Looking for an amp recommendation

Is this amp OK?
zpro

Re: Looking for an amp recommendation

#16 Post by zpro »

I know this is going to sound stubborn, but I am actually going to go with a crossover rather than a new receiver...

I do not have plans for ever having surround speakers, the system will be limited to stereo mains and 2 subwoofers. Used exclusively for music.

Any recommendations for a crossover that would bridge the gap if I was to go with the Bryston 3b and maintain my current system for the mains power (su9070 preamp -> 2x se9060 mono amps powering mains)?

I assume I can use rca y-splitters on the preamp main out, one line from the y-split going to the 2 se9060 for the mains and the other line from the y-split going to a crossover/low pass filter of some kind which in turn would go to the Bryston 3b?

Or would it be su9070->crossover->one line goes to each amp (one for Bryston, one for 2x se9060)? (I think this makes more sense in order to distribute the low frequency appropriately)

Not sure what kind of keywords to use for this kind of dedicated crossover I would need and I have no prior knowledge as to which models are popular.

Thank you for all the help!

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Stereo out of the preamp to the crossover (dbx driverack will give you crossover, EQ, limiting, balance controls between the tops and subs, etc). From the crossover (highs) to the mains amp L and R, from the crossover (lows - mono) to the sub amp.

If this is for home theater, you are really missing the boat by not using a receiver from this century. Your sound will be coming in analog, which means no Dolby Digital, no surround sound, etc.

So, you are going to put in all the work to build two amazing subwoofers, buy an amp and a speaker processor - then provide a crappy analog signal to the whole thing? GIGO.

Believe me.....I'm old.....I held off a long time before going 5.1 and adding a sub....but, even I did that a decade ago. And then moving to optical and HDMI signals.....even watching sports explodes in sound.

Why put a high performance engine in the car if you only going to put water in the tank?

Not beating you up, but trying to hold on to that old stuff is not going to help your listening experience at all.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

zpro

#18 Post by zpro »

Ok awesome, thanks for the confirmation...

It is definitely not for home theatre use! I do not even own a television :lol: (other than a computer display)!

I am in no ways opposed to modern receivers, I just cannot see the benefit if all I am using this for is stereo music. I do not watch tv or movies :oops: .

I also have many other Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha receivers I could use that are sitting around, but the sound from the se9060 and su9070 is fantastic compared to those for plain old stereo music.

I guess I will start looking for a suitable loudspeaker control system...

I just though of something: I also have the sh-9010 eq from the same series as the amp and preamp...
(you can see it in detail here: http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SH-9010.html)
Could I do: su-9070 rca y splitter on main out -> one line goes to main amps L and R and one line goes to sh-9010 then output from sh-9010 goes to subwoofer amp (with settings appropriate for the subs)?

Sorry if this is getting complex, basically, could I use the sh-9010 as a makeshift subwoofer crossover?

Thanks again.

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If this isn't for home theater, then you are building the wrong subs.

THT are designed to go really low for content in movies, etc.

You should be looking at the table tuba for music reproduction - it goes as low as you need for that application.....and is smaller.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:
I just though of something: I also have the sh-9010 eq from the same series as the amp and preamp...

With just 5 band EQ, I'd leave that out and go for the Driverack. Since this is a two way system, you can go with a used Driverack PX. You'll get the crossover along with WAYYYY better EQ possibilities, including an internal RTA if you get the reference mic also

Sorry if this is getting complex, basically, could I use the sh-9010 as a makeshift subwoofer crossover?
No, see above
Thanks again.

No problem.....we try to help all we can here.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

zpro

#21 Post by zpro »

Thank you so much for all the help!

I will digest all this and keep you posted.

If you can think of any options other than the driverack I am all ears, I just want to widen my horizon to find a good deal on something.

Thanks again! :clap: :D

BTW: I listen to quite a bit of relatively unusual electronic and experimental music that regularly dips below 20Hz. Complete representation of this range is important to me, thus my choice of the THT. I understand that it is intended for home theatre... Sorry, I should have stated that upfront.

zpro

#22 Post by zpro »

So here is a small update:

I have identified locally:

-Bryston 3b for 400cad
-Driverack px for 250cad

I think I will be going with this!

Thanks for all the help! :clap:

Bruce Weldy

#23 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:So here is a small update:

I have identified locally:

-Bryston 3b for 400cad
-Driverack px for 250cad

I think I will be going with this!

Thanks for all the help! :clap:
No problem.....let us know if you need any help.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

zpro

#24 Post by zpro »

Actually I do have another question:

If I am finding DBX driverack pa and pa+ for cheaper than the px should I go for that instead? I found a pa with the rta mic for 350cad.

Thanks.

Bruce Weldy

#25 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:Actually I do have another question:

If I am finding DBX driverack pa and pa+ for cheaper than the px should I go for that instead? I found a pa with the rta mic for 350cad.

Thanks.
Anyone of them will work just fine. The RTA mic brand new is only $100, so I'd look for the cheapest driverack and buy a reference mic on eBay for $50.

The PA and PA+ can handle up to three way systems, where the PX is only two way. But, that's all you need and they are usually a little cheaper.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

zpro

#26 Post by zpro »

Just bought the DBX driverack PA with the RTA mic for 280cad!

Should be picking up the Bryston 3b next week sometime.

CoronaOperator

#27 Post by CoronaOperator »

Where abouts in Canada are you? You should update your profile and enter your location.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

zpro

#28 Post by zpro »

Updated!

I will be buying the bryston 3b this weekend!

I found one for 325cad! :slap: Unbelievable price!

If anyone is opposed to me getting this amp please do share your thoughts. I am seriously open minded and am entirely open to last minute decisions if there is enough conclusive evidence that what I am doing is wrong.

Thanks! :clap:

Bruce Weldy

#29 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:Updated!

I will be buying the bryston 3b this weekend!

I found one for 325cad! :slap: Unbelievable price!

If anyone is opposed to me getting this amp please do share your thoughts. I am seriously open minded and am entirely open to last minute decisions if there is enough conclusive evidence that what I am doing is wrong.

Thanks! :clap:
Just make sure you can try it before you buy it. Take some speakers and test it out.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

SeisTres

#30 Post by SeisTres »

Guess I'm late for the thread, oh well, I guess I'll still post for any future users looking into the topics.

First off, I would recommend the most important and most amazing piece of gear needed for these set ups: MiniDSP. I would recommend it well above anything for live/studio use. Once integrated into your system and running REW, it is simply the best solution for home use by far.

Secondly, I too, would recommend the tabletuba, but reading as how you need the extra extension, then I guess the HT was the only thing left.

And lastly, I would skip any of the dedicated sub amps and simply get full range four way amp or a 200watt/ch amp for subs, and 100watt/ch amp for mains.

After having my miniDSP set up, I would never recommend anything else for home use. 5.1 is a different story, but I think they have a new model that can do that too. However, I have no use for it as my set up is 2.1 and I have no use for anything else.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub