Amp selection for 8 DR280's and 10 T60's!

Is this amp OK?
Boyd

Re: Amp selection for 8 DR280's and 10 T60's!

#16 Post by Boyd »

One of advantages of a permanent install is that it doesn't matter if the amp rack is as tall as you are - you don't have to lug them anywhere, making multiple smaller amps a viable option with good redundancy.

If you've got the $ to spend, Lab Gruppen & MC2 make very good amps, powerful and 2 ohm stable (though I prefer not to run below 4 ohms, especially on subs). Funktion1 use re-badged MC2 amps, probably the only part of their systems really worth the pricetag.

*** All series wiring is a big problem if you have a driver failure. series inside dual loaded cabs and parallel linked will only take out the faulty cab, not the whole stack.

With the grunt those DR280's will have, that power shading could come in real handy to avoid bodily harm to the closer audience.
Built:

2x Titan 48 18" wide 3012LF loaded
2x Otop 12 J-Array 3012HO Melded

Building:

2x Titan 48 36" 3015LF

Bas Gooiker

#17 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Try to keep subs over 4 ohms per amp channel if you are using general public type(xti, ep, etc) pa amps because the damping goes down on low impedance loads. If you want low impedance loads would suggest getting some real pro amps like PKN, Powersoft, Lab, FFA and the likes.

I don't know how you are going to run your FOH and monitors but you could choose to run the whole signal chain from dj mixer through FOH until the amps fully digital through cat5.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

hifibob

#18 Post by hifibob »

oh boy I'm such a sucker for quality.. So will there be any noticeable difference if I use Lab/FFA etc amps? If there will be a noticeable difference I will spring for the higher quality amps.. Any specific suggestion? I'm ready to start shopping around for them.. I see some on ebay but they all seem to be from Europe of overseas..

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#19 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

hifibob wrote:will there be any noticeable difference if I use Lab/FFA etc amps?
Only in your bank account. I would stick with big iron QSC or Crown, since there's no advantage to lighter weight amps in a permanent install.

hifibob

#20 Post by hifibob »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
hifibob wrote:will there be any noticeable difference if I use Lab/FFA etc amps?
Only in your bank account. I would stick with big iron QSC or Crown, since there's no advantage to lighter weight amps in a permanent install.
So should I be looking at the Crown Macro-Tech Series and QSC RMX?

Bas Gooiker

#21 Post by Bas Gooiker »

hifibob wrote: So should I be looking at the Crown Macro-Tech Series and QSC RMX?
Yes, those are real touring grade amps, as are old Crest. They weigh a ton but are build like a tank and come up cheap on the fleebay quite regular. forgot to mention those in my previous post.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

hifibob

#22 Post by hifibob »

wow those are powerful! So from what I can tell it looks like I could use the Macro-Tech 2402 to power 2 dr280's per channel? The specs claim 800w at 4 ohms per channel. Will this be enough for the 280's? The Macro-Tech3600vz will output 1565 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I could put 4 T60's loaded w Lab15 per amp? Not sure if I'll be able to push the cabs to their limits with these amps but I think I'll still have plenty of headroom to spare. So it looks like the main dance floor will have 2 macro-tech 2402's powering 8 Dr280's and 3 macro-tech 3600vz powering 12 T60's! I cant wait to fire this up!

Disco-inferno

#23 Post by Disco-inferno »

hifibob wrote:wow those are powerful! So from what I can tell it looks like I could use the Macro-Tech 2402 to power 2 dr280's per channel? The specs claim 800w at 4 ohms per channel. Will this be enough for the 280's? The Macro-Tech3600vz will output 1565 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I could put 4 T60's loaded w Lab15 per amp? Not sure if I'll be able to push the cabs to their limits with these amps but I think I'll still have plenty of headroom to spare. So it looks like the main dance floor will have 2 macro-tech 2402's powering 8 Dr280's and 3 macro-tech 3600vz powering 12 T60's! I cant wait to fire this up!
when you do I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to witness this! Make sure you set up the camera in an appropriate place so we can see the building come down upon the first bassnotes produced by this monster setup :mrgreen:

VernWilliamson

#24 Post by VernWilliamson »

Hi

I am relatively new to this forum. I am keen to know if you can just use a 'Y' cable to send the input signal the mulit amps from the Xover?
Or should an interium device be use. Like if you plug in lots of head phones into a jack, the signal fades. I ran system with single amps per band (subs, Mids etc) but not system large enough for mulit amps per signal band

Cheers

Bruce Weldy

#25 Post by Bruce Weldy »

VernWilliamson wrote:Hi

I am relatively new to this forum. I am keen to know if you can just use a 'Y' cable to send the input signal the mulit amps from the Xover?
Or should an interium device be use. Like if you plug in lots of head phones into a jack, the signal fades. I ran system with single amps per band (subs, Mids etc) but not system large enough for mulit amps per signal band

Cheers
No need for a Y cable. Just run to one amp, then out of the parallel jack to next and so on.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

netwerks

#26 Post by netwerks »

Bas Gooiker wrote:
hifibob wrote: So should I be looking at the Crown Macro-Tech Series and QSC RMX?
Yes, those are real touring grade amps, as are old Crest. They weigh a ton but are build like a tank and come up cheap on the fleebay quite regular. forgot to mention those in my previous post.
+1 old crest iron is killer 8001, 8002 series - The CA series may also be good but I personally do not have experience with them.
Crown macrotech and Itech are also great options. Itech has DSP built in. These are all touring grade amps and you will need adequate power to run them.

The problem with XTI series is they need full, clean power, otherwise you will get line sag which starts at the bottom end of the frequency spectrum. I use them, love them , lightweight and great for mobile use but I would not use for perm install as there are mo betta options.

I also do know Ashly KLR gets high marks. There are also specific ashly discontinued analog amps with VERY low THD that many people rave on about though I can't remember the model # off the top of my head. Leland or forum member Baron Steve on here may know what they are.

If I were doing a perm install as you are, I would be foregoing weight and dsp while instead looking for less expensive, well cared for old iron analog amps that have very low THD with plenty of headroom and use external DSP and limiters. Clean and fat.

If you shop around you will be amazed at what you can come up with. People dump back breakers relatively cheap and you can find many perm installs that have these amps for sale in theaters etc. that have been very well cared for. Buy a spare and put it in the corner in the event you have one go out. :)

Armchair Pirate

#27 Post by Armchair Pirate »

1x Elder Audio b3 will power 8 bfm Duel 12" T60s with headroom to spare.
Built so far
4x Duel Lab 12 T60 30"

Next
2x DR280
2x D12 T60

hifibob

#28 Post by hifibob »

I did end up picking up some Macro Techs.. Cant wait to try them out!

Bruce Weldy

#29 Post by Bruce Weldy »

hifibob wrote:I did end up picking up some Macro Techs.. Cant wait to try them out!
That is some heavy iron there......bulletproof.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#30 Post by DJPhatman »

hifibob wrote:I did end up picking up some Macro Techs.. Cant wait to try them out!
Anybody game for a welding class? :shock: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice