Home Amp - future planning

Is this amp OK?
Stratispho

Home Amp - future planning

#1 Post by Stratispho »

Hopefully a simple answer. I'll eventually add 2 THTLP's. Would I need to power each with a plate amp like the Bash 300 or I could power them with one 500w and split the output?

If the answer is two 300w, is there any harm in building a box that houses both amplifiers side by side?
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
9 driver Curved SLA center channel
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears
Table Tuba w/ MCM 55-2421

Stratispho

Re: Home Amp - future planning

#2 Post by Stratispho »

Is something like the iNUKE series with DSP built in a better choice? They're cheaper than a single Bash 500w and look like they can run 2 channels. How hard is it to wire from a home AVR into one of these with the commercial connections?
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

mattaudio

#3 Post by mattaudio »

All power amps should have either a combo XLR-TRS input, or a separate TRS input. It works just fine to run unbalanced into an amp, using a RCA to TS (1/4" with only one ring) cable or adapter.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

mattaudio wrote:All power amps should have either a combo XLR-TRS input, or a separate TRS input. It works just fine to run unbalanced into an amp, using a RCA to TS (1/4" with only one ring) cable or adapter.
True,
Keeping each cable as short as possible is a good idea for unbalanced leads.

Stratispho,
Many people stay away from what you could call a pro audio amp, in the home environment, simply because of the fan noise associated with those amps.

I guess you could mount two plate amps in the same box, just be more wary of heat build up, ie, drill a number of vent holes in the top side of the box (and maybe some in the sides as well, to promote air flow).
Some little pieces of grill on the inside of the holes will stop prying fingers if that's an issue...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Stratispho

#5 Post by Stratispho »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Stratispho,
Many people stay away from what you could call a pro audio amp, in the home environment, simply because of the fan noise associated with those amps.

I guess you could mount two plate amps in the same box, just be more wary of heat build up, ie, drill a number of vent holes in the top side of the box (and maybe some in the sides as well, to promote air flow).
Some little pieces of grill on the inside of the holes will stop prying fingers if that's an issue...

So the downside of a pro amp is fan noise? Plate amps like the Bash won't generate as much heat or should I plan on some 120mm fans to cool those?

Will swapping the pro amps fans out for silent models like I'd use in a PC help with the noise?
Last edited by Stratispho on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

So the downside of a pro amp is fan noise? Plate amps like the Bash won't generate as much heat or should I plan on some 120mm fans to cool those?
By and large, yes, fan noise from pro audio amps is a downside in HT.

You could do that.
120mm fans tend to produce more noise than say a 50mm fan. If you were going to use fans, you really just want to aid air circulation. For the HT environment, the quieter the better.
Any decent fan should have noise production in dB as a spec.
Will swapping the pro amps fans out for silent models like I'd use in a PC help with the noise?
PC fans are usually 12V. You'll find most fans in pro audio amps are mains voltage.
I'd be extremely wary of not having enough cooling, particularly if you're likely to run the cabs loud.
You'd want your purchase to last and changing the fans would void warranty...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Stratispho

#7 Post by Stratispho »

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the typical set up is for people running multiple subs in a home theater environment. I've seen posts where people list that they are running 2 subs, or even 4, but no listing of what they are powering everything off of.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

67baja

#8 Post by 67baja »

In my old theater setup, I was running 2 THTs in series off a bash 500 watt amp. It worked fine until the bash died. In my experience the sub plate amps don't last. Others may have had good luck with them but I have lost a bash 500, Dayton 240, and a Yung (300?). These are all in home environment - not abusing, but not babying them either. The Dayton fried when I accidentally shorted the speaker wires when I removed them from my AT. It isn't just a fuse that blew either.

My next home sub amp will definitely be a pro amp - probably a behringer that I will modify the fan on. There are a lot of fan mod write ups online for pro amps. Also in my amp rack I have an old QSC usa 400 that may become a home sub amp since it has no fans at all.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I'm not an HT guy at all, but you might look at the Crown XLS also. I just got in a new one and left it on my workbench turned on yesterday morning. Went in and out of the garage all day until I left for a gig last night - came in, unloaded stuff......never heard a whisper out of it. I finally noticed the light was on, so I turned it off. They seem to be very quiet.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Stratispho

#10 Post by Stratispho »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I'm not an HT guy at all, but you might look at the Crown XLS also. I just got in a new one and left it on my workbench turned on yesterday morning. Went in and out of the garage all day until I left for a gig last night - came in, unloaded stuff......never heard a whisper out of it. I finally noticed the light was on, so I turned it off. They seem to be very quiet.
To run 2 THT's with the recommended Dayton drivers is the Crown XLS-1000 enough? It's listing 350w for a dual 4 Ohm load or would I need to step up to the XLS-1500 at 525 watts for a dual 4 ohm load?
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears