Pop goes a channel: SOLVED!

Is this amp OK?
jimbo7

Re: Pop goes a channel

#16 Post by jimbo7 »

Bruce Weldy wrote:You didn't mention where the gain on the mixer channel is set. Also, what about the output of the playback device? Has it been changed? There are a lot of places along the line that have an effect on volume.
Everything was set half-way execpt the amp gain which was turn-up all the way. My pc sound card and ipod were up all the way too (ok, ipod at ~90%).
byacey wrote:If you're running balanced line inputs, check the solder joints on the amplifier ch 2 input connector.

Loss of gain could also be caused by a shorted feedback loop cap as I mentioned, or a defective op amp, assuming the level control is good.
Now that I think about it, my speakon cables have been a little finicky to remove from the amp..........
I really don't wanna crack open the amp, but I am a tinkerer and very curious. I'll try this next.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

jimbo7 wrote: I really don't wanna crack open the amp, but I am a tinkerer and very curious. I'll try this next.
Before you do that, just take off the speakon connectors and attach the wires directly to the binding posts. If there is a change, then you have the culprit.

But, I gotta' tell you - that would be so far down the list of things that could be wrong that I doubt you'll find what you are looking for there.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Hackomatic

#18 Post by Hackomatic »

Following byacey's line of reasoning . . It appears the Carvin amp is balanced input only via XLRs or 1/4" TRS jacks. Without a schematic to verify, I'll assume it's an active balanced circuit via a 2 section opamp. You could eliminate half the opamp's section by rigging up an unbalanced connector and feeding only pin 2 of the XLR or the tip of the 1/4" with the grounds attached to pin 1 & 3 on the XLR or the ring and sleeve on the 1/4". You will loose some level overall, but it will help determine if it's in the input stage of the amp. If it passes that test and both channels perform equally, then move the input signal to pin 3 of the XLR with ground to pin 1 & 2 or ring of the TRS with ground tied to tip and sleeve and try it again.
Dave H

Hackomatic

#19 Post by Hackomatic »

I should mention that you would need to lift the non-feeding wire on the mixer side so that it does not become grounded on the amp side of your test cable.
Dave H

byacey

#20 Post by byacey »

It's preferable to float the unused pin 2 or 3 of the mixer output, but it shouldn't hurt anything should it become grounded. There are almost always build out resistors on the opamp output to protect against shorted lines and high capacitive loading.

I can't see the speakons creating a drop in level or HF rolloff; either they pass signal or they don't.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

byacey

#21 Post by byacey »

Hackomatic wrote:Following byacey's line of reasoning . . It appears the Carvin amp is balanced input only via XLRs or 1/4" TRS jacks. Without a schematic to verify, I'll assume it's an active balanced circuit via a 2 section opamp. You could eliminate half the opamp's section by rigging up an unbalanced connector and feeding only pin 2 of the XLR or the tip of the 1/4" with the grounds attached to pin 1 & 3 on the XLR or the ring and sleeve on the 1/4". You will loose some level overall, but it will help determine if it's in the input stage of the amp. If it passes that test and both channels perform equally, then move the input signal to pin 3 of the XLR with ground to pin 1 & 2 or ring of the TRS with ground tied to tip and sleeve and try it again.
Most common is a dual opamp input like a TL072 or a 5532, 1 opamp section for each channel input. One balanced input would drive pin 2 and 3 of the 1st. opamp, and pin 5 and 6 of the 2nd. opamp section driven from the channel 2 input. Typically the output of the opamps would then be terminated on the high end of the respective input level controls.

If this is the topology, then driving either pin 2 or 3 would yield the same problem if that particular opamp section is defective. If you get signal driving one pin of 2 or 3 the XLR and none on the other pin, then it could be an input connector problem or bad solder joints, coupling cap, etc.

However, the original poster indicated the problem changed states after moving the parallel mono / bridging switches. These switches would be generally be located after the input balancing opamp outputs but before the level controls. Because he indicated the HF was rolled off on one channel, I think it's something more than just an open input pin.

If cleaning the switches doesn't clear up the problem and you don't have any experience, I would suggest you get it in to a technician to have a look.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

jimbo7

#22 Post by jimbo7 »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :fruit:

Finally figured out what was causing it. It's a loose connection on my mixer's output. I bumped some wires and it came on for a second. Jiggled them around and it was cutting in and out. Traced it to amp input wires and then to the mixer.

So relieved that it's not my amp and just a 2nd hand mixer I paid $30 for. :lol:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Tom Smit

Re: Pop goes a channel: SOLVED!

#23 Post by Tom Smit »

Excellent!
It might be fixable, then?
TomS

jimbo7

#24 Post by jimbo7 »

Tom Smit wrote:Excellent!
It might be fixable, then?
Maybe. I'm guessing a loose solder connection. I'm working outta town and only home on the weekends, so my motivation puts this on the bottom of the list. I have another bare-bones mixer I can use in the meantime. I'm just so relieved I figured it out and that it wasn't the amp.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Grant Bunter

#25 Post by Grant Bunter »

:clap:
Cool, on the scale of things it's much better than the amp being the problem.

Here's hoping you get it sorted without to much trouble...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...