Marathon Amps?

Is this amp OK?
bradn7

Marathon Amps?

#1 Post by bradn7 »

Does anyone know anything about this company?(Marathon) I have done some research as to where they are made and what their power ratings are, but aside from that, does anyone know anything about the stability of these over time? How well they hold up? Anything?

byacey

Re: Marathon Amps?

#2 Post by byacey »

I don't know, but judging by the name, I would put as much stock in their product as I would a computer power supply made by the Sparkle Electric Co, or the Sinkmore Lifejacket Co. :lol:

Where do they get these names from?
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

byacey wrote:I don't know, but judging by the name, I would put as much stock in their product as I would a computer power supply made by the Sparkle Electric Co, or the Sinkmore Lifejacket Co. :lol:

Where do they get these names from?
:clap:

Of course, Marathon was a place, before it became the name of a foot race.
No doubt there were grand thoughts of longevity and stamina and heart when coming up with the name, which was done by the marketing department. Not realising that the name was also a place of battle.

I hope they are absolutely brilliant amps, work for a long time and it's not a battle :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Charles Jenkinson

#4 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I liked the chocolate bar of the same name.

Edit: I've just remembered, they didn't last that long.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

bradn7 wrote:Does anyone know anything about this company?(Marathon) I have done some research as to where they are made and what their power ratings are, but aside from that, does anyone know anything about the stability of these over time? How well they hold up? Anything?
It's just another of the dozens of companies selling cheap Asian imports. There's nothing wrong with Asian imports per se, but I shy away from those whose websites use computer software to translate the original Cantonese into English. If something goes wrong, who you gonna' call?

escapemcp

#6 Post by escapemcp »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:I liked the chocolate bar of the same name.

Edit: I've just remembered, they didn't last that long.
+1.. I wrote a similar comment, but never posted as I guessed most people wouldn't know what I was on about. You obviously do Charles :) they were round for quite a while iirc. Now, do you remember Treets? They were the forerunners of M&Ms!

Charles Jenkinson

#7 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I do remember Treets. :-) I stopped buying Marathon's when they became Snickers' - not the same thing. :-(
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Marathon Amps can only run within 26.2 miles of home.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

bradn7

#9 Post by bradn7 »

Thanks for the quick responses. It was an amp I saw in an Mmr magazine and wanted to know if there were any thoughts on it. Doesn't look like ill be investing to much into this. Thank you

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#10 Post by Harley »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Marathon Amps can only run within 26.2 miles of home.
...and die at the end of the run.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

bradn7, I have one of their flight cases. While they aren't the same as electronics, the cases are of decent quality for the price. Their "DJ" line of amps look interesting. The "Pro" line are heavyweights. I would class them right with the Behringer line, although not as proven.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

byacey

#12 Post by byacey »

That's the problem with a lot of this off-shore product with obscure or unknown branding. It's possible it may be a reasonable quality product that is very good value for the money, but until someone sticks their neck out and actually runs one in some rigorous real world testing, you just don't know.

At least with a known brand name, the company will usually stand behind the warranty, and you have an idea of the quality based on reputation. It's also relatively easy to find a warranty depot on this continent. Look how Behringer has been struggling for years to shake off the stigma of their products.

People in pro audio production are generally reluctant to invest in gear of unknown quality and reliability; failures at an inopportune moment can be very bad for business.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

David Raehn

#13 Post by David Raehn »

Kind of reminds me of this one:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/5 ... =555-17710

4000 watts (250 x 2 @ 8 ohms).

Looks like another QSC RMX 850 clone.....
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob: