Opinions on DSP class D, buy old model or new?

Is this amp OK?
hotrod79

Opinions on DSP class D, buy old model or new?

#1 Post by hotrod79 »

As a lot people experience, my work is going a direction that I would never have thought a few years back. I am gathering a small, powerful system but in a 'minimalist' sort of way. I am replacing 2 amps and a Driverack+ with 1 quality lightweight amp with DSP.
After years and years when quantity was more important then quality, I finally am at the point where a quality system hauled in an SUV is preferable compared to a 5x12 cargo trailer stuffed to the roof.
Anyway, 1 DSP amp getting a mono signal, one channel driving 2- 3010 loaded t24's and the other channel driving 2- MRX512's.
After talking to Sweetwater today, they PROMISE the IPR2's will ship the first week of March. Along with that the Crest 3.0 dsp will be available. I am heavily leaning twords the crest, it is said to be an IPR with beefier power supply section.
So, it's narrowed down to 3 options as I see it:
1) purchase the Crest 3.0 DSP when available for roughly $679
2) purchase the Peavey IPR2 3000DSP when available for roughly $599
3) purchase an NOS 1st gen IPR 3000DSP for roughly $375

Thoughts?
2- Jack 10's
(Sold) 4- Tuba 24's @17" KL3010LF
(Sold) 2- Tuba 30's @26" KL3012LF

dswpro

Re: Opinions on DSP class D, buy old model or new?

#2 Post by dswpro »

I have 2 original IPR3000 (non DSP) and could not be happier with them. Crest has great reputation, from what I hear the Peavey and the Crest are similar if not identical. I would not want to rely on one amp for any gig, however. Redundant hardware saves me from having to panic or drive out for more at the last minute.

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

dswpro wrote:I have 2 original IPR3000 (non DSP) and could not be happier with them. Crest has great reputation, from what I hear the Peavey and the Crest are similar if not identical. I would not want to rely on one amp for any gig, however.
+1. The IPR original series amps are great. The only problem I've ever had (and I have 8 of them...) was a diode that popped when the amp was inadvertently connected to my friend whilst playing a 1khz tone at (way over) max power.

From what my equipment rep tells me, the difference in power supply between the Peavey and Crest is mainly so they can say they have a difference in power supply. It won't actually make much of a difference. If you can get the original series at that price, go for it.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

hotrod79

#4 Post by hotrod79 »

I carry a first gen IPR1600 (non dsp) as a last ditch backup if the main amp would smoke.

Getting the first gen 3000dsp would cosmetically match... Not that that matters.

I assume the Crest is an IPR... Crest is listed on Peaveys Commercial site.

Hmm...so many options
2- Jack 10's

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

hotrod79 wrote: Getting the first gen 3000dsp would cosmetically match... Not that that matters.
IMHO cosmetics do matter. Those who don't know any better hear with their eyes, and a rack full of matching gear with lots of blinking lights is impressive to the uninitiated.
They are. I believe the only difference is that the Crest Prolites have slightly bigger caps in the power supply. The difference is negligible. Of course, they also say "Crest" on the front instead of "Peavey," so that makes them acceptable on riders. :roll:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

hotrod79

#6 Post by hotrod79 »

BrentEvans wrote:
hotrod79 wrote: Getting the first gen 3000dsp would cosmetically match... Not that that matters.
IMHO cosmetics do matter. Those who don't know any better hear with their eyes, and a rack full of matching gear with lots of blinking lights is impressive to the uninitiated.
They are. I believe the only difference is that the Crest Prolites have slightly bigger caps in the power supply. The difference is negligible. Of course, they also say "Crest" on the front instead of "Peavey," so that makes them acceptable on riders. :roll:
Not to stir the pot, but any opinions on the 2nd gen XTI 2002?
Price point is right in there and I like the binding post option and the signal pass through jacks...
2- Jack 10's

hotrod79

#7 Post by hotrod79 »

Brain lapse there, they all have pass through jacks
2- Jack 10's