Can i use this amp with a T-30?

Is this amp OK?
Muchobass

Can i use this amp with a T-30?

#1 Post by Muchobass »

Thinking of building a 16" t-30 with BP102 for djing at home (so space is tight hence 16" wide) mostly bass heavy music like house and drum n bass. I have this mono amp and want to know if i can use it as to save having to buy one with dsp because i'm on a tight budget. Might build a second one later and buy better amp so i can do small gatherings, but for now would like to use this if possible.

NHT SA-2 Mono Bass
System Type: 120 watt discrete monaural subwoofer amplifier. Class G.
Frequency Response: 25Hz ? 150Hz, +/-3dB.
Distortion: Less than 0.03% at full power.
Crossover: Continuously variable low pass crossover: 35-150Hz, 18dB/octave
Selectable high-pass crossover: 50, 75, 100Hz, 12dB/octave (line level) Fixed high-pass at 100Hz, 6dB/octave (high level)
Connectors: Line level inputs and outputs Speaker level inputs and outputs
Features: Defeatable auto-standby mode 2 position selectable phase control (0 and 180 degrees)

DJPhatman

Re: Can i use this amp with a T-30?

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Muchobass wrote:Thinking of building a 16" t-30 with BP102 for djing at home (so space is tight hence 16" wide) mostly bass heavy music like house and drum n bass.
Build a Table Tuba instead. It will have lower extension than a single T30. A T30 is a professional public address sub, not really wanted inside a house or a bedroom. A TT is the right tool for the job.
Muchobass wrote:I have this mono amp and want to know if i can use it as to save having to buy one with dsp because i'm on a tight budget. Might build a second one later and buy better amp so i can do small gatherings, but for now would like to use this if possible.
This is where the game changes. "Home" subs and "PA" subs are 2 different needs. How do you plan on high-passing and low-passing the subs? Or hard-knee limiting? Or what about EQ for room correction? This is ALL mandatory equipment for a PA, even "small gatherings". You don't have to buy an amp with DSP. In fact, there are lots of good-quality amps available without it. But, you must have a crossover, a limiter and EQ for a PA setup. And you get all of this with a small DSP unit. Since you're on a tight budget, go for the Behringer DCX 2496. They are easily found on-line for around US$150 used.

If you do build a T30, save up a lot longer and get the Kappalite 3012LF, not the BP102. Not because it's lighter weight but because it will give you a LOT more output.

As far as your amp goes, it's not great, but it will work for at home. It is not an amp for professional PA use. I would not recommend it's use for "small gatherings".
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Muchobass

#3 Post by Muchobass »

I like the idea of the TT as drivers cost less but it may be because my plans are from 6 years or so ago but the Eminence HL10c doesn't seem to be available anymore. Plus the plans don't give much info but is there a big difference between the 8 and 10. What would be be better for music? Plus what is the long style? That is also not in my plans.

Drey Chennells

#4 Post by Drey Chennells »

Muchobass wrote:..is there a big difference between the 8 and 10. What would be be better for music? Plus what is the long style? That is also not in my plans.
Like DJP has said the TT would be a great choice. That amp would be fine as long as you go in understanding with any system you will need to work within it's limits as a whole. You need to get a TT plans update.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Muchobass wrote:I like the idea of the TT as drivers cost less but it may be because my plans are from 6 years or so ago but the Eminence HL10c doesn't seem to be available anymore. Plus the plans don't give much info but is there a big difference between the 8 and 10. What would be be better for music? Plus what is the long style? That is also not in my plans.
So, TT is better for what you want for now.
So, do that, and save your dollars for mobile DJing at a later time, and do it right.

The TT long style is a TT refolded to a different format. Longer thinner etc. This might let you stand it up in a corner if space is tight, or use it as a bench with some cushions on top as well, just as examples.
Generally, cabs using 10" drivers have wider build options, and higher output compared to 8". But it doesn't matter which you choose, either will do movies or music just fine.
Even when DJing at home just remember, if you push the cabs to hard, the driver blows!

If, later, you go with T30's for DJing, let's give you a little comparison.
It will take 2 x 16" wide cabs loaded with BP102's to be as loud as 1 x 16" wide cab loaded with a 3012lf, at maximum volume.
Having said that, the BP102 is a great little driver, and it does well enough in those of Bill's designs that it fits.
Buy once cry once. If you ever think your DJing may get beyond the limits of a couple of BP loaded cabs, buy the 3012lf from the outset.

You can find HL10c's, at a price, but they are superceded. A new player in the market since then is the 3010LF, but since it is only a few dollars cheaper than the 3012lf, it makes more sense to go with the larger driver.

Yes, get updated plans from Bill.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =10&t=3432
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

commander_dan

#6 Post by commander_dan »

Grant Bunter wrote:It will take 2 x 16" wide cabs loaded with BP102's to be as loud as 1 x 16" wide cab loaded with a 3012lf, at maximum volume... Buy once cry once. If you ever think your DJing may get beyond the limits of a couple of BP loaded cabs, buy the 3012lf from the outset.
+1

Speaking from experience with the T30's, and using the comparison above, I guarantee you will quickly find the limits of a pair of narrow BP102 loaded T30's, especially if they're used outdoors. It may be more painful at the beginning, but your future self will forever appreciate your choice to have saved up for a little longer and invested in the (far) superior driver, 3012LF.

If it were me (and I'm not you) and it was likely that I would be using the speakers for gigs as few as twice a year, I would skip the TT and go straight for the PA option as this will save you money and time/effort in the long run. When not being used for PA, I have a pair of T30 set up in a small room at my house for music, and even use em for movies. They're very diverse. I would build 1 medium width T30 with the premium driver to start with, and once you start to find its limits, build a second (if you're really clever, you'd build the pair straight up and load just one cab while saving up for the second driver..).

These cabs take a fair bit of work to complete, hence my preference for choosing bang for effort over bang for buck.

Good luck and happy building!
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Muchobass

#7 Post by Muchobass »

Ok so i have a friend that has 4 sheets of high quality Baltic left over from a PA system he built but it is 3/4". Can this be used? Not to concerned about weight as they will rarely be moved especially the TT.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Muchobass wrote:Ok so i have a friend that has 4 sheets of high quality Baltic left over from a PA system he built but it is 3/4". Can this be used? Not to concerned about weight as they will rarely be moved especially the TT.
Can it? Yes

Should it? No

In order to keep the internal volumes the same, you'd have to do a lot of math.

Now you can always use the 3/4 for the outside shell - that's an easy adjustment to make....and get some 1/2" BB for the interior panels.

But, for the small amount of BB needed for a 16 inch T30, I'd just buy some 1/2".....it will be much easier and won't cost that much.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."