Behringer EP2000 - One Channel Stopped Working

Is this amp OK?
KTOKTO

Behringer EP2000 - One Channel Stopped Working

#1 Post by KTOKTO »

Hello, I have been using a behringer EP2000 to power two 4 ohm subwoofers for a few years but ran in to a problem at our last gig.

The right channel is dead, Neither the XLR or 1/4" input works. The signal LED on the front does not light up at all.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things on what I need to look at or if I am SOL.

Thank you for the help!

Grant Bunter

Re: Behringer EP2000 - One Channel Stopped Working

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Pop the lid and see if there is a internal fuse that has blown.
It may be the fix, but that fuse has blown for a reason.
Also check to see if any of the ribbon cables have become dislodged.
Look for blackened/burnt components as well

If you have no experience with fixing anything electronic or find any of the above, send it to a repair guy.
Though the bill might be more expensive than a new amp if it's out of warranty...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Ryan A

#3 Post by Ryan A »

The switch didn't inadvertently get changed to mono bridge mode, did it?

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ryan A wrote:The switch didn't inadvertently get changed to mono bridge mode, did it?
err mono bridge is both sides of the amp working for one output isn't it?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Ryan A

#5 Post by Ryan A »

Nope, not on all amps. I can't speak for the Berry though

David Raehn

#6 Post by David Raehn »

Sometimes there's an 'input' mono that normalizes both channels to one input..... But I digress: Look for the fuse to replace or circuit breaker to reset. Scour the internet for anyone else having a similar problem.

I just got done putting one of my SRM450s back together. It gave out during power-up at my last show. It's a first generation model but actually contains components added before the V2 came out. It's hard to believe a pair of 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistors on the op-amp power supply rails will kill the whole thing dead. :wall:

But now I'm all :hyper: .
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

KTOKTO

#7 Post by KTOKTO »

Thank you very much for the replies. The dips switches are cool. I will pop the top and see what I find.

byacey

#8 Post by byacey »

draehn wrote:
I just got done putting one of my SRM450s back together. It gave out during power-up at my last show. It's a first generation model but actually contains components added before the V2 came out. It's hard to believe a pair of 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistors on the op-amp power supply rails will kill the whole thing dead.
Some older gear used such resistors as a fuse of sorts, although you don't see it as much anymore. The old Soundcraft 200 mixers used such resistors on every channel strip, and it's a good thing they did. Often those resistors would be found burned, effectively isolating the defective channel, while the remaining channels kept working.

Those EP series amps aren't fun to work on. Even with a schematic, it's a lot of hunting around on the PC boards trying to find parts. They use many surface mount components, while the silkscreen labeling is done with a microscopic size font. If you don't have a schematic, it's near impossible to troubleshoot properly.

On many older amps with full size components, sometimes an output transistor would fail and pop the line fuse; if you were lucky, upon replacing the transistor and fuse and maybe an emitter resistor, you were back in business. The regular through-hole components were more robust and stood up to some short term abuse. Not so with surface mount components; they are prone to domino effect failure because they don't tolerate working outside of their rated specs. I've fixed a number of these EP amps, and often components you would least suspect as being affected by the initial cause of the failure would change value, or fail altogether.

Unfortunately Behringer makes it very difficult to obtain schematics for their equipment. A friend of mine is an "approved warranty depot??" for their product, and even he has trouble getting service info. I can only guess this is because they don't view their gear as being repairable, or if it can be repaired, not cost effective to do so. It's this philosophy that is overflowing our landfill sites with toss-away electronic equipment. I try not to support companies like this.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212