iNuke 6000 NU4

Is this amp OK?
Bruce Weldy

iNuke 6000 NU4

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Getting tired of having to schlep an extra amp rack when I need more than two monitor mixes. My main rack is full and I'm contemplating a 4 channel amp. My rack is full of Crowns and there isn't an option from Crown, so I'm having to look outside to replace the current 2 channel Crown.

First considered the Carvin - a little underpowered and I'll have to reverse the airflow....

Just looked up the Behringer (why is there no emoticon for puking?) iNuke 4 channel amp....more power and $200 cheaper....and I'll have to reverse the airflow on this one too.

I know a bunch of you guys run the Behringer amps......anyone use one of these 4 channel ones? Any comments good or bad?

This is one of those "I don't really need it, but I kinda' want to make things easier" decisions. I can add the two extra inputs and outputs to my current rack panel and save time and effort on every setup.....that extra amp rack with two amps in it is kinda' heavy.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

Re: iNuke 6000 NU4

#2 Post by CoronaOperator »

I have 2 of them and so far they have been great. About 48 volts of output per channel. My only complaint with the inuke's is the iec cable in the back is a loose fit. They are very lightweight but like you mentioned the air flow is back to front.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

KJ4BXT

#3 Post by KJ4BXT »

Since you're looking at the 4 channel inuke I'll assume you don't need dsp.

Personally, knowing the history of Behringer I won't buy them on principle (at least new, and I try to avoid used)
I've had some of their gear, and about half of it hasn't had any issues yet. I've also repaired more gear of that brand for friends than any other (blown caps, etc.)
That being said, they've bought out enough companies that their gear seems to be getting better. I don't have any of their amplifiers, butI don't hear too many horror stories about the inuke series, so it's probably fine.

At 8 Ohms the Carvin here has about the same power as the inuke, (+/- 15W) but is more expensive.
http://carvinaudio.com/collections/dcml ... -power-amp

I'm currently running my mains off a GTD TN-350 given to me. Wouldn't recommend for HT, but for pro sound I haven't had any complaints.
It's not a bad option if you want a bit more modularity. (2 CH, 1 RU, buy 2 -> 4CH / 2 RU)
Here's its little brother: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-4500- ... 2c719fdbfc

QSC makes some awesome stuff, but that's in a different price range altogether.
---------------------------
meyers at my job, BFM for my system
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf
2x DR250 with 2510 and melded array

Other hardware comes and goes, but these speakers stay.

bradn7

#4 Post by bradn7 »

I know that the QSC PLD amps are a bit more pricey than you are wanting to spend, but I bought one for running monitors and I abosolutely love it. Plenty of power, and Since most my amps are the Peavey 12m the presets work amazingly. For the 4th of July, I used it to run my FOH. I used yet another preset and it powered my Rig with plenty of volume. (two Peavey TLS 2s for tops and two Titan48's 24 inch wide. Great amp with easy navigation on the front panel/computer!

KJ4BXT

#5 Post by KJ4BXT »

If I had the money to build a new rig I'd go all the way with the PLD series. 8)
QSC designed custom silicone for them, and the flexibility in configuration options is amazing. I'm just imagining a stack of 4.3's... :chainsaw: :broke:
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

KJ4BXT wrote:
At 8 Ohms the Carvin here has about the same power as the inuke, (+/- 15W) but is more expensive.
http://carvinaudio.com/collections/dcml ... -power-amp
Well, son of a :cussing:

I fell into the Behringer Bullshit trap.....their manual says 440 watts at 8 ohms.....I missed the "maximum power" heading.

At 48 volts (as per Corona's post) - that's only 288 watts at 8 ohms.....

That's one reason I hate that company.....they just won't give you straight info.

So, based on that - the Carvin actually has a little more power. Either one would work at those ratings, but I'd really like to have a little more. I guess that ain't happening....so, it boils down to price and reliability.

At a $200 difference - it would be easy to give the Behringer a shot.....(although the gear snob in me really would rather not have that brand in my rack for the world to see).

I'll have to cogitate a little on this.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

KJ4BXT wrote: I'm currently running my mains off a GTD TN-350 given to me. Wouldn't recommend for HT, but for pro sound I haven't had any complaints.
It's not a bad option if you want a bit more modularity. (2 CH, 1 RU, buy 2 -> 4CH / 2 RU)
Here's its little brother: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Channel-4500- ... 2c719fdbfc
yow! 26 pounds for a 1U amp....I'd be looking a over 50 pounds for 4 channels and a lot more expensive.

I like the idea of 1U amps.....but, that is just stupid heavy. My crowns are only 10 pounds.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

KJ4BXT

#8 Post by KJ4BXT »

I'm pretty sure mine's not upwards of 20 lbs. I think that's a typo.

Check the weight on this, it's about right:

https://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-Channe ... entries*=0

(Edit)
That's the higher powered model I own, not the one I linked earlier, but should still be similar.
2x 24" T48 with 3015lf

NukePooch

#9 Post by NukePooch »

I had a inuke 3k... Sounded loud on mains, but it lost a lot of power on my generator. I was told it was likely due to the inukes not having some power doohickey, so it was looking for 80 amp peaks... On gennie, my Crest LT1000 was noticibly louder @ 280w @ 8ohms... I sent it back and got a used QSC GX7. Inuke1k's work good for W6's though cause the amps aren't getting hammered.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

CoronaOperator

#10 Post by CoronaOperator »

That's a good point NukePooch. You need a solid mains power supply with the inuke's. For generator power look elsewhere. The inuke's don't have any power factor correction so it gulps all its power in short 80 amp bursts rather than a steady 10 amps or whatever the thing draws. I use mine in a perm install with dedicated stage panel so I'm ok there.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Looks more and more like I just need to suck it up and use my crowns.....or build a new main rack where everything will fit. If I took out the Yamaha board I have in the top of the rack, I could mount the driveracks up there and add another amp to the bottom.

Then I'd have to build a little case for the yamaha board......hmmmm.... that almost starts to sound like fun...

Anyway, it would be kinda' silly to buy another amp when I have 3 spare Crowns just hanging around....right?

Maybe there are some winter time projects looming....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Chris_Allen

#12 Post by Chris_Allen »

I like Behringer, they do what I need them too.

I use the 1000DSP and 2x 3000DSP and they what I need them too but:

A) I don't run them to the limit as I don't need too.
B) If one breaks during a gig, I can work round it.

The Nuke 4 is apparently 2x 3000s stuck together. The iNukes are cheaper and you get what you pay for. I would generally recommend the Behringer as I haven't had a problem but in this case, I would skip it.

The NU4 sounds more like they thought they could get another product out of existing designs which never fills me with confidence.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BrentEvans

#13 Post by BrentEvans »

I've used the nu4s in a couple of installs, which gave me a chance to test them nicely. I find them adequate for situations that aren't very demanding. They make good monitors amps. They do fine for mains when you're not pushing them to the limits (8 ohm loads, reasonable volume levels). They are weak for subs unless bridged, which negates the effectiveness of the four channels unless you're running two tops and one sub. In this case, bridging is to bond the power supplies for more capacity rather than solely for voltage increase.

Peavey IPR2 amps (and crest prolite if you prefer) are far superior for not much more money.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:
Peavey IPR2 amps (and crest prolite if you prefer) are far superior for not much more money.
Best I can tell though, is that they don't have a 4 channel option....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:
Best I can tell though, is that they don't have a 4 channel option....
The don't, but I don't buy or recommend amps based on that.

If the desire is four amp channels in two rack spaces, Qsc pld is the way to go, but they have limitations too. Power soft has some too I think...

Might be less expensive to just get another rack....
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.