QSC PLX built in crossovers

Is this amp OK?
5meohd

QSC PLX built in crossovers

#1 Post by 5meohd »

They are fixed at 100Hz hi or lo pass.

Are these ok? I am planning on switching from my intended Ashly comp/limiter and seperate crossover to BSS. BSS have some great crossovers with limiters built in, but I read they may not be very good limiters. SO. I'm thinking I can get the nice BSS comp/limiter and use the filters built into the PLX's?

thanks
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi

Bruce Weldy

Re: QSC PLX built in crossovers

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Just get a dbx Driverack - it will do everything you need. Those BSS units are really expensive....at least the ones that don't say that they are discontinued.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Jon Barnhardt

#3 Post by Jon Barnhardt »

5meohd wrote:They are fixed at 100Hz hi or lo pass.

Are these ok? I am planning on switching from my intended Ashly comp/limiter and seperate crossover to BSS. BSS have some great crossovers with limiters built in, but I read they may not be very good limiters. SO. I'm thinking I can get the nice BSS comp/limiter and use the filters built into the PLX's?

thanks
They work in a pinch, but it makes you divvy up your amps different than you normally would (each channel is designated top or sub rather than a whole amp). Also there is no configurable low cut (high pass) for your subs (ie: 45 Hz)

5meohd

#4 Post by 5meohd »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Just get a dbx Driverack - it will do everything you need. Those BSS units are really expensive....at least the ones that don't say that they are discontinued.

I firmly believe "you get what you pay for". So, no thanks.
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi

5meohd

#5 Post by 5meohd »

Jon Barnhardt wrote:

thanks
They work in a pinch, but it makes you divvy up your amps different than you normally would (each channel is designated top or sub rather than a whole amp). Also there is no configurable low cut (high pass) for your subs (ie: 45 Hz)

cool. didn't realize it was one switch for the amp.. figured it was two filters: 1 per channel/side. thanks. I will NOT be using them.
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

5meohd wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:Just get a dbx Driverack - it will do everything you need. Those BSS units are really expensive....at least the ones that don't say that they are discontinued.

:shock:

The Driverack isn't good enough, but you want to use the built-in crossovers in the QSC amp?

Maybe you should tell us a little more about what you are doing.....speakers, gear, etc. Sounds like money is no object.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

biggerrigger

#7 Post by biggerrigger »

+1 $500 for the DBX PA+ is not a cheap piece of equipment in my book. Sure I could have spent a lot more money on another piece of equipment with not as many features but it did not make since in my case because I have a mobile rig and size,space,SQ,weight,and durability are of my first requirements.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

sine143

#8 Post by sine143 »

get the driverack.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

DJPhatman

#9 Post by DJPhatman »

5meohd wrote:

And I am a firm believer that "A fool and his money are soon parted".

thanks
The Ashley has better DSP than the BSS. The BSS is way over-priced, with fewer features. Don't want to trust in the Behringer DCX/DEQ combo? I can understand this, as Behringer has a bad reputation. But, dBX is the industry standard, with a long-standing professional track record that is unmatched. Search out a dBX Driverack 260, if you don't get what you pay for in a PA+. Both are better than the BSS $ for $.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bas Gooiker

#10 Post by Bas Gooiker »

DJPhatman wrote: The Ashley has better DSP than the BSS. The BSS is way over-priced, with fewer features. Don't want to trust in the Behringer DCX/DEQ combo? I can understand this, as Behringer has a bad reputation. But, dBX is the industry standard, with a long-standing professional track record that is unmatched. Search out a dBX Driverack 260, if you don't get what you pay for in a PA+. Both are better than the BSS $ for $.
BSS is the industry standard!!! Driverack be it PA, PA+ are nice lower priced units that are enough for most of us.

