probably won't. But, limiting is not optional, and don't bother with any sub-synth, either. Just make sure all your subs are the same polarity, that you wall or corner load them and use a V-plate, if you can. All this adds up to free SPL.

I think for the size difference, you really should build T48s, as wide as you can transport. Driver cost (KappaLite 3015LF) is around the same as the 3012LF. But, 4 T48s go down to 35Hz with ease, and 36" wide ones are bass MONSTERS! :twisted: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :shock: :lol:

I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Specsto

#32 Post by Specsto »

Thx DjPhatman,
No, you probably won't. But, limiting is not optional, and don't bother with any sub-synth, either. Just make sure all your subs are the same polarity, that you wall or corner load them and use a V-plate, if you can. All this adds up to free SPL.
Groups of less than four cabs should be high-passed at 45 Hz. With four cabs or more 40 Hz is acceptable. High pass filters are contained in many active crossovers, and both high pass filters and limiters are in loudspeaker management systems like the Behringer DCX 2496 and DBX Drive Rack series. Some newer amps also have on-board DSP with these features.
This is what my plans read. Also they say 55v limiting. Once again I am fine with 50v as I doubt I'll need all of it. I have 0 experience with these speakers thus I appreciate all the help, but i wanted to build these because 40hz should be adequate for our purposes. Also I wanted to keep the subs small but still reach low end. Plus I scored 4 Lab 12s for the price of 2 :loler: . T48s are not an option right now. Did I mention right now :clap: :cowboy: :clap: :wink: :wink:

In a perfect world I'd love to have a system like Seth Green in "The Italian Job" or "Doc" in "Back to the future".

Thx Bruce,

You think the 2500 will not be enough? I should then go for 1000w/channel at 4ohms or 63v+. Maybe I'll just stay with my drummers ep4000, which is supposed to do 75v+/channel.
2 - DR250 (2510) Melded Array
2 - T39s (Lab 12)

Bruce Weldy

#33 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Specsto wrote: You think the 2500 will not be enough? I should then go for 1000w/channel at 4ohms or 63v+. Maybe I'll just stay with my drummers ep4000, which is supposed to do 75v+/channel.
At 50 volts, it may fine. I just found that when I tried to set the limiters at the higher setting, it was getting into the input overload in order to get that much voltage.....and I don't want to lighting the lights on the amp before I hit my limiter.

I've come to believe that most amps won't get to their advertised ratings without hammering the input.

I didn't go so far as the check the output voltage on the 2500 to see how far it would go before clipping the input - once I saw the input light, I decided to go with the bridged 1500s.

Limit them to 50 volts, v-plate and corner load 'em - you'll probably be very happy.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Specsto

#34 Post by Specsto »

Sounds good. I think I might be able to grab a XTI 2000 instead. Though it is heavier at least it is rated to 57v at 4ohms. Maybe that is a better choice. I'll probably still limit to 50v anyway.
2 - DR250 (2510) Melded Array
2 - T39s (Lab 12)