Peavey IPR2 with 2 ohm load

Is this amp OK?
Curtybob

Peavey IPR2 with 2 ohm load

#1 Post by Curtybob »

I am contemplating grabbing one of the IPR2 amps to try out. How do they hold up if you had to run 4 t39's per side in an emergency? I was thinking about grabbing the IPR2 5000. Basically, I had one of my Behringer nu3000dsp's pop yesterday. I figured I could grab one of these to replace it, and if I like it, replace my 4 nu3000dsp's (now only 3) with them. IF they work out, I'd love some insight on how they might hold up if a one sub amp goes down and I'd need to run all of the subs on one amp. I plan to keep the Behringers as spares, but I'd still like to know. Should I pony up and get the 7500? If so, would that be stable enough to actually plan on running 8 lab12 loaded T39's on one amp?

sine143

Re: Peavey IPR2 with 2 ohm load

#2 Post by sine143 »

biggest issue I see is adequate power supply for the amp itself. Its fitted with a 15 amp IEC connector.

If you happen to play a track with heavy low freq content and low crest factor, you are going to be popping even 20 amp breakers with 6 to 8 t39s on a single ipr5k.

I can pop 20 amp breakers with 6 t48 and an xti 4k.

Benefit is at least it has a resetable fuse on the back (have to have crown give me the old 20 day button push when it happens to me).
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

escapemcp

#3 Post by escapemcp »

Curtybob wrote:Basically, I had one of my Behringer nu3000dsp's pop yesterday.
:( :( :(
Can you please provide info on how it happened (what you had attached etc). I've got a couple of these so would be very interested to know.
Thanks,
Aidan

Ryan A

#4 Post by Ryan A »

FWIW I have T39's running on an IPR1600 with a 2 ohm nominal driver (+ horn load) and it runs fine no problem even into the DDT.

Once tried the two subs in parallel for a 1 ohm load just to see if it would work, that's when it cut out momentarily. It would cut out for a few seconds then come back right away.

Curtybob

#5 Post by Curtybob »

escapemcp wrote:
Can you please provide info on how it happened (what you had attached etc). I've got a couple of these so would be very interested to know.
Thanks,
Aidan
My band had gigs on both nights this weekend. I usually keep 2 nu3000dsp's in the gig rack. On the amp that cookered itself, I had a single T39 on each side, crossed at 95 Hz, and limited at 50V. It seemed to be running fine. We went to break and the bar wanted to play some music on their jukebox that I didn't have on my iPad. When we came back, I noticed the amp was powered down, and then noticed that the power button was still pressed in. It powered back up when I cycled it, but there was no sound.

Pretty anti-climactic end. Luckily, That was one of two I purchased from Sweetwater. They are on it. I am considering offloading two of them and grabbing the IPR2 5000... and then maybe a second one a little closer to outside gig season. I think these Behringers are great, and the DSP is very effective. But, I will admit that I have had problems getting them up over 53 V. I usually just limit them all to 50V (for sub duty... 40 for mains duty) so they aren't full on all the time.

escapemcp

#6 Post by escapemcp »

Curtybob wrote:
escapemcp wrote:
Thanks,
Aidan
My band had gigs on both nights this weekend. I usually keep 2 nu3000dsp's in the gig rack. On the amp that cookered itself, I had a single T39 on each side, crossed at 95 Hz, and limited at 50V. It seemed to be running fine. We went to break and the bar wanted to play some music on their jukebox that I didn't have on my iPad. When we came back, I noticed the amp was powered down, and then noticed that the power button was still pressed in. It powered back up when I cycled it, but there was no sound.

Pretty anti-climactic end. Luckily, That was one of two I purchased from Sweetwater. They are on it. I am considering offloading two of them and grabbing the IPR2 5000... and then maybe a second one a little closer to outside gig season. I think these Behringers are great, and the DSP is very effective. But, I will admit that I have had problems getting them up over 53 V. I usually just limit them all to 50V (for sub duty... 40 for mains duty) so they aren't full on all the time.
Thanks for the info. The 53V figure sounds familiar - I think my amp hit it's limit (not -er) there. I am glad that I ended up brand new amps after I had a B stock one that blew up. The 3 year warranty that comes with the new units is mighty handy to have :)

netwerks

#7 Post by netwerks »

Curtybob wrote:I am contemplating grabbing one of the IPR2 amps to try out. How do they hold up if you had to run 4 t39's per side in an emergency? I was thinking about grabbing the IPR2 5000. Basically, I had one of my Behringer nu3000dsp's pop yesterday. I figured I could grab one of these to replace it, and if I like it, replace my 4 nu3000dsp's (now only 3) with them. IF they work out, I'd love some insight on how they might hold up if a one sub amp goes down and I'd need to run all of the subs on one amp. I plan to keep the Behringers as spares, but I'd still like to know. Should I pony up and get the 7500? If so, would that be stable enough to actually plan on running 8 lab12 loaded T39's on one amp?
IPR3000 is plenty enough. A few users here with this config if you do a search.