new miniDSP plate amp & THT

Is this amp OK?
fastslappy

new miniDSP plate amp & THT

#1 Post by fastslappy »

hey guys ,
I know nothing about DSP ,
but I have a guy that I know who built a THT with a bash 300 watt amp & uses a miniDSP to EQ the beast .
I was wondering if one of these new miniDSP ICE plate amps ( p/n# PWR-ICE125 ) would work on a THT ?
it's a 2 channel or bridged mono amp 2x125W @ 4Ω or 1 x 450W @ 4Ω. with a miniDSP module on the amp .

product page http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-a ... pwr-ice125

I like the idea of having both the units on the same platform .
does anyone have a opinion if this is a good idea ?
It's a fairly small unit 8 x 6 " IIRC

http://www.minidsp.com/images/stories/v ... iagram.jpg
Mike

Radian

Re: new miniDSP plate amp & THT

#2 Post by Radian »

Try it out and report back to us. :hyper:

It's brand spanking new, so no one here has officially had a chance with it yet.

I'll be picking up a couple within the next year or so, but for running mains as the fidelity of those ICE modules would be almost completely wasted on subs alone.

Nice thing about getting feet wet with MiniDSP is the clean, intuitive UI.....REW on OTOH :roll: is going to take some time to warm up to, and is not without its own pitfalls.

Signal processing (analog or digital) can prove to be a tough nut to crack.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

SeisTres

#3 Post by SeisTres »

:shock: Whoa! thanks for the heads up on this product. The last plate amp they had was around $1000! This is something i would really consider for some powered diy speakers, like sticking a module in one of my jacks and another on a t39 for a perfect sounding rig.

As has been pointed out, it is a new product so I'm guessing any reviews will be hard to come by, but I can fully recommend the minidsp itself. It is an AMAZING product that very flexible and actually easy to use once you get the hang of it. With the new reduced prices, you'll be wondering why you didn't get it sooner (i know i did).
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

fastslappy

#4 Post by fastslappy »

the new Pioneer AVR's are now using the ICE class " D " amps seems they have figured out the issues with class " D " being noisy at the low end & top end & cleaned that issue up
@ 450 watts bridged Mono it seems like a ideal choice for a THT build
the price is near what a Bash 300 watt PE plate amp & then a separate miniDSP would cost & also have a much smaller footprint , it could be installed right on a " THT Low Profile " unit in that un-used area between the horn mouth flares & then where the folds are ending on that one side of the cabinet , to my eyes some guy leave a void the to save Plywood .
I know on a regular THT is no such area IIRC .
With my Home Theater I plan further down the road to go active crossovers & use the miniDSP's to control the EQ,timing of all my drivers as all 9 speakers are 2 ways .
With my planned dual THT Low Profile build that I will be doing soon(when a friend is able to do the build) , I would want to start using the miniDSP now so the learning curve is not so Steep when I go actives
Mike

Radian

#5 Post by Radian »

With the Pioneer you have the option to fore-go the outboard amp purchase and use one of the multi-zone designations as a subwoofer amp.

That way, all you have to buy is the MiniDSP itself (the stand alone unit) and foldback the subwoofer output through it, then into whichever zone input (1 or 2). The AVR would then be powering the sub directly.

It's not the like the Pioneer is short on spare amp channels. :wink:

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

fastslappy

#6 Post by fastslappy »

Yeah , I don't have a Pio Elite AVR ,
I just was aware that they were using the new ICE amp modules as well in their new Elite line So that the ICE amp technology is a tested source of clean noiseless power > if Pio is now using them they must be good is what I was getting at :mrgreen: .
I use stand alone power amps for my HT (Emotiva's ) & a Onkyo AVR as a pre-pro processor only .

The fact that a 6 " x 8 " plate amp that will EQ itself(with a PC ) with a flash memory that remembers it's own last setting
AND has 450 watts is very appealing to me . all for $275.oo then bolted to my THT that's a WIN-WIN :hyper: in my book !

(I'm NOT a big fan of Audyssey & other room correction software )
Mike

ecut1

#7 Post by ecut1 »

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums here and this is the second time I've come across the topic of using a second zone for a sub amp. I have a Denon AVR-3806. Is it possible to do this with my receiver? If so, what would I need to buy? Or better yet, is there a thread out there somewhere with all the details I'd need?

Thanks,

Erick

Radian

#8 Post by Radian »

Erick,

I've started a new thread in order to answer your question.

Please see here: http://www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum/v ... 29&t=20705

-Radian

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim