Bass cab head

Is this amp OK?
Chris_Allen

Bass cab head

#1 Post by Chris_Allen »

I'm looking to build my arsenal by having a spare bass head. Not being a bassist, I'm a little lost.

I'm aiming to buy used, so is there any make/model that you guys can recommend?
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

izzytoots

Re: Bass cab head

#2 Post by izzytoots »

I'm in the same boat. Building a Jack 112 with the 2512's and tweeter array. I'm an amateur bassist, so I'm used to using combo amp and this whole bass head stuff has me lost. I'm building the jack 112 to be used as a nice bass cab to use that will eventually become part of a PA down the road ( when i have more monies).

AntonZ

#3 Post by AntonZ »

I recently purchased a used Tecamp Puma 350 head. Totally love it. I want an amp head to be light weight and compact. For features I want some 300W power, a tuner output, effects loop, mute button, a DI and speakon outputs. The little Tecamp is a good match for those needs. They are rather expensive new, but have excellent quality parts and build.

But that is just what works for me, with my budget and my preferences and needs. What is your budget, and what do you search for in an amp head?

izzytoots

#4 Post by izzytoots »

I'm looking for used or new heads in the $100-150 price range (knida on a limited budget and I'm a novice). As for features, all i really want is the basics, I'm fine with extra filters and finer EQ, but I'm not expecting much with my budget. As for power, I'm building a J112 with the 2512s (250w RMS) and an 8 tweeter straight array, so it doesn't need much power. I would love to have a tube amp, but that is harder to upkeep and probably a lot harder to find in my price range. Also, having an amp that would world well with an electric keyboard would be a big plus, but not essential.

AntonZ

#5 Post by AntonZ »

Not much in terms of new heads to be found in that price range. What could work for you is if you find a well used Peavey TNT combo, 100 - 150W range. They can be found cheap. The only things left running after nuclear winter is cockroaches and Peavey TNT amps.

Strip out the head, do away with the shell and you have a reliable amp head for next to nothing.

Frederic Gelinas

#6 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

How come you need a "spare bass head" if you don't play the bass? I won't argue with you, but if you don't use it, maybe only one would suffice!

If it ever dies or break, I would replace my Eden WT300 with another Eden head.
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

Chris_Allen

#7 Post by Chris_Allen »

Just to keep at home to drive cabs for the odd practice session or for people to borrow with cabs.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

izzytoots

#8 Post by izzytoots »

AntonZ wrote:Not much in terms of new heads to be found in that price range. What could work for you is if you find a well used Peavey TNT combo, 100 - 150W range. They can be found cheap. The only things left running after nuclear winter is cockroaches and Peavey TNT amps.

Strip out the head, do away with the shell and you have a reliable amp head for next to nothing.
I didn't expect to be able to get a new head for 150, but its always worth a try. Ill check out the peavey amp. I'm sure somebody on Craigslist will have one.

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

Hartke 2000 or 3500 may also be a good fit, for both of you. I do not think you will find a 3500 for $150, but there are many of those out there so you might just be lucky. Don't see the 2000 that often, but it has a nice price tag. Not that much audible difference in volume between 200W and 350W. I am not sure about other features of these amps.

izzytoots

#10 Post by izzytoots »

I found a Behringer ultrabass bx4500h for $150 on craiglist from an electronics repair shop. It looks like its in excellent condition.

Gregory East

#11 Post by Gregory East »

How much do you want to spend? Peavey are everywhere, in the UK you have locally made older Ashdown and Trace Elliot, probably MarkBass at better prices than over here. EQ shaping is the go for Jacks, a simple bass mid treble probably won't win fans.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

izzytoots

#12 Post by izzytoots »

I also found a peavey MKIV bass for $150, but I'm having trouble finding anything about it on the internet.

Gregory East

#13 Post by Gregory East »

You can't be searching very hard. Google Peavey mkIV review:

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... OksBZN8y_A
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

izzytoots

#14 Post by izzytoots »

Its actually a MKVI 400, which ruined my search.... thats why i was having such a hard time. Google told me the MKIV was not a bass amp, so i was super confused. But yeah, I'm buying that one for $150. Two of my bass buddies have used that amp before and thought it worked great.

mottlefeeder

#15 Post by mottlefeeder »

Chris,

I'm selling a Hartke HA3000 for £150 and I'm based in the Warrington area. It's the amp I brought to the Omni 10.5/12/15 comparisons that we did in the local church hall a few years ago. It's listed on both Basschat and Finnbass.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54 ... af05c2.jpg

Please let me know if you are interested.

David

Edit - Now sold
Last edited by mottlefeeder on Tue May 07, 2013 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.