XTI: accessing system architect from a distance

Is this amp OK?
sine143

XTI: accessing system architect from a distance

#1 Post by sine143 »

Hey guys, so I realize that 16 is the max distance for usb ports, however, I'm trying to monitor my amp activity from FOH using system architect and the USB ports on the amplifier.

My first thought is there must be a way to convert to ethernet or something similar, and then i can just run it with the xlr snake. however, I was wondering if any of you guys had already found a simple solution to this. Thoughts?
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Chris_Allen

Re: XTI: accessing system architect from a distance

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

It's nowhere near that simple because USB needs a stack to manage data. My knowledge on this is massively hazy these days but you would need something to de-serialise the connection and that is almost a complete redesign.

It would be easier to have a local computer/laptop to the amps and remote desktop over wireless.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

there are plenty of usb to cat5 converters on the market. google is your friend. :)

There are also interfaces to do usb over IP, at considerably higher prices. For the purposes of managing a single amp remotely, this might be a bit of overkill.

May I also suggest to the OP that the DSP in your amp should be fixed as a system tuning device? If you want to tweak master eq, put a graphic in line at FOH. If you are having to tweak continuously, your tuning isn't right.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

sine143

#4 Post by sine143 »

My DSP is fixed. however, ever so often I will adjust xover points slightly (between acts etc) . the main reason I like to interface with System architect is because the metering is much better (clip light esp so). it also allows me to really push things with my subs, safeley. 90 percent of the acts that play on my system are heavy duty cycle, sub bass sine freq content electronic music. If sitting near the amp with sys architect open, i like to keep the sub output around neg 3 db.

I realize there are many cat5/usb interfaces available online. thats mostly the reason I asked this question, because I wanted to know if any of YOU people use any of those products with success with the xti

I realize the USBX is coming out... but 199 to use my iphone for metering seems steep....
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

BrentEvans wrote:there are plenty of usb to cat5 converters on the market. google is your friend. :)
I thought this was literally just an extension using the cat5 pairs for noise cancellation.
There are also interfaces to do usb over IP, at considerably higher prices. For the purposes of managing a single amp remotely, this might be a bit of overkill.
This would be what I would class as de-serialisation - didn't know such devices existed though.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

netwerks

#6 Post by netwerks »

hook a cheapo windows wireless laptop up where your amps are and if you have an ipad or other laptop use windows remote desktop to control it remotely. There are a ton of other options via remote desktop. You can even buy a wireless travel router for $20 but its not needed. Problem solved.

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

netwerks wrote:hook a cheapo windows wireless laptop up where your amps are and if you have an ipad or other laptop use windows remote desktop to control it remotely. There are a ton of other options via remote desktop. You can even buy a wireless travel router for $20 but its not needed. Problem solved.
+1 Create an AD-HOC direct connection network between the 2 wireless devices. Easy direct control.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

rotebass

#8 Post by rotebass »

Check it out closer, it does more than just monitoring over WIFI.

http://www.crownaudio.com/usbx-htm.html

I've not seen it in action myself, but know a few that have. Look foward to being able to control my IT and XTIs from the same interface.