Inexpensive setup?

Is this amp OK?
jakeobr

Inexpensive setup?

#1 Post by jakeobr »

hi,

I just purchased a Lab12; I'm going to be building a 19" T60 in the summer, but I don't know what to do with my amp situation...right now i have a pair of old Peavey Sp2's that the T60 will be working with, I also already have a mixer for my setup. I think a single T60 will suffice. opinions?

One thing is I'm not looking to spend much money, and because I'm Calgary, everything from the u.s is marked up at least 25% or more up here without considering shipping.

Anyway, the reason why this is in the amp section is because I'm looking for some opinions on what kind amp setup that would work best for me while being as inexpensive as possible. I know that my Peavey's take 30V, but I've reached that level. Will I need and amp to take me to 50V? I dont think I will max out T60, but I've never heard one.

I'm also looking for some opinions on what kind amp setup that would work best for me, while being as inexpensive as possible. I was thinking a inuke3000dsp even though its $450 here.

thanks

Grant Bunter

Re: Inexpensive setup?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi jakeobr,
Welcome to the forum :)

Lets take this one step at a time.

Why did you choose a T60?
Is it because of the content you think it needs to reproduce, or, because of the genre you usually play, you have measured the content and know you need a T60.

In other words, tell us the genre(s) you usually play.
By far and away, the cab most often not needed to be built is a T60.

I see you understand you need DSP, so, the inuke DSP, even though you think it is expensive, actually helps you out in that it has the amp and DSP combined. Do some sums on an adequate amp + say a DBX driverack and you will understand the excellent comparitive value.
Honestly, if you're going to load a cab with a Lab 12, what's the point in skimping on an amp that won't drive it to maximum output?

T60's, in fact any horn subs, are not usually best as singles. Horn cabs like to run in herds, because placing them all together, thus increasing mouth area, aids in lowering extension.

You're right to look at adding subs though, adding subs takes away the heavy duty on the bottom end of your SP2's and will give them a relative new lease of life.

I'll just put it out there for you though, that wanting to step into tops and subs is basically wanting to step into pro audio, and once you do that, you basically need to spend money.
You can save some $ building cabs yourself, but eventually being really tight on the $ will come back and bite you in the ass when your gear fails mid gig. So don't scrimp tooooo hard.
We have a saying often used here; Buy once, cry once...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

jakeobr

#3 Post by jakeobr »

Grant Bunter wrote:Hi jakeobr,
Welcome to the forum :)

Lets take this one step at a time.

Why did you choose a T60?
Is it because of the content you think it needs to reproduce, or, because of the genre you usually play, you have measured the content and know you need a T60.

In other words, tell us the genre(s) you usually play.
By far and away, the cab most often not needed to be built is a T60.

>Me and my friends play a lot of rap and edm with low extension. in audacity's analyzer some songs go below 35hz, hence the T60. I also forgot to mention that this is not for gigs or anything, just for parties, and i want it low and loud. as a bunch of university kids, seeing a sub that is almost as big as a person it impressive, and worth the size or weight i think.

I see you understand you need DSP, so, the inuke DSP, even though you think it is expensive, actually helps you out in that it has the amp and DSP combined. Do some sums on an adequate amp + say a DBX driverack and you will understand the excellent comparitive value.
Honestly, if you're going to load a cab with a Lab 12, what's the point in skimping on an amp that won't drive it to maximum output?

>You are definitely right.

T60's, in fact any horn subs, are not usually best as singles. Horn cabs like to run in herds, because placing them all together, thus increasing mouth area, aids in lowering extension.

>only building one is possible right now, but maybe ill build another one down the line.

You're right to look at adding subs though, adding subs takes away the heavy duty on the bottom end of your SP2's and will give them a relative new lease of life.

I'll just put it out there for you though, that wanting to step into tops and subs is basically wanting to step into pro audio, and once you do that, you basically need to spend money.
You can save some $ building cabs yourself, but eventually being really tight on the $ will come back and bite you in the ass when your gear fails mid gig. So don't scrimp tooooo hard.
We have a saying often used here; Buy once, cry once...

>after university or during summer when i'm working for extra money i will definitely be able to spend more on my hobbies like this. but i understand the buy once cry one saying.

