Banana Plug 4 ohm load

Is this amp OK?
Bruce Weldy

Re: Banana Plug 4 ohm load

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote:All right, time to quit monkeying around!)

Hey, we were talking about bananas, not orangeautans.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#17 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

djtrumptight wrote:If i plug one 8 ohm speaker into an amp via banana plug then plug another 8 ohm loaded speaker banana plug into the first banana plug would that produce a 4 ohm parallel load ?
Don't use banana plugs. They're prone to falling out, and if you mess up the polarity when plugging them in the two speakers will cancel each other. Only use Speakons, and if your amp doesn't have them put a Speakon panel on the back of your amp rack, wired to the amp. That also allows you to wire the sub channel to pins 1+1-, the tops channel to pins 2+2-, so you'll never plug the wrong cab into an amp channel no matter how hard you try to.

byacey

#18 Post by byacey »

This is an excellent idea and I considered doing this for myself, but it would mean switching all my speaker cables to 4 conductor cable, or marking my cables for specific purposes, depending if they are wired pair 1 or pair 2.

Presently I just color code the ends of the cables, red for subs, yellow for M/H, green for monitor mix 1, brown for mix 2, etc.. This works, and still enables me to use the cables for other purposes should the need arise.

The 4 conductor is still a foolproof better way of setting up the cabling, albeit at a higher initial expense.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

djtrumptight

#19 Post by djtrumptight »

Don't use banana plugs. They're prone to falling out, and if you mess up the polarity when plugging them in the two speakers will cancel each other. Only use Speakons, and if your amp doesn't have them put a Speakon panel on the back of your amp rack, wired to the amp. That also allows you to wire the sub channel to pins 1+1-, the tops channel to pins 2+2-, so you'll never plug the wrong cab into an amp channel no matter how hard you try to.

Thats my next plan,i already have the panel for my signal in with XLR's and speakon outlets for both amps,i went to buy a 8 space SKB rack from a guy that would allow me enough space to add my current set up and the new lightweight amp i will be buying soon all in one lightweight rack.Although im the only one that sets my equipment up,im still gonna label everything as input,subs out,tops out.

As far as the jokes... :lol:
Built:
2 Autotuba's MCM 55 2421
8 T48's 24"wide 3015 LF
2 DR 250's melded Deltalite II 2510
2 DR 250's flat Deltalite II 2510
2 SLA HT systems
1 Table Tuba Dayton DCS 255-4
2 T 39's 20" wide 3012 LF
1 T-18 13" wide MCM 55 2421
2 SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I run bananas from the amp to the rack panel, then speakon from there. I put the bananas through the hole in the binding posts, then screw the nuts down on them....they ain't going anywhere.

But, I would never, ever use a speaker cable with a banana on one end that gets used over and over. Bananas are only for a permanent install in the rack.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."