Peavey CS800x What can it Drive ?

Is this amp OK?
SoundInMotionDJ

Re: Peavey CS800x What can it Drive ?

#16 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

BassNoid wrote:"T39 BP102 loaded is a great match for this amp."

So what would I limit the volts to this speaker ?
It's in the plans. Read them. Five times.

I'm not trying to be dismissive...but if you are going to build, first you must understand. The best route to understanding is LOTS of quality time with the plans.

Asking about voltage limits when you have not even settled on MANY other waaaaaay more important aspects of your PA system is putting the cart before the horse. What tops do you have? What kind of pack space is available? What is the intended use? All MUCH more important than matching an amp to a driver (at least at this point).
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

Randall Dibble

#17 Post by Randall Dibble »

Yes, I see that BassNoid has been dismissed.

Off to detention he should go for asking a simple question.
We are all immigrants and for most of us we haven't visited home recently, "Africa"!

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Randall Dibble wrote:Yes, I see that BassNoid has been dismissed.

Off to detention he should go for asking a simple question.
Not at all dismissive, but very good advice. You can't focus on the finish line when you haven't even started the race.

I hope the OP will take the advice in the way it was intended - it will serve him well.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BassNoid

#19 Post by BassNoid »

If you read my original post you'd see that I'm interested what cabinet and driver combination would be a good match for a Peavey CS800x.

Given that I was granted the information regrading other drivers why not provide the answer to this question ?

I'm looking for some help in narrowing my purchase to a set of plans I choose to build for this amp.

Thanks for the advice. I understand the recommended methodology but I'm not at the point nor do I embrace it. I not out for perfection in a P.A. System and spending what ever money needed to have that out come. I'm forced to make do with what I have. I'm sure many others who come to this forum are faced with the same choices.

SoundInMotionDJ

#20 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

BassNoid wrote:If you read my original post you'd see that I'm interested what cabinet and driver combination would be a good match for a Peavey CS800x.

Given that I was granted the information regrading other drivers why not provide the answer to this question ?
Because, by and large that piece of information will not create or resolve a decision point.

For reference, I limit my T30@14, BP102 loaded, to 40v. The driver+horn is a 10ohm combination, so that limit equate to roughly 160 watts per cabinet. In my (informal) testing, I found that at 150w the T39@14 BP102 stopped making more SPL. The plans more or less confirm that 40v is the right place to limit the BP102. This driver choice leave some headroom on the amp.

The CS800x does not "need" to have headroom...as it was built into the amp to begin with (e.g. the amp has sufficient heat sinks to actually output the rated power over time without any cooling issues...that is not "universally" true when it comes to many more "modern" amps).

The other advice for the 3012LF or Lab12 are for drivers that can handle MORE output than the amps rating. That is also a direction to go.
BassNoid wrote:I'm looking for some help in narrowing my purchase to a set of plans I choose to build for this amp.
I certainly understand the "design to cost" method you are using. Ultimately, there are MANY other ways to save cost...even accounting for the need to purchase a $300 amp to drive alternate cabinets.
BassNoid wrote:Thanks for the advice. I understand the recommended methodology but I'm not at the point nor do I embrace it. I not out for perfection in a P.A. System and spending what ever money needed to have that out come. I'm forced to make do with what I have. I'm sure many others who come to this forum are faced with the same choices.
The "perfect" is the enemy of the "great." The "great" is the enemy of the "good."

Pack space, total cost, and application are all MORE important than cabinet type, driver selection, and amp. You seem to be hyper focused on the amp that you have...and not on the wider range of decisions that you have.

There is NOTHING about that amp that will "force" a decision about a cabinet type (like the size of your vehicle will) or driver (there are drivers for every cabinet in multiple price points, one giving "good" results and another giving "great" results...the difference typically being the price).

Your situation is very similar to the "standard" advice given to people who want to fit an existing driver to a cabinet are told. That advice is "pick the cabinet first, then buy the appropriate driver." Pick the cabinet first, then the driver, and the amp last (or in your case, that amp can be used to drive any combination of cabinet and driver).

So...how big is your vehicle? What is the application for this? What does the remainder of the PA system look like?
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

BassNoid

#21 Post by BassNoid »

Thank You !

I was able find and an answer from Bill at this thread as well as formula on how to calculate the voltage for limiting. I understand that running to max voltage for the may not get more SPL and just heat and the need for some heard room to keep it clean.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =3&t=20597

As for as Pack space, it's not an issue I have access to different trailers and or other vehicles to get the rig to the show. Commonly we have 4-6 or 7 band members for the duty.

Current P.A. system for live sound is depend on who has what and how does it performs. Various band members already own P.A. systems. I'm trying put together something that will out perform the array of matched systems and parts so I don't have to suffer the poor or good sound with unpredictable results. I'd like better sound with every show.

I now have a choice between building Omni12tops, as tops with Eminence delta12a Pro's or Titan 39's with Eminence DB102's as Subs. The speakers are already available and in different boxes at this time and willing to be transplanted.

If I was choose one first I'm prepared top build other speaker cabinets second.

My concern is how to best use what I have in speakers, amp and build that which will give the most immediate results for my investment, wood and labor.

Side note, my post made in the amp section concerning "Amp Brown out protection" I currently researching a possible purchase of iNuke3000dsp, as second stage of my project to complement the Cs800x in my rack. What role it would play I'm unsure ? all of it's features may reduce the number component in the rack.

Why I'm posting here in the forum now because I'm recovering from a back strain. An outdoor Halloween Party last weekend resulted in me being laid up because I helped haul 4-HUge W horns subs with 18" speakers them.

Thanks for the help !

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter »

I agree with SIMDJ,

ie. other considerations and decisions such as pack space etc, by and large, should be considered first and amps last.

All my plans say the BP102 is to be limited to 35V (on a side note if SIDJ's plans say limit to 40V and are older plans, that's handy to know), with the following proviso(s):
The BP102 is an 8 ohm version (as a 4 ohm version is available and has a different voltage limit).
That the cab is either a single loaded driver, or a dual loaded cab wired internally in parallel.

That voltage limit is for any BP102 loaded sub cab designed by Bill meeting the provisions above.

If a decision is made to series wire dual loaded driver cabs, then the voltage limit would be 70V, so your amp doesn't cover that, which eliminates that as an option.

It's easy enough to spin out a list of designs that will take a driver for your amp output, however it seems no one has asked what "content" you expect to be able to hear from your subs. That is an essential part of consideration and IMO the first decision to be made.
As a generalisation, tubas play lower, titans louder.

Also my opinion, it is absolutely pointless spending the extra money (although in the USA it is not as significant price differential wise as it is here) to buy 3012lf or Lab12 drivers unless, at some stage you are positively going to do an amp upgrade to be able to run them higher than 35 or thereabouts volts. I don't care what anyone says, BP102 loaded cabs at less than 35V are still very very loud in T39's.

Just so you know, using BP102's has 6dB less maximum output compared to using 3012lf/lab 12 loaded cabs.
ie, one pair of 3012lf/lab 12 loaded cabs would have the same maximum output as 4 x BP102 loaded cabs.

You can maximise output from BP loaded cabs to an extent, building as wide as you can for any given design increases output, to the order of 3dB compared to a less wide cab, but again, this is only viable if you have the space to pack the cabs...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#23 Post by Tom Smit »

Better sound, lighter cabs, 40v.

Sounds like 20" wide T39s with BP102 (x4).
8)
TomS