Crown comm-tech 200

Is this amp OK?
duder1982

Crown comm-tech 200

#1 Post by duder1982 »

First I don't know if this is a good amp but I picked one up cheap. So I will give it a try, but my question is this, which I posted on another forum as well I figured between the two I should get the right ansewer and since you guys know what kind of power is needed that is why I am asking here. But this is for a ttls, and here is my question.

First if I would have known I was going to use a pro amp for this project I would have purchased the balanced option. But I didn't, but I hope there is lite. So I will be using my Minidsp to incorporate a sub into my 2 channel system. The minidsp has a output voltage of .9 vrms, the crown needs 1.48 to produce 1khz of power. The kicker is I don't think I need 1 khz of power do I. But there is a input sensitivity switch on the crown to which I can switch from .775 volt to 26 db which varies with the model I have. Does this make since to anyone, should I switch this the the higher input sensitivity.

BrentEvans

Re: Crown comm-tech 200

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

:confused:

I think you need to learn what the specs are saying, and also a little about Ohm's Law. First of all, khz, or kilohertz, is a measure of frequency, not of power.

Power is measured in watts.
Sound frequency is measured in hertz (hz) or kilohertz (khz). Radio frequency is also measured in these units, and higher units (megahertz, gigahertz, etc).
The output capability of an amp is rated based on load impedance, measured in ohms. Often, you will see this expressed as something similar to:

450W at 8 ohms, 800w at 4 ohms, 1khz, 1% THD.

What this means is:

When this amp is presented with a speaker load of 8 ohms impedance, the amp will output 450 watts of power with a 1khz sine wave source, having no more than 1% total harmonic distortion. When the amp is presented with a 4 ohm load, the output is 800 watts.

Using ohm's law, we can determine the voltage swing of the outputs. 450w at 8 ohms is 60 volts. 800 watts is 56 volts. Voltage swing creates volume, not power. This means that two identical 8 ohm speakers connected to this amp channel will be slightly less than double the volume of a single.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_l ... ulator.php

There's a start for you... go do some reading.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

In case you don't have it, here is a link to the manual.

The manual is a bit confusing so I'll sum it up.
1. Leave the input sensitivity setting at the factory default of 0.775 volts. Your mini dsp outputs are strong enough (0.9 volts) to drive your amplifier to full power.
2. Hoop up the output of the mini dsp to the amplifier as shown in the manual page 17.
3. Make sure the slide switches by the outputs are in the 4/8 ohm mode.
4. Use the attenuators on the amp or within the mini dsp software (output levels) to adjust the amplifier output to match the rest of your system. Generally ,to get the least noise in the system, you would want the mini dsp output levels to be high and the amplifiers levels to be low, as opposed to the other way around (mini dsp outputs low, amplifier gains high)
5. Enjoy your system.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

duder1982

#4 Post by duder1982 »

Hey folks thanks for the help, I took a plunge last night(one to many beers) and hooked it all up with out changing the sensitivity settings. I figured it was safer that way. Anyway everything seems to be working fine. I built this sub some time ago and this is the first time I was able to incorporate it into my system, I probably have some more tweaking to do but let me just say this thing sounds awesome. I have a sub to build one more, just need to get some wood.