$$ No way HoesAye $$ Honda generator EU models VS costco powerstroke6500

Is this amp OK?
eshadeol

$$ No way HoesAye $$ Honda generator EU models VS costco powerstroke6500

#1 Post by eshadeol »

:cowboy: I have a location with no electricity to power my small rig.
I'm not going to invest in any speaker building anymore, for now, too many home maintenance problems in unfinished 1930's home. So no Dr's,omni,or jacks.
My current setup:
2JBL srx 725 always at idle = 4ohms never see 1kw-guesstimate= continuous 750w?
2 EV px2152 same as JBL 4 ohms but I'd say because the manifold compression driver 50 watts more @ 800 watts continuous
4 T60 27" 15" lab loaded. 40volt max continuous for me because they outperform in db the 4 dual tops (jbl/ev_tops). I know I get power alleys and valleys, I walk around the yard and hear it for myself. But, in the listening areas, just fine. In this neighborhood - neighbors are so far away - no big deal.
Now, before the power was shut down, because were going off the grid in this location, I would like some advice on what kind of generator me and my uncle should use for a once a month bring your own beer self medicating alcohol bash. Just a joke.
My power amps are:
Ipr2 7500 @ 1/8 = 1550watts for 2 jbl srx=max use1200 watts, I play these louder.
Plx2502 x 2 @ 1/8 = 7.5amps x 2plx's for 2 ev px2152 using max800watts
Plx3602 @ 1/8 = 11 amps only 1 plx3602 for t60 duty= max use 1200watts

I like the silent factor of the honda eu family. Wouldnt mind buying a furman power conditioner for the possible spikes. I'm aware of grounding issues, but remind me please. There is a costco generator with honda motor and power stroke (made in wherever) for 1k$ made by power stroke says it has a feature for sensitive electronics/ continuous voltage - no spikes- but dips are probably going to happen. Not including my low wattage lighting rig LED adj x 6 @ 20 watts a piece, the little fans in there blah. I could use some advice, thanks.

Here's the generator @ costco
http://m.costco.com/PowerStroke-6,800W- ... reId=10301

Or

http://www.costco.com/PowerStroke-6%2C8 ... 01&refine=
Last edited by eshadeol on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defy the vortex -of mediocre-second rate bass- produced by mongrels- devoid of taste!
A beautiful lyric from : Maggotron "In Search of a Funky Khan"
4 T60 27" lab15,Omni TB 2 BP102,AutoTubaMCM 10"

DJPhatman

Re: $$ No way HoesAye $$ Honda generator EU models VS costco powerstroke6500

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

I don't believe a single Honda EU model will provide enough power to run the entire rig from.

What is your budget? This will be your ultimate deciding factor.

Are there any other utilities available (like natural gas, propane, water)?

IPR2 7500 requires 1350 Watts @ 120V each,
PLX2502 requires 900 Watts @ 120V each,
PLX3602 require 1380 Watts @ 120V each,
Add a 20% fudge-factor, and you are at 4356 Watts @ 120V. A 4500 to 5000 watt genny should handle everything, but if it craps out on you, you are done.

I would suggest multiple generators. How do you run the rig from AC mains? 120V/20 amp, 240V/30 amp, be specific. This will help you figure out how much generator you will need.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Ryan A

#3 Post by Ryan A »

The Costco generator should have plenty of power, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as quiet as the Honda EU's even though it does have a honda engine. You'd need 2 EU3000's to equal the power and the you'd pay dearly for it, probably 4x as much.

With the setup you have, you can easily drown out the noise from the louder generator anyway.

eshadeol

#4 Post by eshadeol »

quote="DJPhatman"]I don't believe a single Honda EU model will provide enough power to run the entire rig from.

IPR2 7500 requires 1350 Watts @ 120V each,
PLX2502 requires 900 Watts @ 120V each,
PLX3602 require 1380 Watts @ 120V each,
Add a 20% fudge-factor, and you are at 4356 Watts @ 120V. A 4500 to 5000 watt genny should handle everything, but if it craps out on you, you are done.

I would suggest multiple generators. How do you run the rig from AC mains? 120V/20 amp, 240V/30 amp, be specific. This will help you figure out how much generator you will need.[/quote]

1500$ .Would a power conditioner help?not that monster junk maybe Furman. I'm, so adjusted to the cables headphones and other stuff monster Makes , I'm weary of monster corporation.I know it's difficult to say brands around here or mention brand around this website and I'm no fan boy of any brand, but truth totally matters.you guys are so awesome, thank you so much for the replies, it really helps, a lot. I know monster mix heavy duty stuff and I'd rather utilize the professional / commercial items.
Last edited by eshadeol on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defy the vortex -of mediocre-second rate bass- produced by mongrels- devoid of taste!

eshadeol

#5 Post by eshadeol »

Ryan A wrote:The Costco generator should have plenty of power, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as quiet as the Honda EU's even though it does have a honda engine. You'd need 2 EU3000's to equal the power and the you'd pay dearly for it, probably 4x as much.

With the setup you have, you can easily drown out the noise from the louder generator anyway.
alrighty then, what you suggested is probably the way I will go.although I will have to invest in a power conditioner.I don't know what the deal is with inverters / generators, but I think a solid 60 Hertz output from the generator should suffice. with power conditioner of course.

