High powered amp with DR200s?

Is this amp OK?
DJ Higgumz

High powered amp with DR200s?

#1 Post by DJ Higgumz »

I am looking at a Lab Gruppen clone FP10000Q amp, and its rated at 1350w @ 8 ohms per channel, 4 channels total and 2x 5000 watts bridged @ 4 ohms. That nets me 2x183v of power, meaning I could run 4 16 ohm T60 duallies off of one bridge, and 6 Dr200s off of the other 2 non bridge in a 30lb 2u amp. Obviously those 200s won't barely sip that power am I correct? Would I have any issues controlling the volume with such a hot amp? It says it has selectable voltage gain settings, I assume the dip switches are for that and they aren't talking about the volume knobs.

On a second note, Will I trip breakers with this kind of power, and would I have the 3 phase stove type plugs in venues of that size available? Would I be better off with 2+ smaller amps ran on separate 20 amp circuits?
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

DJPhatman

Re: High powered amp with DR200s?

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Running ANY amp at 4 Ohms bridged is as bad, or worse, than running it at 2 Ohms per channel. This means high heat output. And heat shortens the life of electronics. I, personally, won't do it except when absolutely necessary. And, why not run 2 series-wired T60s, in parallel, on each channel? At the claimed power, it will output over 100V at 8 Ohms, with headroom, which is the hard limit for Lab 12s series wired.
DJ Higgumz wrote:Lab Gruppen clone FP10000Q amp
This tells me it is most likely a chinese rip-off, and will not have anywhere near the build quality of a real Lab Gruppen. You are investing all this time and money to develop a system that will absolutely devastate anywhere but the largest stadiums, and now you are going to "cheap-out" on the amps? Have you learned nothing on here, and your own experiences? Buy once, cry once. Spend the extra $$$ now for a known high quality amplifier capable of outputting enough voltage swing to your cabinets.

For the DR200s, the mid-tops don't require as much power to get loud, but running 3 per side of an amp will not allow for power-shading, making your 3 high array a lot less effective.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

DJ Higgumz

#3 Post by DJ Higgumz »

They are Chinese rip offs, but they are not cheaply built. There have been extensive testing along with a large thread on these particular amps. And yes I could run them at 8 ohms that was a brain fart on my part. I would run the 200s with the top 4 wired parallel-series, then the bottom two parallel to allow shading
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

sine143

#4 Post by sine143 »

way overkill.

you will trip breakers 20 amp breakers

The only person who can tell you if you'll have access to 3 phase power (for distro purposes) is you or the venue owner.

only 1 venue in town has 3phase readily available in my parts.

also, you can run 6 series wired (inside box) dual t60 in parallel PER SIDE of that amp.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

byacey

#5 Post by byacey »

20A x 120V= 2400 Watts. Subtract 10% for amp inefficiencies and you're down to about 2160W of output when the 20A breaker flips.

Most range plugs I've ever seen are 2 legs of single phase @ 40A, yielding about 9600 watts.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If you're going to power a lot of DR200s with one amp build them with 16 ohm Delta Pro 8Bs.

gdougherty

#7 Post by gdougherty »

I'm a fan of lightweight amp racks, but I'm also a fan of redundancy. I have a pair of sub amps so ideally I run everything 1:1 on its own channel. Given a failure or some other redeployment need I can link everything and use a single amp, albeit with reduced output capability, but the show will go on.

Relying on one single large amp that may give you power headaches is not the route I'd go. I'd rather have two large amps that can coast along most of the time without generating massive amounts of amp killing heat.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

gdougherty wrote: I'd rather have two large amps that can coast along most of the time without generating massive amounts of amp killing heat.

+1

When I recently added two more subs, I considered going to a single, more powerful amp. But, after considering the possibilities, I ended up just adding one more of the same amp - bringing it to three sub amps to run 6 boxes. While I can't double up if I drop an amp (running 'em all bridged), I'll at least have two-thirds of my subs still running. And anytime I'm running less than 6, I have a full amp on reserve. Yesterday, I only used one of the three. The redundancy is a nice feeling.

Plus, I carry an extra amp for a little more redundancy on the mains or monitors. At the price of the lightweight amps nowadays, it's just silly to be caught short.....and it will happen...not if, but when.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."