Loud amp fan(s)

Is this amp OK?
jimbo7

Loud amp fan(s)

#1 Post by jimbo7 »

I have a Gemini XGA-3000 that is louder than my other amps and desktop pc combined. The manual says the fan speed is temp controlled, but I think it's just running full blast. The gains are set at ~2:30 and never clipped/overheated. The amp functions perfectly, I'm just annoyed by the noise.

My question is: Could the thermistor (if it has one) be shot (I've had that problem before), or could I replace the fans with quieter higher quality one?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

DJPhatman

Re: Loud amp fan(s)

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

jimbo7 wrote:Gemini
<<<< This is why. The noise is most likely a cheap fan, so switching it for a newer, quieter fan should solve the noise issue.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJPhatman wrote:
jimbo7 wrote:Gemini
<<<< This is why. The noise is most likely a cheap fan, so switching it for a newer, quieter fan should solve the noise issue.
+1. If you look at different fans you'll see they're rated for both CFM and dBs. Better fans have more of the former with less of the latter.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

By and large, the noise in a fan in an amp is directly related to it's speed in RPM (and a consequent noise level in dB), correlating to a flow in cubic feet (or litres) per minute, in order to provide adequate cooling.

If the amps fan is temperature controlled, the hotter the heatsink gets, the faster the fan goes.

I would leave it alone and put up with it.
Or contact Gemini with your concerns.

Sure, you could open the amp up, read info on the sticker on the fan, search that, get a CFM figure, and try to find another fan that does the same CFM but at lower dB and go from there, but it's more expense.

Is there another amp next to it?
If so, do the two different amps fans run in opposite directions ie front to back and back to front, meaning the Gemini is always hot?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

jimbo7

#5 Post by jimbo7 »

I know it's a Gemini (gasp!), but I got it dirt cheap and it's for my SLA's.
All amps flow front to rear and it's not hot at all. Just sounds like the fans are running at full speed.
Thanks for the aerodynamics lesson, Grant.

I guess if you can hear the fans, the music's not loud enough :chainsaw:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

SeisTres

#6 Post by SeisTres »

Seems like you're using a Pro sound amp to run a home system. I would just pick up a home amp to run the home system instead of having to deal with fans speakons for home systems. I use two of these for my 2.1 system http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... e--300-385

I'm using the jbl loft40 which are way less efficient than full sla's, and even like this, they are enough for what I need them to do.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

escapemcp

#7 Post by escapemcp »

The fans of my iNukes barely revolve (30rpm maybe). I think this is from them
a) being cheap
b) being nasty
& c) Sucking up loads of dust from various outdoor parties.

Despite them barely revolving, the amps still run cool, even after a hammering! I can't open up the case to replace them, or I lose the 3 year warranty! I guess this will find out how good those iNukes really are... if they blow, I'll get a new one :)

If the warranty is up on the Gemini amp, then I'd replace the fan if I were you. £15 for a decent quiet fan is hardly a massive expense for a higher S/N ratio! :)