67baja

#4 Post by 67baja »

"...seeing a sub that is almost as big as a person it impressive, and worth the size or weight i think."
Close, but not accurate. More like a sub the size of a refrigerator. Seriously, build a cardboard box the size of a t60 and make sure you can live with losing that much space. You can probably get by with a couple Table Tubas. They are a 30 Hz horn. Build them as wide as you can and load them with 10"s.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Radian

#5 Post by Radian »

67baja wrote:"...seeing a sub that is almost as big as a person it impressive, and worth the size or weight i think."
Close, but not accurate. More like a sub the size of a refrigerator. Seriously, build a cardboard box the size of a t60 and make sure you can live with losing that much space. You can probably get by with a couple Table Tubas. They are a 30 Hz horn. Build them as wide as you can and load them with 10"s.
+1 Well Said. T60 are foo-king huge, even in the horn crowd. :shock:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

jakeobr

#6 Post by jakeobr »

I will make a cardboard box and see how big the T60 is and see if it will be too much of an inconvenience, it will make things much easier to get a real life comparison.
Until then we could probably close this thread because its in the amps section and now we are talkin' woofers. I might start a thread in the tuba section when i get farther into the build or when i have another question.

thanks for the help!

CoronaOperator

#7 Post by CoronaOperator »

If you are ever doing a road trip, I have T60's in Medicine Hat if you want a demo. Just shoot me a PM.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

subharmonic

#8 Post by subharmonic »

If you have a place to store it, I say go for it. Young guys will have no issue moving a T60 in and out of party houses, a single will T60 will have plenty gitty-up and are brutal in residential settings (I have one in my lower livingroom for sale).

Since you guys are young, look for used iron amps. Ashly FET or FTX can be had for $200 on ebay in US I assume you guyss can't be too far off those prices. Add in a used DCX/DEQ, BBE DS26, driverack, you are going to be crushing the scene. Maybe flip out those tops for some DR or OTops when you know you are in for the longhaul.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

CoronaOperator

#9 Post by CoronaOperator »

Or a single amp with DSP. One of the inuke DSP's can be had for not too much money and then you could use 1 channel for subs and the other for tops. With the built in DSP you wouldn't need anything else.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

jakeobr

#10 Post by jakeobr »

Weight isn't a concern as I have castors for the sub, I'll be able to wheel it around.

I actually bought a driverack px off kijiji for only $180, it came with an rta too!

I also bought a rebranded yamaha p7000s amp called a deura sb7000 for only $200 off kijiji - it works great so far, I think I got it for a good price. I'll use it as a sub channel and a mono mains channel.

For $380, I spent less than what a inuke 3000 dsp costs (in Calgary) while getting gear that usually costs way more.

Now I just have to continue building my T60, I work so much now that I barely have any time for it.

88h88

#11 Post by 88h88 »

Build the cab as wide as you possibly can (up to the full 27") to wring every single bit of SPL you can out of it if you can only make one of them right now. And the T60 is hilariously huge but using a sack truck and rolling it around with the mouth up (so the majority of the weight is at the bottom) is pretty easily done, annoying through tight buildings though.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

jakeobr

#12 Post by jakeobr »

88h88 wrote:Build the cab as wide as you possibly can (up to the full 27") to wring every single bit of SPL you can out of it if you can only make one of them right now. And the T60 is hilariously huge but using a sack truck and rolling it around with the mouth up (so the majority of the weight is at the bottom) is pretty easily done, annoying through tight buildings though.
I'm using the Lab12 so I think the widest I could go would be 20", I went 19" though because it was the most efficient use of ply.

subharmonic

#13 Post by subharmonic »

Having heard my pine BP102 T39 20" vs BB Lab 12 24", I would go for small and manageable sizes. Build 2 if 1 is not enough. Sounds like you got a good start to a silly loud system.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

Stratispho

#14 Post by Stratispho »

67baja wrote:"...seeing a sub that is almost as big as a person it impressive, and worth the size or weight i think."
I have one TT with the MCM 8" and it shakes the house, powered by a 100w plate amp. If I was short on funds I'd build a few of them and still be lower in my total cost than 1 T60.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
9 driver Curved SLA center channel
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears
Table Tuba w/ MCM 55-2421

88h88

#15 Post by 88h88 »

jakeobr wrote:I'm using the Lab12 so I think the widest I could go would be 20", I went 19" though because it was the most efficient use of ply.
You are correct, I was thinking about the Lab15 single loaded version. Sorry.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"