Thoughts on this amp?

Is this amp OK?
brown18

Thoughts on this amp?

#1 Post by brown18 »

Hey guys, first post in the forums so apologies if its not upto scratch. Anyways for my first build im looking at a smaller sub for the studio so thinking of going for the tall auto tuba with 10" Dayton DCS255-4 driver. As im in new zealand and on a tight budget im trying to limit my purchases online and keep costs down. I know some of you are shaking your heads but it has to be done at this time, now im looking at this amp. The specs are fairly vague so i thought id hopefully get your opinion. And i wont be mounting it into the sub itself, ill extend all external panels but keeping the internal space as per plans so it wont affect the design. Any info much appreciated, thanks.

http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/product ... d-your-own

DJPhatman

Re: Thoughts on this amp?

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

#1, Welcome to the forum! :hyper:

#2, instead of the Auto Tuba, build a T18 or Table Tuba instead. The Auto Tuba was designed specifically to work in an automobile. T18 and the TT are designed to work in a house or office space.

#3, do yourself a favor, and purchase the entire collection of Bill's designs. Trust me, you won't regret it! :lol:

#4, the amp needs more published specifications, but should work just fine, with the caveat that it has XLR (balanced) inputs, and home A/V receivers usually have RCA (unbalanced) outputs. As for the mounting, keep the amp close to the receiver, not the sub. This is one of the reasons on-board amps make no sense in home audio or H/T.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

brown18

#3 Post by brown18 »

Thanks, yea was a noob choice on my part was thinking of the 10" factor(probably doesn't make much difference) and the TT is slightly bigger and wont fit. Although i did read some where on here that there will be very little (if any) sound difference between the 2. I also have some t30 designs for the future but though id start small :)....if there will be a noticeable difference between the tall auto tuba and a t18 then i shall reconsider.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The studio: is that the same as an apartment, where the neighbors are on the other side of the wall?
If so, then the amp has plenty of power. It also has a variable hi-pass which is good as well. Like DJP noted, the input might be a bit of a challenge due to the XLR, of which you would have to make a custom cable (easy to do).
TomS

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Tom Smit wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The studio: is that the same as an apartment, where the neighbors are on the other side of the wall?
If so, then the amp has plenty of power. It also has a variable hi-pass which is good as well. Like DJP noted, the input might be a bit of a challenge due to the XLR, of which you would have to make a custom cable (easy to do).
Yes, welcome! :)

Tom, While the Kiwi's don't always like being treated like Aussies lol, much of the language is similar.
So a studio doesn't relate to accommodation, I'm taking it that's it's for a music/studio/mix down area etc

+1 on a T18, even a T24. These subs are designed for your intended purpose brown18, any sort of autotuba is designed for in car use, where it benefits from cabin gain to work like it does in that environment. Unless your studio is the internal size of a car, go for a design that fits the purpose.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

brown18

#6 Post by brown18 »

Yea sorry as Grant said i mean a smallish room (slightly bigger than a car) with my turnies and computer/midi set up. I was thinkng these cables to combat the xlr issue...my dj mixer has xlr output so thats all good and for other cases ill use these cables. And guess ill be ordering some t18 plans, just aslong it can fit under my desk. Thanks for all the input :)

http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/product ... x-rca-male
http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/product ... tereo-jack

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

And guess ill be ordering some t18 plans
Like DJP posted, try reach a little higher and buy the whole CD. :chainsaw:
TomS

brown18

#8 Post by brown18 »

Tom Smit wrote:
And guess ill be ordering some t18 plans
Like DJP posted, try reach a little higher and buy the whole CD. :chainsaw:

Trust me id love to, and one day i will. But due to my current circumstance, i have to spend wisely. (off work with surgery, family to feed ect)

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Understood.
TomS