QSC GX7 or Crown XLS2500 or wait for Peavey IPR2 3000

Is this amp OK?
daveode

QSC GX7 or Crown XLS2500 or wait for Peavey IPR2 3000

#1 Post by daveode »

Here is my situation...
I have ordered a Peavey IPR3000 from Guitar Center on 9-2-13, it said it was in stock, I wanted it because everywhere else it was discontinued and it was at a lower price (I guess to push the old ones out). Like a day later I get an email saying it was on back order, and that back orders take around 7 days to ship. So I guess they where giving me the new series 2 amp!

I need a sub amp in like 2 weeks now for an outdoor event so It's been close to 5 weeks now and I still haven't received anything. I contacted them and they said back orders with no estimated arrival times take 3 weeks...... It's been 5!! Lol!! so they said "Sorry for any inconvenience. Some amps with similar wattage ratings that are in stock are the Peavey PV 2600 Power Amp, QSC GX7, Crown XLS2500 and the Behringer EP4000. We can cancel the backorder at anytime and send you one of these instead if you want.

So out of the QSC GX7 or the Crown XLS2500, what would be the better option? Or should I take the chance and wait to see if i get the IRP in 2 weeks?? It will be for 2 - T39's 28" wide with LAB12's for now and 4 of them in the near future.

I really did get a great deal on the IPR... $318.00 after taxes... I don't know what to do? :conf:
David Odell
Sound tech for Love Seed Mama Jump
Sound tech for dewey Beach and greater Philadelphia area.
Freelance Audio Tech
A1, A2, L2, V2, GT

kekani

Re: QSC GX7 or Crown XLS2500 or wait for Peavey IPR2 3000

#2 Post by kekani »

Can't comment on your exact situation, but here's a relative opinion.

I have a GX5 (26#, so its heavier than a GX7), XLS1500 and XLS2000.
For my needs, the GX5 is too heavy (yeah, I'm a pussy and love the light weight stuff), BUT, the power is in no short supply.
For my setup (with no subs, Wedges on one channel and Jack 112's on the other) the GX5 sits idle during a live acoustic performance.
I got the XLS amps after the GX5, and normally run the 2000 with the setup above. I'll run the 2000 a little higher on the knobs, but still have no need to see red on the meters.

I have run a direct radiator sub on the GX5, and have pegged it, but not clipped it. I'm sure the GX7 would fare much better for me here. More power, less weight, and I don't need to run other than 4 or 8 ohms.

My opinion for you - with Bill's subs, I think the benefits of the XLS2500 (extremely light weight, some processing functions if you need it) outweigh the power of the GX7 (basically a relatively high power, light weight amp). The thing I don't know is if the XLS is enough power for you, but I think it will be. Seems the specs are close to the IPR.

OTOH, and this is just a visual, physical, no data supported, gut opinion. Its seems that the QSC is a more solid amp than the Crowns. And I'm a Harmon fan (AKG, Soundcraft, dbx, BSS). I don't know why I'm saying that, as I've had no problems with either, yet. :fingers:
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)
DR200 ASD (Yes! Finally!)