JB Systems 200.2 power amp

Is this amp OK?
Jools4001

JB Systems 200.2 power amp

#1 Post by Jools4001 »

Has anyone got any experience with these amps? They come from the same distributor as the Synq amps, which seem to get pretty good reviews around here. From the manual they appear to have a very similar rear panel to the Synqs and may well share some DNA?

http://www.terralec.co.uk/power_amplifi ... 861_p.html

They are 1U, lightweight, a reasonable price and on the face of it, with 200 wpc @ 4 ohms, 130 @ 8 ohms they seem like the ideal power rating to hang a single W8 onto each channel to give me 2 separate vocal mixes. I know W8s don't need 130 watts, but since my W8s are 16 ohm versions they won't be getting it either, I'd expect the amp to give approx 65 watts into 16 ohms which should be a pretty good match and as much as you'll ever need for W8s.

But, the amp is an unknown quantity and although reasonably priced, it's still more money than you'd want to spend if it's not up to scratch.
2 x 3012 HO Jack 12 Lites
2 x Delta Pro 8b Wedgehorn 8 Monitors
Subs? Big question mark!

Grant Bunter

Re: JB Systems 200.2 power amp

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

It can be difficult to work out where such amps come from.

One thing that is good is it doesn't look anything like the amps branded JB sounds but which I presume are clones made in China (aliexpress.com) which look to have made it to South Africa.

It's 110 quid cheaper than the lowest price Crown XLS 1000 that I can find new on e-bay.co.uk
and while it's (just) a tad heavier, I can see the 1RU sizing being appealing.
I know the Crown XLS 1000 works well with WH8's, as it's what I'm using.

It's light, 1RU, has a peak limiter and adjustable input sensitivity, so looks pretty good there.

Check it out with terralek.
If warranty is good (like a couple of years) and they are prepared to tell you where the amps are made (or point you to a "proper website"), it might be worth a bite.

Is Terralek far from you?
Seems they demo in store...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

It looks really similar to amps that GTD is selling in the US. All of them are cheap chinese products, but if it's anything like the GTD, it's decent for the money. They sound like crap when they clip, but they work as advertised.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

byacey

#4 Post by byacey »

I would be hesitant to purchase anything unless the distributor can provide a service manual, or at the very least, a schematic. Without this, it's potentially a throw away device when it fails; also, any reputable product will have some sort of warranty service depots. Ask them where their service depots are located. If the distributor can't provide this info, run the opposite direction.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

byacey wrote:I would be hesitant to purchase anything unless the distributor can provide a service manual, or at the very least, a schematic. Without this, it's potentially a throw away device when it fails; also, any reputable product will have some sort of warranty service depots. Ask them where their service depots are located. If the distributor can't provide this info, run the opposite direction.
I don't know of many newer electronics for which service manuals or schematics can be obtained any more. If you can't do the work yourself, at the price of these amps, they ARE throwaway. Heck, half the time there aren't any service depots, they're just replaced when they fail.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

As it turns out, more investigation shows that the Asia Pacific distributor is also the "dealer" one finds on the aliexpress site.

So the ones found there are probably not clones at all.
They are designed in Belgium, MIC by the looks of it. Doesn't mean they are bad though.

www.beglec.com is the owner...
Built:

byacey

#7 Post by byacey »

Pretty much all reputable manufacturers like QSC, Peavey, KT, Yamaha, etc. have service info available; I would be suspicious of any any company that can't provide this info upon request. If the product wasn't meant to ever be serviced, it's questionable how well designed the product is for quality and longevity.

Honestly, do they design the product and then throw away the plans?