CoronaOperator

#6 Post by CoronaOperator »

That's the problem with construction generators, the voltage and frequency will vary as the load does as well as they produce higher frequency harmonics that can create all sorts of buzzing noises. The Honda generators use an inverter and don't have any of these problems, although the inverter generators do cost more.

I'd rent one first (construction generator) to see if it gives you any problems. They are cheap for a reason.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

LelandCrooks

#7 Post by LelandCrooks »

Especially with digital amplifiers.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

bitSmasher

#8 Post by bitSmasher »

Eeek, we really need someone with experience and education to step in here!

I've read plenty about generators in passing, not enough to advise...
But can say that things like multiple generators, the difference between inverter and direct drive, and the different amp types will all account for big differences in performance

If you risk killing gear or yourself, it's best to get the right advice.

gdougherty

#9 Post by gdougherty »

I've run my OT12/T48 rig and monitors off the 30 amp plug on an eu3000 with no problems. For your backyard party and not excessive volume levels it should do fine. Round here I can rent an eu3000 and eu6500. They're pricey but worth every penny.

y2kindyz

#10 Post by y2kindyz »

Ok Guys,
I sell generators for RV, and contractors. The easiest way to check required power is to look on the amp, lights, ect. and see how many amps they require. Add the amps up and multiply by 120v. That gives you a Max Watt requirement as far as usage goes. The total amp draw that the units will require to run at full load is the number you need. Don't get stuck on the max watt rating.

Look at the genset you are interested in and look at how many amps it can handle. The Max watts is a fudge and is misleading. Generators will surge to that # but not be able to sustain that wattage for long periods with out damaging generator. If the generator does not give amp rating. Take the RMS watts and divide by 120v that will give amps.

Now that being said the chances of you running to that limit with your rig are not likely. A number that you will be able to get by with is about 85% your max. Remember having more power is always a plus.

Now to invert or not to invert. Conventional generators produce AC current and are prone to spikes due to loads being placed on generator and the governor having to compensate for that load. IE. Generator running at 80% and another load is plugged in or taken away. If the load is plugged in the engine will drop in rpm and the governor will respond and maintain needed rpm. Mechanical governor systems on cheap, noisy gensets will over compensate and rpm will go pasted required RPM. Resulting in a surge or possible spike in voltage and Hertz. Load being removed will raise RPM before governor will react and a surge will occur as well. Most components wont be bothered by this, but I am sure digital amps are more sensitive.

A inverter type generator produces DC current and the inverter makes it into clean AC current. DC current is produced as needed for the inverter. That is why the RPM on a inverter generator is low when a small load is placed on it and goes up as a load in placed on generator.

This also is why non inverter generators are so loud. That have to tun at 3600 rpm to maintain 120V @ 60Hertz

Honda EU series are great and can be coupled for more power. I hope this helps.

Oscar

Grant Bunter

#11 Post by Grant Bunter »

I don't know what you guys call a "contractor" genny.

50% of my gigs are on a genny, being in outback Australia off grid.
I only run my old iron amps on this, but also my laptop and :fingers: that hasn't been a problem to date.

I ended up buying:
http://www.dunlite.com.au/store/viewIte ... roduct=859

If you use a couple of incandescent lights or older style halogen for the DJ booth, you present your genny with a minimum load at all times, this certainly stops my genny from cycling as much.

Sure it's good to go more power than you need, but if you're not running up to an 80% load, you will get internal glazing on the motor, not good. Easy to fix though, manually increase the revs for 5 minutes when you're done and the glazing will burn off.

Check out the specs on the furmann, or any conditioner. They usually only tolerate +/- 5% of rated AC voltage to work properly, so are pretty much worthless for genny's, or any given situation really. Throw the savings you would have by not buying the power conditioner at a larger genny...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

y2kindyz

#12 Post by y2kindyz »

Grant Bunter wrote:I don't know what you guys call a "contractor" genny.
Grant your generators has a great Honda engine. On the gen side it looks a little weaker but as long as you don't run it at its limits constantly it will provide great service for many years. Most contractors run these units to their max and burn up the generator end

By "contractor" Genny i am referring to most high speed generators available at box stores. They are cheap low cost generators that work well for a while but usually dont last in daily use for more than 6 months or a year. There are Heavy Duty generators available that are high speed an can produce clean reliable power, but most are higher priced.

Also, more frequent maintanence is required with high speed generators. I would recommend oil change at 20-50 hrs and checking oil at every start up and fueling.

eshadeol

#13 Post by eshadeol »

Significantly useful information from all you guys, special thanks to all who've replied. Sounds like the honda generator might be the only way to go. 2 eu7000is at 4000.00$ is $8K! OUCH. That's 1/3 what I'll owe on a truck I'm paying for. Maybe just rental since I will only have to monitor fuel, oil, grounding. If I left them in the truck bed while in operation (on) engines running instead of unloading and trying to ground the genny's to where the old home has a ground rod in the rear of the house, ... I'll just download the manual on the Honda eu7000is.
Once again, thanks.

eshadeol

#14 Post by eshadeol »

[quote="DJPhatman"]I don't believe a single Honda EU model will provide enough power to run the entire rig from.

whoops there are utilities / water/ gas /electricity lines /phone - data. 120 volt only use. Even though one uncle who lives there has certification in welding and (pipe dreams of continuing welding) , although no energy for him or $. Anyways I'll figure out a way, it might be best to pay the electricity company month to month.