adapting barrier strip to speakon

Is this amp OK?
MisterB

adapting barrier strip to speakon

#1 Post by MisterB »

I found a good deal on an amp with barrier strip outputs.

I was thinking I could make my own speakon cables with the neutrik connector on one end and just strip the two core wires to go in the barrier strip on the other end.

Anyone have any input on how hard / easy this would be, any other potential challenges I might face with that kind of output?
12" autotuba

Pair of O-Top 12s with Delta Pros

jswingchun

Re: adapting barrier strip to speakon

#2 Post by jswingchun »

Is this for a mobile setup or a permanent installation? If it is mobile, I would make an adapter cable and leave it attached to the back of the amp so I could use normal speakon cables. If it is permanent install, I would just wire from the terminals and pop a speakon on the other end of the cable.

Also, if it's in an amp rack, you could wire up a panel on the back with female speakon panel jacks.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... mpaign=pla
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

MisterB

#3 Post by MisterB »

Great suggestions, it will be for a mobile setup but the amp is made for an installation... other obstacle is that the volume knobs will be in the back. That will probably be a p.i.t.a. till I get a good idea of where I want the levels to be set.
12" autotuba

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

MisterB wrote:Great suggestions, it will be for a mobile setup but the amp is made for an installation... other obstacle is that the volume knobs will be in the back. That will probably be a p.i.t.a. till I get a good idea of where I want the levels to be set.
The amp volumes should be wide open all the time. Control the input from your board, driverack, etc.

Build a rack panel like this - you'll never regret it.

Attachments
061810 Rack2.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

MisterB

#5 Post by MisterB »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
MisterB wrote:Great suggestions, it will be for a mobile setup but the amp is made for an installation... other obstacle is that the volume knobs will be in the back. That will probably be a p.i.t.a. till I get a good idea of where I want the levels to be set.
The amp volumes should be wide open all the time. Control the input from your board, driverack, etc.

Thank you sir for the info on the amp levels and the picture. I'm working two extra jobs to come up with extra $ to build my system. I just finished a shift from one. That combined with looking at the picture has me motivated to go ahead and buy the amp :)
12" autotuba

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

MisterB wrote: I'm working two extra jobs to come up with extra $ to build my system.

That will make it all the more sweet when you accomplish your goal.

If you ever want to check out a BFM system, come on down.

I'll have everything out this Thursday, July 25th in Landa Park for Concerts in the Park. It's a free show. This week will be a young rock band that is really good. Drive down and introduce yourself.....I'll be the sweaty guy trying to look like I know what I'm doing.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

#7 Post by CoronaOperator »

Bruce Weldy wrote:

+1

I rent systems often and the local audio rental place here always has amp and panel mounted in an amp rack together. Their panel has in/out xlr jacks for left and right side as well as two speakon jacks per channel. It is very handy being able to daisy chain the xlr cables as well as having another set of speaker jacks if necessary. Their panel has proven very usefull and I highly recommend it. Unlike Bruces picture however they mount their panel on the front of the case. That too has proven useful when making system changes on the fly in very dark rooms.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CoronaOperator wrote: Unlike Bruces picture however they mount their panel on the front of the case. That too has proven useful when making system changes on the fly in very dark rooms.
Yeah, in a rental kit, that's probably a good idea. But, with personal stuff, I wouldn't want to give up the real estate on the front.

I'm down to a single 1U space left. Probably could lose the dbx231 EQ now that I have all that on the Presonus for monitors. I keep thinking that one day someone will hire me to do some little show where I'll use my old board that's still in the top of that rack......waiting.....waiting...and if I got a show like that....I'd probably still use the Presonus. :conf:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

J_Dunavin

#9 Post by J_Dunavin »

I also have a terminal strip on the back of my IPS amps. It was easy to hook up to a speakon plate jack.
It's also really nice to access the terminal strip for voltage measuring during setup.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba