Looking for an amp recommendation

Is this amp OK?
zpro

Looking for an amp recommendation

#1 Post by zpro »

Hello,

So, I am looking for an appropriate amp to power my two THT LP.

I currently am using 2 x Technics se9060 to power my two mains in mono (Jim Holtz, Statements II) alongside the matching preamplifier, a Technics su9070. (I also have the entire collection of this 1970's "studio" setup: tape, am/fm, parametric eq, etc. Beautiful stuff I must say)

Upon further reflection I have decided I would like to keep these beautiful amps (or rather cannot get rid of them) and complement my two THT LP with something else.

What would be a good option for powering two THT LP (with dayton RSS390HF)? Preferably not made in China, but I am willing to listen to any suggestions...

Also important is that it has to be able to communicate with the preamp (su9070) I assume, not sure how to pull that off...

Would the two se9060 running stereo be powerful enough (one amp for the mains and one amp for the two subs) not that i necessarily want to do that, but if I can have one less plug in my sockets and one less appliance to repair and maintain why not?

Many thanks! :hyper:

Radian

Re: Looking for an amp recommendation

#2 Post by Radian »

zpro wrote:What would be a good option for powering two THT LP (with dayton RSS390HF)? Preferably not made in China
http://www.marchandelec.com/mb42.html
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

zpro

#3 Post by zpro »

Looks amazing, but is out of my price range unfortunately...

Preferably around 500usd. I am looking into crown xti2000, crown k1/k2.

I like buying semi-old used stuff that was once worth thousands, but is now worth a fraction of that and tend to avoid buying truly new stuff still selling for thousands.

I am not completely discarding made in china btw, was just a general disclaimer for preference...

Is there something akin to the Dayton SA1000 but for two subs?

Just looking for ideas, anyone who knows of really good quality older stuff that I could buy used on eBay let me know!

I see a lot of Bryston 4b/3b go for sale locally for peanuts around me, how would one of those do for this application?

Thanks! :D

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

I wondering if you're over estimating the power your THTLP's will need.

In the past I've seen it said that mid 20's Volts into these cabs is unbearably loud.

Lot's of people use a bash 300 plate amp, go to a 500 if you wish.
Put it in it's own case near the rest of your gear.
And banish the potential issue of fan noise at the same time...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

KJ4BXT

#5 Post by KJ4BXT »

I'd probably put them in parallel and get something like the Dayton SA230.
Or if fan noise wasn't an issue I'd look at a used QSC RMC that I could pull and use in my full rig if needed, but that might not be a consideration for you.

The Bryston looks like a nice amp, but you'd need a crossover to go with that unless you're feeding it off a LFE channel.
---------------------------
meyers at my job, BFM for my system
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf
2x DR250 with 2510 and melded array

Other hardware comes and goes, but these speakers stay.

zpro

#6 Post by zpro »

I understand that the amps I recommended are overkill for this application, but when looking at the prices these amps sometimes cost around the same as a bash 500!

Fan noise is not an issue for me at the moment, i can quiet them with aftermarket fans and on crown xti models they rarely ever turn on.

crown k1/k2 have no fans.

How about the crown xti1000?

I am looking for:

-rack mountable
-stereo output (to power both subs from one unit)
-~500usd (preferably used)
-not made in China if possible (this point is not that important)

Thanks for the input!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

zpro wrote: -not made in China
Almost everything is.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
zpro wrote: -not made in China
Almost everything is.

Including all but the very early XTIs.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Radian

#9 Post by Radian »

zpro wrote:I understand that the amps I recommended are overkill for this application, but when looking at the prices these amps sometimes cost around the same as a bash 500!
That's a clue.

Are you asking us, or are you wanting us to agree with you?

Take it from someone who drove his home theater subwoofer with a K2 amp for a couple years. It's not overkill, it's a PITA. :slap:

Skip to 8:20 in the video below to see.

Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

zpro

#10 Post by zpro »

No I honestly am not trying to convince you of anything.

I was merely stating that I am not a big fan of buying new items due to the steep initial depreciation curve and due to the availability of lightly used but still good items at a fraction of the cost.

I obviously am aware that most everything is made in China :) , I just thought there might possibly be a made in USA amp that I could pay a bit more for that someone might recommend. I also was speaking more in terms of older stuff used (back when made in China was not so ubiquitous...)

I understand the Bash 300/500 are great options, but I really am not a big fan of having to build a box for my amp and having to have 2 amps for my 2 subs.

Unless there are no other viable options to consider that are rack mountable and can power 2 channels, I guess I will look into a Bash 300 or 500.

Thanks for the input! I honestly appreciate any advice and am not decided on anything yet. Is the xti1000 not a good option? (I know, they are made in China)

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote: I understand the Bash 300/500 are great options, but I really am not a big fan of having to build a box for my amp and having to have 2 amps for my 2 subs.

Is the xti1000 not a good option?
There is no reason to have two amps for your subs. They should be run mono, so any single amp that produces enough power will be sufficient for two cabinets. The Bash 300 is 300 watts at 4 ohms. That's enough to drive you out of any normal sized room at 1/4 power.

An xti1000 will work as will an XLS1000 (even cheaper). If it's not enough power running them one off each side, then bridge it.

But, it's hard to find even a used Crown for cheaper than a new Bash 300 at $170.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

zpro

#12 Post by zpro »

Thanks for the info Bruce! I totally missed that...

Ok how about this: I could buy a Bryston 3b locally for 400CAD!

Would this be suitable? I am assuming I will need an external sub crossover with it?

I have had very good experiences with bryston amps, built like tanks in Canada. They offer a 20 year warranty on all their products if I am not mistaken!

Still looking around...

Thanks! :hyper:

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:Thanks for the info Bruce! I totally missed that...

Ok how about this: I could buy a Bryston 3b locally for 400CAD!

Would this be suitable? I am assuming I will need an external sub crossover with it?

I have had very good experiences with bryston amps, built like tanks in Canada. They offer a 20 year warranty on all their products if I am not mistaken!

Still looking around...

That amp looks perfect.....has RCA inputs, so you can take the Sub out from your receiver straight to the amp. Has a mono switch and an "unbalanced" switch. Looks like it's made for home audio.

I heard of these running monitors in studios, but have no experience myself.

Still not sure why you'd spend $400 for a used amp when you can get a Bash for half that brand new. Of course, I'm a bit picky about pro audio stuff, just not home stereo - so, my thinking may be different than someone who is into home stuff......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

zpro

#14 Post by zpro »

Only problem is my receiver/preamp is a Technics su9070 from the 1970s...

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_librar ... 9070.shtml

I am quite certain there is no sub-out on this.

Any workarounds I could look into?

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

zpro wrote:Only problem is my receiver/preamp is a Technics su9070 from the 1970s...

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_librar ... 9070.shtml

I am quite certain there is no sub-out on this.

Any workarounds I could look into?

You will need a crossover for sure. I can't see the back of the amp, but more than likely there are no line outs to get to a crossover. By the time you buy a crossover, you might as well upgrade to a new unit with a line out for your subs, built in crossovers, and additional internal amps for your surround speakers - you will have surround speakers if this is for Home Theater.

They have gotten really cheap and can do a whole lot.

Time for the Technics to go to the office for stereo listening.....like my 1976 Pioneer stereo amp.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210