Single amp for tuba 30 and Otops

Is this amp OK?
y2kindyz

Single amp for tuba 30 and Otops

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Hey guys,
I am finishing up my tuba 30's and Otops for my bro-in-law and he is wanting a single amp to run subs and tops. What do you guys think would be a good fit? He currently only has a dj mixer denon mc3000. Will he need something like a drive rack px or can he use an amp with a limiter like the crown xti series? How much power will be enough if he plans to add subs and tops later for a total of 4 tops and subs?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

sine143

Re: Single amp for tuba 30 and Otops

#2 Post by sine143 »

the xti 2002 will be enough.

the inuke dsp 3000 will also do it.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks for the reply sine. Will that be able to handle all 4 in the future? Are the limiters enough in the amp or should I tell him to get a signal processor like a DriveRack PX?

sine143

#4 Post by sine143 »

the limiters in the xti2 are spot on. I've no experience with the inuke, although I cant imagine the limiters on the px being advantageous. Just dont get an original xti.

if he plans to add 2 more tops and subs, I wholeheartedly recommend getting another amp.
Built:
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
1x bastard XF208

y2kindyz

#5 Post by y2kindyz »

Cool, one last question, I have a ep2500 amp that he could barrow until he saves up for the crown. I don't think it has limiters, so what would be the best way to limit and protect the speakers?

Thanks again,

sine143

#6 Post by sine143 »

driverack px or PA2. If he purchases that, he can just go ahead and purchase a cheaper amp without dsp (the non dsp Inukes would work etc)
Built:
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
1x bastard XF208

y2kindyz

#7 Post by y2kindyz »

I need help setting this up.

My Bro-in-law has a Denon MC3000 that has 1/4" outputs. If I plan on running 1 amp (EP2500), subs on channel 1 and tops on channel 2 without a signal processor. How do I crossover the subs? The EP2500 amp which has low cut off of 30hz and 50hz. I would think to set it to 30hz. How do I set the high pass for the subs to say 80-100hz? I know the tops have a xover to limit the low frequencies going thru them. Or does he need to get a signal processor like a driverack PX or pa?

A little back round - He is going to be using this for his first gig in Feb. and I want to help him get it setup right. Five years ago he was a DJing at several strip clubs, but he had a MC accident without a helmet. It almost killed him. 8 surgeries, several brain and back, and 4 years later he is wanting to get back into DJing for small parties. Mainly the biker crowd that knew him from DJing at the strip clubs. Music will range from rock and roll to hip-hop and newer popular club music.

I told him about BFM and he trusted my advice. I have been on the forum for about 5 years and even though this is my first build, I trust everyone's advice on this forum. Bill has done an outstanding job of building this forum into a great educational community.

Many thanks,

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

y2kindyz wrote:I need help setting this up.

My Bro-in-law has a Denon MC3000 that has 1/4" outputs. If I plan on running 1 amp (EP2500), subs on channel 1 and tops on channel 2 without a signal processor. How do I crossover the subs? The EP2500 amp which has low cut off of 30hz and 50hz. I would think to set it to 30hz. How do I set the high pass for the subs to say 80-100hz? I know the tops have a xover to limit the low frequencies going thru them. Or does he need to get a signal processor like a driverack PX or pa?

A little back round - He is going to be using this for his first gig in Feb. and I want to help him get it setup right. Five years ago he was a DJing at several strip clubs, but he had a MC accident without a helmet. It almost killed him. 8 surgeries, several brain and back, and 4 years later he is wanting to get back into DJing for small parties. Mainly the biker crowd that knew him from DJing at the strip clubs. Music will range from rock and roll to hip-hop and newer popular club music.

I told him about BFM and he trusted my advice. I have been on the forum for about 5 years and even though this is my first build, I trust everyone's advice on this forum. Bill has done an outstanding job of building this forum into a great educational community.

Many thanks,
You have to crossover the subs with a crossover. The high pass filter on the amp doesn't do it....nor does the advertised limiter on the amp actually limit the voltage to where you need it.

You must have a crossover and you really, really, really need to have a limiter. And it's probably going to sound awful without some EQ.

So, get a driverack PX, PA+, or similar unit.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

y2kindyz

#9 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks Bruce, That is what I thought, but was hoping there was a way to get by without it if possible. Yes I was concerned about the limiter, I know from reading it is a must for subs. Looks like a driverack PX is on the list of needs.

Thanks

kekani

#10 Post by kekani »

Is there a reason why you're focused on the DRPX v the DRPA?

I'm sure with the advent of the DRPA2, the DRPA+ should drop in price. Once he gets another amp for the extra tops and subs, if he gets another (very low wattage) amp, at least with the extra channel on the PA+ he can split off a stereo monitor mix for himself. I imagine with 4tops and subs, he may want a mix for himself, and that means more building for you. :clap:
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)
DR200 ASD (Yes! Finally!)

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kekani wrote:Is there a reason why you're focused on the DRPX v the DRPA?
The PX is cheaper and the only real difference is the 2 way vs. 3 way crossover as far as I can tell.
at least with the extra channel on the PA+ he can split off a stereo monitor mix for himself.
A mono monitor mix, not stereo....... What extra channel does the PA+ have?

Never seen one on mine.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kekani

#12 Post by kekani »

I used the wrong term, not "channels" per se, but 3 outputs.

He could run the tops on Hi, subs on Lo, and a fullrange (if needed) monitor mix on Mid.

Myself, I run a mono monitor mix because I run a mono main in the right, and mono aux in the left for live sound.

Because he's doing DJ work, he can just run the same signal to himself I imagine, and just adjust level accordingly because he doesn't have to deal with a multiple musician mix.

I guess he could do the same with the PX, as a mono signal.
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kekani wrote: He could run the tops on Hi, subs on Lo, and a fullrange (if needed) monitor mix on Mid.
But, you won't be able to EQ the monitor doing it that way. It will get the same EQ as the mains.

I run my monitors through a separate driverack, but if I didn't have one, I'd just use a 31 band EQ.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

kekani

#14 Post by kekani »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
kekani wrote: He could run the tops on Hi, subs on Lo, and a fullrange (if needed) monitor mix on Mid.
But, you won't be able to EQ the monitor doing it that way. It will get the same EQ as the mains.

I run my monitors through a separate driverack, but if I didn't have one, I'd just use a 31 band EQ.
I'm not at my DR right now, but doesn't each output have its own eq, both graphic and peq? Unless there's a reason to run a separate monitor mix (I don't DJ, so I'm assuming the same input from the mixer would be good for ALL outputs), it should be able to be done. I'll check later.

Of course, if the BinL doesn't need a monitor mix for himself, then moot point, save money and go with the PX for sure.
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_docume ... iginal.pdf

Page 6

GEQ is L and R. You are correct that there is PEQ on the hi, mid, and low outputs. Only 2 band on the mids and lows, though.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210