In my humble opinion the Behringer DCX is the best low budget dsp out there. The limiters are better than the ones in the driverack. 6 fully flexible user assigned output channels. Longer delay time possible. The only thing the Driverack beats the Behringer with is rack space. 1u for the DBX and 2u for the DCX/DEQ combo.

Yes it does say Behringer on the box. But it is in a completely different league from their "dj" range gear or their iNuke amps. :horse:
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

5meohd

#11 Post by 5meohd »

http://www.bssaudio.com/discont_product ... oduct_id=5

NOT DSP :noob:

I need to make my signature read: Sorry! I appreciate your concern, HOWEVER, I desire a FULLY analog system.

I am no fool. BSS has a very strong reputation. However, I am new to this field and I do appreciate everyones help. Things like: I once owned that bss unit and the limiters failed under this stress load or after x amount of years are very helpful.

Things like: buy DBX gear doesn't help, because I won't. I am trying to separate myself from Joe Schmoe as much as possible. I also worked in the returns department at Musicians Friend for 15 months. DBX drive racks returned? at least 1 a week. BSS anything returned? not one on my shift.

Obviously there were many DBX units returned in mint working order.. but still. I am set on the fact that I want HIGH END analog components running Bills designs. If for no other reason than to show you all that it can have a profound impact!!

sorry for :horse:

my sound system is debuting with these guys: https://www.facebook.com/TruthNZ

I want it raw and heavy. .period.
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi

5meohd

#12 Post by 5meohd »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
5meohd wrote:

:shock:

The Driverack isn't good enough, but you want to use the built-in crossovers in the QSC amp?

Maybe you should tell us a little more about what you are doing.....speakers, gear, etc. Sounds like money is no object.

good point. however.. the PLX series are pretty expensive and a single crossover filter really shouldn't be too expensive of a component, even with really nice parts. I've also realized that there are different levels of DBX driveracks.. some of which are quite pricey and I'm sure they are fantastic. However, I am craving the analog flavor, as well as, the style and mentality of seperate components. Which is exactly why I started this thread asking about the BSS crossover's LIMITERS.. if they suck I'll dis-engage them and buy some BSS limiter/compressors. I have connections on getting these items from the manufacturers and I also have a slew of promoters itching to pay me to use a super high quality rig for electronic dance music events.
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi

Grant Bunter

#13 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ok, you want to go analogue.
No problem.

Forget brand name.
Find an analogue limiter that can do a 48dB LR slope, with 1dB increments in reduction, and buy that.
The whole idea of brick wall limiting is to protect the other part of your rig, the drivers.
So the steeper the slope, with the most limiting possible, the better.
If you can't find an analogue unit that can do at least 24dB LR where it counts most, and you blow drivers at your gigs, well, it's your bread and butter, and the artists rep at stake.

Having said all that, for any of the DSP's, it's analogue at the input, and output. It's only digital in between. Joke.

What astounds me though, is you want to do this for electronic dance music. Isn't a lot of that digitally produced?
Old school rock I could understand, but...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

5meohd wrote: I desire a FULLY analog system.
Maybe that should have been stated at the beginning. We don't typically get folks on the forum who are willing to spend thousands on their limiters and crossovers, but want to save bucks on their speakers by building them themselves.

What speakers are you planning to build?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

5meohd

#15 Post by 5meohd »

Grant Bunter wrote:Ok, you want to go analogue.

What astounds me though, is you want to do this for electronic dance music. Isn't a lot of that digitally produced?
Old school rock I could understand, but...
yeah thats the point. some of it can be so cold.. my system will warm it right up.

and tbh I'm not even a purist.. I DJ with a laptop & produce with a laptop.. that said, my partner in the project spends hundreds of dollars a month on new vinyl and he will be the resident on this system... we are fascinated by the fact that his set will be 100% analog considering our dj mixer is the all analog allen & heath xone 92

once its set I may change my mind.. gotta learn the hard way.
4 T60's
2 Danley Sound Labs SH69

Ashley Protea
QSC PLX2
Crown CDi