Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP vs old Tapco J800

Is this amp OK?
Curtybob

Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP vs old Tapco J800

#1 Post by Curtybob »

I just had a band gig last night where I had to substitute an amp (also had a DJ gig). I was impressed. I have an old Tapco J800 from my old bass guitar rack. I had to run it in bridged mode, but it sounded bigger than the Behringer does. The sensitivity was a little less... I had to turn the input gain on my mains amp down a bit, and had the fader on my board up a bit from normal. But it actually sounded great with 2 24" T39's (crossed at 95, HP @ 45).

During the last few months, I have played around with the NU3000DSP and found that 53V is all it will output with a sine wave input. But, the red clip light will light up as soon as 28V with a good gain structure. Because I am paranoid about red lights, I generally stay under that limit by feathering the main faders depending on that light. Still, that's usually plenty loud in a bar setting.

But the Tapco did good last night. I guess the thing I want to ask is, how do you set the limiters up for a bridged amp? Is there any difference? Do the same voltage limits apply? I did a quick set up last night and saw that the Tapco lit up the OL light at about 55-56V. So I limited it to 50, and really only saw 38 a few times during breaks (playing some dance tunes off of the iPad REALLY LOUDLY) with my crappy DMM.

escapemcp

Re: Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP vs old Tapco J800

#2 Post by escapemcp »

Once bridged, you'd set up the amp like any other.... voltmeter, sinewave, adjust limiter, 50V... done. :)