Limiter on Crown XLS amps

Is this amp OK?
whines

Limiter on Crown XLS amps

#1 Post by whines »

So the XLS (1000 in my case) has a binary limiter--on/off. I'm already using a limiter on my DCX, set using a voltmeter. Would you turn the amp's limiter on, under the assumption that more protections are better, or turn it off since it's redundant?

The XLS manual says nothing about the specifics of the built-in limiter or when it kicks in. I assume at the rated output of the amp, but that's just a guess.
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

Bruce Weldy

Re: Limiter on Crown XLS amps

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

whines wrote:So the XLS (1000 in my case) has a binary limiter--on/off. I'm already using a limiter on my DCX, set using a voltmeter. Would you turn the amp's limiter on, under the assumption that more protections are better, or turn it off since it's redundant?

The XLS manual says nothing about the specifics of the built-in limiter or when it kicks in. I assume at the rated output of the amp, but that's just a guess.
I don't use 'em. They offer no protection for your speakers, they just keep the amp from getting overloaded best I can tell.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."