Problem with no output on Crown XTI 2002 power amp

Is this amp OK?
Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

Problem with no output on Crown XTI 2002 power amp

#1 Post by Harley »

Yeah, gidday!

I have just connected my relatively new ( 2 years old but never used ) xti 2002 to Bandmanager 2

Input is mono into Ch 1 (Y)

Ch 1 output is going to subs

Ch 2 output is going to mid/high boxes

Output mode is in Dual

In Band manager 2 I have setup the Xover to 135 Hz, i have also setup a hard limit at 35v for both outputs. There are no EQs activated.

The problem is is that I can see the input signal coming in from my desk but cannot see any output signal. When I turn the amp up via the knobs on the front panel there is no sound coming out of the speakers. However, when I go into the input section i can activate the pink noise and it comes out of the speakers.

Also if i crank the input gain right up beyond clipping and turn the channels right up i can hear the sound leaking through the amp.

All mutes, as far as I can see, have been checked to -.

The pink noise works fine so I've got the PA hooked up correctly, I'm assuming I'm missing something on the software setup side of things.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

sine143

Re: Problem with no output on Crown XTI 2002 power amp

#2 Post by sine143 »

does the amp pass audio when set to "dsp off" on the front?
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

Harley.. try System Architect instead of Band Manager. I don't know if there's any difference in interface, but SA has been quite straightforward for me.

As far as the routing goes, there are two places where signal can stop after the attenuators (hard and software) but before the signal generator. There are mute buttons, and input mode. It sounds like you may have the wrong input mode.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

sine143

#4 Post by sine143 »

they've actually made Sys architect legacy now. on to "audio architect". basically the same thing.... (I notice very little difference).
Built:
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
1x bastard XF208

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

On the front panel of BM, are both input and outputs "unmuted"? It seems a little difficult to distinguish. And, I take it that the "mute" on the bottom right is unmuted as well?

On the crossovers, you have selected "independant", yah?

On the EQ input, are the channels bypassed?
TomS

Harley

#6 Post by Harley »

Tom Smit wrote:On the front panel of BM, are both input and outputs "unmuted"? It seems a little difficult to distinguish.
sine143 wrote:does the amp pass audio when set to "dsp off" on the front?
So, are you saying that BandManager 2 doesn't give the same degree of control as the front panel? Do I have to screw around with both to get it working? :chainsaw: Which over-rides the other in that case?
Tom Smit wrote:And, I take it that the "mute" on the bottom right is unmuted as well?
Yes
Tom Smit wrote:On the crossovers, you have selected "independant", yah?
Yes
Tom Smit wrote:On the EQ input, are the channels bypassed?
Can't tell. How do you know that's the case?

sine143

#7 Post by sine143 »

i'm just asking if it passes audio with no dsp settings enabled. If the answer is no, its not band managers fault. I've only ever used System architect (and now audio architect).
Built:
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
1x bastard XF208

BrentEvans

#8 Post by BrentEvans »

Harley wrote: So, are you saying that BandManager 2 doesn't give the same degree of control as the front panel? Do I have to screw around with both to get it working? :chainsaw: Which over-rides the other in that case?
The front panel allows you to recall presets, which must be created in the software, so technically the front panel takes precedence... but only so much as you give it.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

First thing....is #3-x-over selected in "store"? I don't know if this is valid, or not.
Harley wrote:
Tom Smit wrote:On the EQ input, are the channels bypassed?
Can't tell. How do you know that's the case?
Double-click on the "EQ" button. On that page near the top/right are the CH 1 bypass, and CH 2 bypass.

I don't have an XTI so I can't tell if any of this will work. Just trying to guess what may work. :fingers: :oops:
TomS

Titanium Hand

#10 Post by Titanium Hand »

I use System Architect....

Obviously when you open your program, and plug the Amp USB into the 'puter an XTi2002 icon pops up in band manager?

It generally gives you three options, Receive info 'from' Amp, Send info 'to' Amp or Work Offline mode.

I usually enable front panel lockout.

When I double click the amp icon it gives me a 'real time' (synchronised) display of the amp. 4 x level meters. 2 for the input and 2 for the output.

Do you get a similar display? Does said display show that the amp is receiving the signal that you are giving it?
Built 2 x T39 Lab 12 loaded 457mm wide, 29inch Wide Dual Lab 12 Loaded T60 and 2 x OTop 112 2512 Melded. Powered by N.I.TRAKTOR Pro 2.6 (2.6.1 has too many issues) TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 Crown XTi2000

Harley

#11 Post by Harley »

Titanium Hand wrote: Does said display show that the amp is receiving the signal that you are giving it?
Yep...and shows no output signal.
Titanium Hand wrote:It generally gives you three options, Receive info 'from' Amp, Send info 'to' Amp or Work Offline mode.
Nope. It just searches for the device, says it's found and the whole dashboard is then present without any option questioning.
Tom Smit wrote:First thing....is #3-x-over selected in "store"? I don't know if this is valid, or not.
Yep, that was the first one we changed to from BRG SUBS.

I'm away from town for the rest of the week so I'l have to wait until I return to have a good look at stuff.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

This is why I don't own a smart phone. :noob:

Chris_Allen

#13 Post by Chris_Allen »

Factory reset and start again?
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Harley

#14 Post by Harley »

Chris_Allen wrote:Factory reset and start again?
The manual has no reference to 'Reset' or 'Factory reset'. It just mentions 'Presets' :(

Rich4349

#15 Post by Rich4349 »

Harley wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 am
Tom Smit wrote:On the front panel of BM, are both input and outputs "unmuted"? It seems a little difficult to distinguish.
sine143 wrote:does the amp pass audio when set to "dsp off" on the front?
So, are you saying that BandManager 2 doesn't give the same degree of control as the front panel? Do I have to screw around with both to get it working? :chainsaw: Which over-rides the other in that case?
Yes, the front display controls CAN and did override my System Architect settings. I had "lost" channel 2 after using my XTi at a gig last weekend, and dug through a lot of old posts to find this hint of a solution. (But, of course, only AFTER removing the amp from the rack, removing the cover, unplugging and re-plugging in the display ribbon cable! :shock: :wall: )

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!