Edit: This is just my personal view. I wouldn't consider purchasing questionable product for customers or my own use; it doesn't seem like a wise investment.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

I've found these days you can get schematics if you ask nicely from their service departments.
Much easier when the amp is "obsolete"...
Built:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

byacey wrote:Honestly, do they design the product and then throw away the plans?
If they sourced the product then they never had the plans to begin with. That's probably the case here.
It looks really similar to amps that GTD is selling in the US
That also points to it being sourced. A factory in China offers the amp with the graphics of your choice, so you may find the same innards offered under a half dozen brand names.

byacey

#10 Post by byacey »

That could well be. It's probably a similar situation like some of Behringers amps being a clone of the QSC models, sharing the exact same circuit.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

byacey wrote: It's probably a similar situation like some of Behringers amps being a clone of the QSC models.
They aren't, the resemblance is purely cosmetic. Open them up and the difference is clear. OTOH the Behringer factory is itself a source, so you can find Behringer innards inside of off-brand cases, which makes those a knock-off of a knock-off.

byacey

#12 Post by byacey »

I'm not sure about more recent models, but a Behringer EP1500 is the identical circuit to a QSC RMX 1450; the schematics are virtually interchangeable. The only difference is Behringer utilized cheaper components that aren't as a robust as the QSC offering.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Jools4001

#13 Post by Jools4001 »

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.

I came across these because I was following up on the Synq stuff, which seem to be well regarded on this site, most notably by PulseMan. Begelec are the common thread between JB and Synq: and Terralec are the UK supplier for both brands.

I have a Crown XLS1000 in my bass rig, so I suppose I could go the extra mile and get another one...but on the other hand...it's really overkill for my need to run one W8 per channel, and how would anybody have known that Synq amps would be a worthwhile purchase unless somebody had been brave enough to ski off-piste?

A fiendish plot is forming to chip in a few extra quid and get a Synq DIG1K0, use that for my bass rig and repurpose the Crown for monitors...otherwise I might just take a punt on the JB.

I know I'd just be getting a generic Chinese amp, and that it would be a throwaway but it might be worth taking a risk on...after all the 15Kg 'no name' 300wpc power amp that I bought 15 years ago when money was really tight is still going strong...

Hmmmm...<retreats to do more chin scratching>
2 x 3012 HO Jack 12 Lites
2 x Delta Pro 8b Wedgehorn 8 Monitors
Subs? Big question mark!

escapemcp

#14 Post by escapemcp »

Jools4001 wrote:Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.

I came across these because I was following up on the Synq stuff, which seem to be well regarded on this site, most notably by PulseMan. Begelec are the common thread between JB and Synq: and Terralec are the UK supplier for both brands.

I have a Crown XLS1000 in my bass rig, so I suppose I could go the extra mile and get another one...but on the other hand...it's really overkill for my need to run one W8 per channel, and how would anybody have known that Synq amps would be a worthwhile purchase unless somebody had been brave enough to ski off-piste?

A fiendish plot is forming to chip in a few extra quid and get a Synq DIG1K0, use that for my bass rig and repurpose the Crown for monitors...otherwise I might just take a punt on the JB.

I know I'd just be getting a generic Chinese amp, and that it would be a throwaway but it might be worth taking a risk on...after all the 15Kg 'no name' 300wpc power amp that I bought 15 years ago when money was really tight is still going strong...

Hmmmm...<retreats to do more chin scratching>
I like your style, rather than just going straight to the crown/qsc option. :)

byacey

#15 Post by byacey »

I take a pragmatic view of this sort of thing. Because my audio background is from a production standpoint, reliability and serviceability are the most important factors in choosing a product. Failure at an event doesn't look good in the eyes of the promoter. If something goes horribly wrong and my speakers suffer damage due to amp failure, I want to be able to go back to the manufacturer looking for support and a possible solution to avoid another similar incident.

However, a hobbyist would have different priorities; the bottom line is usually money, and reliability isn't that big a factor. If the system eventually crashes at a backyard party, no harm done; just buy another amp and the party goes on.

The buy once - cry once adage applies to electronic equipment too. Unfortunately because of the way electronics is constructed, the average end user can only rely on marketing hype and anecdotal experience from other users of the product in choosing what to purchase.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212