Sub amp: Expensive, new & light or cheaper & heavier

Is this amp OK?
Charles Jenkinson

Re: Sub amp: Expensive, new & light or cheaper & heavier

#16 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I'm glad you said that stuff, because ive been trying to work out their approach to things. After all, why has someone traded in a potentially 13 year old amp (in my case) if it 'works perfectly'. I'm only 50/50 on it yet. However, I've decided the price was right for what is the bones of a quality amp, and I am not relying on their 'warranty'. I have a mate in Horwich (Musicview) who has just fixed my graphic, and he can fix this should it need fixing.

Edit: But i did find a 'new, still in box' crown XLI2500 for £250 on ebay, and apart from my mate saying he thinks Matrix's (or Matrices for the purists) sound warmer than other amps with similar topology, one ends up wondering if it may be spending good money after bad. We will see.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Charles Jenkinson

#17 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Update: The Matrix amp manifested an intermittent fault over the weekend. The sound was cutting in and out on one channel. To cut a not so long story shorter, whybuynew very kindly agreed to a £25 partial refund, and I'll get it fixed. Happy-ish customer.
2xT30

escapemcp

#18 Post by escapemcp »

Hmm... I tried fixing the laser that I got from them, but discovered that one of the red diodes was barely outputting any light at all, so it went back. I'm so glad it did as I got a VERY similar laser for £120 less and it was new.

I did recently buy a castor kit from them though and it was good! For £25 DELIVERED it's hard to see how this one can go wrong :)
http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/equipment-ca ... -racks.htm

Fits a plastic rack case PERFECTLY (I thought I'd have to mod it).

BassheadUK

#19 Post by BassheadUK »

I bought the JBL MPX 1200 - Haven't powered it up at all yet, the guy who was selling it said it was removed from a club, they had a foam party that destroyed the speakers, so they upgraded the speakers and amps at the same time, it had been to an electronics engineer that had tested it and it was fine, looks nice and clean, and still weighs in at 33kgs. Im going to apply for a fork lift truck licence to load it into the car....!

I've looked at the price of the XLS2500 and even dealing with a trade supplier, I don't get much discount, not worth my while buying to stock

Im planning to run 2x T39 lab 12's from it, the tops are going to be powered by a mates amp, I'm not sure if I'm going to be a devil and build DR250s or play safe and create some OT12's with a lab12.

Suppose i need finger out of bum and get the T39s built first before I think of tops and how they are going to be powered
I plan to build a couple of DR250's & Autotuba.
WARNING - LAB12 T39's are EXCELLENT

Charles Jenkinson

#20 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Well done on buying the old iron amp. I spent 75 quid on fixing mine, so all over not a great bargain, £175 for potentially 13yr old amp, but I'm also not complaining, because I've connected up with a friend as a result and some other stuff may come about, so all good. Old iron versus switch mode power supply is an issue of how much you're doing, and do you really need it all in one rack. I mean, a bit of weight hasn't stopped the show thus far for anyone. I'm going separate rack for mine, job done.

Any questions, re: getting started on your T39's, do not hesitate to ask them here. I'm not the best at answering them, but there are others here who are exemplary at answering queries. I can however relate that whilst I have reasonable practical hands on experience with wood and hand tools, I'm more of a reflector than a doer. It was getting married and kids coming along that helped me to get my ass in gear, and try to get jobs done, because no one else is going to do them for me, especially when it is targeted as DIY gear. Having said that, everything worked out just fine before I was married and had kids, so maybe I should relax a little bit. In all, it's probably a bucket list and legacy issue, psychologically speaking - I should just shorten the list, but despite never having watched Forest Gump, I think most people are on the money with the 'box of chocolates' metaphor, i.e. One always wants one more. My suggestion is to start a build thread and decide what the next thing you need to do is, then do it. It's that easy, and that hard. :-) good luck!
2xT30