Experiment with a Crown XLS1500

Is this amp OK?
yigba

Re: Experiment with a Crown XLS1500

#31 Post by yigba »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Then, if the voltage was achieved by the amp in stereo mode was exactly the same as that in bridge mode the sub would indeed sound louder in bridge mode up until the limiter engaged - after that it will be exactly the same.
That's what I couldn't wrap my head around. Therefore I'll bridge and limit.
Bruce Weldy wrote:As an aside......you did check voltage across both red terminals when testing in bridge mode, right? Not the red and black like in stereo?
Yes.

yigba

#32 Post by yigba »

byacey wrote:The input however, will be 6db more sensitive, if that's what you mean.
Which would be the reason why the bridged amp is louder!!!!

Thank you everyone for excusing my ignorance and helping me understand this.

byacey

#33 Post by byacey »

Actually the reason for it being louder is because the input stage is now driving two power amplifiers out of phase with each other. This doubles the voltage swing, or from an input sensitivity perspective, a 6db increase in sensitivity.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Bruce Weldy

#34 Post by Bruce Weldy »

byacey wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Then, if the voltage was achieved by the amp in stereo mode was exactly the same as that in bridge mode the sub would indeed sound louder in bridge mode up until the limiter engaged - after that it will be exactly the same.

As an aside......you did check voltage across both red terminals when testing in bridge mode, right? Not the red and black like in stereo?
I don't follow what you are trying to say; 25 V out in bridge mode will sound just as loud as 25V out in stereo mode. The input however, will be 6db more sensitive, if that's what you mean.

Good point on measuring between the + binding posts.
I wasn't talking about voltage in that case. With everything else equal prior to hitting the amp, bridge mode will be louder. Once the limiter kicks in ensuring equal voltage, the volume will be the same.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

byacey

#35 Post by byacey »

That's correct, the sensitivity is increased by about 6db when put in bridge mode.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212